Oversteer? Understeer?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by me you, Jan 21, 2018.

1. me you

me you Registered

[[When racing the AI you have to accept there are differences in speed around the track]]

Yeah i guess that is pretty much the bottom line for this issue-

[[any differences to other human players can be attributed to differences in setup.]]

Yep- I've seen cars that just seem like their tires are made of super glue- I put it down to car setup that legue simmers might have over casual racers- probably using different tires than what is available as stock setups

2. Christos Segkounas

Christos Segkounas Registered

I think you misinterpreted what I said.
    A car that is setup differently will not glue harder to the track, it will go around corners differently, in a way that makes sense to it's driver so they can replicate their driving corner after corner and lap after lap.
    So it may handle better through some corners and worse through others, the driver has to realize there are always compromises to be made.
    A formula is a different animal with selection of overall downforce vs top speed, tin tops on the other hand, when you acquire enough experience you will find that all setups,for all their differences, pretty much produce the same laptime, given enough time to get used to them.
    Casual racers suffer from lack of practice.
    The tires available are available to all.
    Fast drivers will go fast on any setup, if they have the time and inclination to practice they will fine tune the setup so they feel the car doesn't have any vices, tire wear is even all around, they do not lock up or die on the brakes, etc.
    Even the huge rear wing on some tin tops is not to make the car go round corners quicker by adding more downforce or down the straight quicker by reducing it.
    It is there to balance out the chassis and if you have understeer for example then reducing the rear wing actually would make a car go round the corner quicker.
    So take it one step at the time, start pounding in the the laps and gradually you will be able to recognize things on the car you could change to make it a little more cooperative.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2018
    misi likes this.
  3. me you

me you Registered

[[The tires available are available to all.]]

I read leagues have different tires than what is available to casual simmers- league only cars- like super soft tires whereas casual player will only have choice of soft, medium or hard-- is that not correct? Watching some folks on youtube from leagues use cars you can see they aren't sliding where the car we would use would slide easily with stock tires-

[[So take it one step at the time, start pounding in the the laps and gradually you will be able to recognize things on the car you could change to make it a little more cooperative.]]

Good advice- Yeah i've been putting i n the hours- although lately I'm obsessed with the hill climb in assetto corsa trento bondone- wow what a hard road coarse- will have to break away from it soon though- taking up too much time lol-

4. Christos Segkounas

Christos Segkounas Registered

No, where did you read that.
    New and inexperienced simmers will quite frequently look at all the wrong reasons for their lack of pace.
    This is the best excuse I have read yet.
    Usually they will attribute their lack of pace to the faster drivers using super fast setups.
    Special tires?
    That's a new one.
    The only valid excuse is practice and also experience with pretty much everything racing that the regulars have.
    And having to learn all the tracks is also a contributing factor to a new simmer struggling a bit.
    The mind of the new simmer will always have the doubt in the corner about what is costing him the time lost on track.
    But those who "have it" will end up up there, just a matter of time and practice and acquiring the experience required.
    Nothing wrong with casual racing though, so long as one do not torture his mind about his pace.
    You will see your performance gradually improve if you persist and then you will slowly realize that, if there's time you are finding just by driving better, adjusting the car to suit your driving style, being more calm on the track under pressure etc then there is zero point in looking elsewhere.
    Unless one hit a wall with their speed and can no longer improve then there's zero point in looking at other factors for not being as fast as some others.

5. Comante

Comante Registered

Actually he is right, in several champs I've partecipated tire performance was tweaked to suit the need of league admin. this mean that they use a different MOD even if the car look the same. Unless you download the very same mod, you can't really compare.

6. me you

me you Registered

thank you commante- I've suspected that might be the case watching several youtube videos and watching the performance of the tires on the tracks as compared to the other cars on the track at the time- (And that's fine that they should be using special setups- they';ve certainly earned them with all the hard work they've put in learning to race- I didn't bring it up to disparaged leaguers at all for certain- just to point out that i suspected they might have setups we don't- and like i said- I'm perfectly fine with that)

I know they tune their cars in such ways that I'm not familiar with beign a newbie and gain a speed/grip advantage that way- but when i watched a certain youtubber with a mod car (which i have the same mod) going around a track and cornering at speeds I can't do without tire slipping somewhat at least- it makes one wonder - I'm familiar with the tire sound differences between say soft and super soft- and familiar enough with how the two grip to know that when a tire should be complaining under stress, but isn't, it's likely because the tire is a supersoft- and watching the video it sure seems to indicate that the person is using a supersoft- something that isn't available to casual gamers- I don;t bring this up to accuse anyone of 'cheating' because obviously it's not- or to make excuses for why i can't match their speeds around corners- only to point out that there really does appear to be a difference- perhaps they use soft and somehow tweak them? I don't know- maybe it's just their car setup that makes all the difference? I don't know- I just know that when they are taking a corner at near 300kph and there is no tire squeel where there 'should be'- it seems to indicate the tires are performing at supersoft standards-

Last edited: Jan 27, 2018
  7. me you

me you Registered

[[The mind of the new simmer will always have the doubt in the corner about what is costing him the time lost on track.]]

No there is no doubt as to why i am slower- I'm fully aware I don't;' drive as well yet- my question however has to do with what I wrote above- tires that should be 'complaining' under stress but not seems to indicate not super fantastic driving, but rather a super soft construction that grips better than soft or other tires- I had read it somewhere before that leagues have league specific setups, and that is what i was wondering if they had some kind of tire setup or used supersoft when they aren't available to casual gamers- that's all- not accusing anyone of anything or making excuses for anything-- When they are taking corners faster than anyone else, and their tires aren't complaining like they would if they were soft compound, then it would appear they are using super soft- I've even taken the same course with a different car that had super soft tires to test it myself, and sure enough, I was getting similar lack of squeal on said corners- that is what made me think, along with hte comment i read, that perhaps leagues have their own setups that aren't available to casual gamers-

I downloaded a car that someone here recommended that has the super soft tires- and supposedly league quality car setup- and wow- what a difference between it and standard mod cars- Here's the link if interested: http://www.internationalsimracing.com/forum/index.php?topic=4477.0

but anyways- This has nothing to do with me trying to make excuse for anything- and only to do with what i read and what now Comante seems to verify- This isn't an indictment against leagues or anything- I don't htink they are cheating- and I'm not making excuses for my pace- I only brought it up based on my observation of some youtube videos that i suspected might have used supersoft tires based on my observations and noticing the lack of tire complaining on certain corners where there should have been more had they been using soft only- I'm not the only one wondering such things, under their videos, there are a number of folks bringing it up- When i see them takign those corners and not hearign the tires complaining as I think they should, had they been using soft- then knowign what I know of the supersoft tires, and how they perform, my mind thinks they might be using super softs- that's all-

Is the person just really that good? Perhaps. Is it possible leagues use tires that aren't available to casual racers? Perhaps-

I thank you for your advice, but you are mistaken as to why i brought it up

8. Comante

Comante Registered

it's not a cheat as all the player that partecipate in a championship have the same car and tires. The difference between fast driver .. not hot lappers, is that they DON'T stress tires. It's quite hard and require to train a lot, but with practice you will be able to be really really fast minimizing all inputs on your control, this will turn in fast laps as everything you do in a lap cost you time. The trick is to do a lap doing the minimum number of actions possible.

9. caravan_driver

caravan_driver Registered

In Silverstone with the FISI 2012 Ive used the "issue understeer, mid corner" to turn easier, pressures on min and throttle sensitivity on min to have slower non linear pedal. 1:29:900 with the SS (the tyre choice can be edited in the car files).
    Unrelated, I think the default setup, physics or the track are a little bit too different from RL because these could make more corners with DRS open. I don't know of course. Just pulling out of my...

10. me you

me you Registered

Yeah, I didn't mean to imply they were cheating in any way- that's why I say I have no issue with their different setups- they wrk hard to get where they are, and deserve better car setups- I was just curious about it is all-

[[The trick is to do a lap doing the minimum number of actions possible.[/]]

Yup that's what I'm striving for- trying to hit marks consistently every time- I haver a long way to go, but am getting a bit better- although today I did the Silverstone track again and couldn't hit my 1:11 lap times was consistent around 1:16- seems like I de-gressed a bit- I'll try agai ntonight when I'm rested more-

11. me you

me you Registered

Thanks I'll check that out- most of wht you said went over my head though lol-

12. Comante

Comante Registered

A very fast and consistent driver in my league taught me to do this to turn faster : fill the tank, put the hardest tire, and lap until you end the fuel or the tires, DO NOT CARE about times. Once you can do this, you can try a qualify configuration (softer tires, empty tank), times will come without effort. I found that this is very very good advice: not only you will learn to be cleaner in your inputs, you will be able have good tires for longer.

marmagas, ceecee and SPASKIS like this.
  13. me you

me you Registered

thanks comante- that sounds like sound advice- I will do so tonight- I'll try to get the tires to last the whole tank- I am rough on tires- but mostly due to the sliding/drifting I experience in the long curves- I'm ok on corners although I could use improvement- it's just the sliding that causes me to stress the tires so much- as I try to constantly compensate for the drift- to keep it ontrack

14. Comante

Comante Registered

Well it actually depend which car you are talking about.. a brabham BT20 is pretty much expected to drift continously, a modern F1.. not so much. A modern F1 to me is the worst tool to teach yourself about how to drive.

15. AMillward

AMillward Registered

Start in the Skippy and work up through Formula Renault and up to F1.

mesfigas likes this.
  16. caravan_driver

caravan_driver Registered

On the first post you said it was Silverstone GP.
    You are using another track configuration to make 1:11. The current F1 pole is 1:26 and the 2011 car made 1:30.

17. bwana

bwana Registered

In over 13 years of league racing I’ve only driven in 2 series that had custom tyres , it’s not a common ocurance .

Last edited: Jan 29, 2018
    AMillward likes this.
  18. AMillward

AMillward Registered

Think FSR tweaks the tyres to suit their mods, David O'Reilly will be able to confirm if this is the case.

bwana likes this.
  19. bwana

bwana Registered

yes l believe so but they are not the only league but do have a very high profile on YouTube .

20. AMillward

AMillward Registered

Last year's cars were a modified FSOne 2009 mod from rf1 but we're so fun to drive and could be driven with minimal setup knowledge.

bwana likes this.