Oversteer? Understeer?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by me you, Jan 21, 2018.

1. me you

me you Registered

no, it was silverstyone gp that i made the 1:11 on and do so farily consistently on this track- it's the 1975 version track i believe- i think there are two different silverstone GP's, one earleir track and one later one- I'm just using the stock GP track that came with hte game-

2. caravan_driver

caravan_driver Registered

Help me with my driving guys.
    I know nothing about anything. But then an user noticed understeer in my setup through this slip angle graph.
    Silverstone FISI 2012, softs. 1:30.1
    [​IMG]

I gave it a quick search on google and what it gave me was this:
    [​IMG]
    And this:
    [​IMG]

What is wrong with me? Is the setup in a way to be too easy?

3. Comante

Comante Registered

To me the graph say that you steer too much , probably to compensate for too much speed on entry. If this is not the case increase front wing. If it is the case remember : slow enter , fast exit.

caravan_driver likes this.
  4. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

In my understanding, the above 10 degree slip angles for optimum grip shown in the graph are too much. In a quick search I found this which points to a 6-10 range for optimum performance.

http://www.formula1-dictionary.net/slip_angle.html

In any case in rfactor2 you can also check how the grip coefficient evolves for different slip angles.
    For Callaway Corvette, peak grip angle is around 6. In your case you will find if you are surpassing the highest grip slip angle which would confirm you are turning the wheel too much. I left the formulas in the low right corner of the picture
    upload_2018-2-12_20-24-10.png

Last edited: Feb 12, 2018
  5. caravan_driver

Thank you for helping a lot.
    To me it just looks ugly.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 12, 2018
  6. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

Dont worry if one of the sides of the graph is ugly. If you plot both wheels from the same axis you will get the full picture. The fact that not a perfect curve is obtained could be because the tire working at incorrect temperatures or due to tire load extreme situations.

As you can see you are not gaining much grip above 5 degrees where the non linear part of the graph starts. Above that value you pretty much overheat the tire and get understeery behaviour (in this case since it affects front tires). According to your slip angle graph you should have higher front tire temperatures.
    Consider in order to simplify it that part of the slip angle is not sliding itself but tire deformation (tire squeezing) which doesn't heat tires as much as the real sliding which starts at 5 degree angle approx.

7. me you

me you Registered

so what would y7ou change to change slip aNGLE? And would it apply to all tires, not just the soft? Or is it tire compound specific?

8. me you

me you Registered

which track is the 2912 one? Is that a custom map? In my Silverstone dropdown list all I have are Silverstone GT, Silverstone international, and Silverstone national? The GT map the best I can do is 1:45- the national and international maps I'm doing about .40 seconds

9. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

FISI 2012 = formula ISI 2012.
    It's not a track version but a car

10. me you

me you Registered

oh ok- what track is he getting 1:30 on? Silverstone GT? International? National? I can only manage a 1:45 on the GT track and that's with ultra soft tires

11. caravan_driver

This is the car in the steam workshop.
    This is the track. Choose GT config on the in game menu.
    You are probably using another car.
    There is no ultrasoft in FISI 2012.

12. me you

me you Registered

the ASR formula 2017 car has the ones with the purple stripe on them which i believe is the ultra soft- i'll have to check it- (Yup it's got ultrasofts) I'll give that FISI car a try tonight- but really the o ne i use has tremendous grip and gets up to speed really quick- shoudl be able to do 1:30 or better with it, but can't seem ot get there yet- I'm not real familiar with the GT track yet- maybe i can fidn another 15 seconds somewhere to bring it down- The sharp chicanes at end really slow me down- i think i lose quite a bit there-

ok tried the FISI 2012- wow- if you get 1:30 with that car on this track kudos to your driving skills- I can only manage a 1:54 as my best lap with that car- way too slippy for me on this particular track (but on other tracks it really shines for me- very fast car)

Last edited: Feb 13, 2018
  13. hitm4k3r

hitm4k3r Registered

As I see alot of people recommending to change wings and stuff, I thought I would chime in as I made that mistake aswell in the past when I started simracing. In theory that's one of the last things you do do counter over or understeer. Even simply increasing or decreasing rideheight can give you more or less grip. Normaly I start with reducing the rideheight on most tracks, but be carefull. On bumpy tracks or high curbs you will lose the car when it bottoms out in extreme conditions. Another thing that is convinient is tuning stuff on the mechanical side of things first, especialy tire pressures. There is quite a good table with some rough guidance:

Car_Setup_Guide.PNG

SPASKIS likes this.
  14. caravan_driver

About ride height. After the DX11 update there is some "stepping" in some tracks.
    You can check that in first corner at Silverstone for example. The tarmac color changes and the car bottoms out.
    The AI suffers even more.
    It was officially fixed. But it is still there.

15. caravan_driver

You surely are not using the more grippy options.
    Realroad, Minimum tyre pressures, longer first gear (use the little graph on the menu to make smooth steps).
    [​IMG]
    Couldnt find IRL telemetry from Silverstone.
    This is Spa from caterham renault. Dont know why the throttle is so different:
    [​IMG]

This is another driver.

16. Lazza

Lazza Registered

The best, most effective, easiest (sort of) and global way to change slip angle: your steering wheel :D

ALL understeer is caused by turning the steering wheel too much*. If you accept that as fact (which it is) you can try to find ways to improve your driving. If you instead assume it's something with the setup you'll make very very slow progress.

It feels natural to turn the steering wheel more when you want to turn more. It works that way most of the time, really all the time when driving a real car on a road in dry conditions - turn the wheel a little to turn a little, turn it more to turn more. Easy. Problem is when you approach, or exceed, the level of available grip, turning the wheel more doesn't make you turn more. It can make you turn less immediately, and then quickly cause you to have even less turning ability because your front tyres are overheating.

Plus, when you finally slow down enough to allow your front wheels to grip again, you've got them turned too far and you lose the rear end.

So, step 1: learn to turn your wheel less, and learn to recognise when turning it more isn't helping. Get on a small track with few corners (avoid small chicanes for now, they just take time away from you) - Lime Rock Park is a good one that comes to mind - do enough laps that you're doing consistent times (don't try to drive fast, just drive the same every lap), and then pick one long corner that will give you time to see what's going on. When you're in the middle of that corner, at your normal speed, quickly turn the wheel more than you normally do. You should find the car doesn't turn more than you already were. You should also hear the front tyres scrubbing across the road surface. That's wasted steering input causing understeer, and that's what you want to avoid doing.

If you teach yourself to steer correctly, how can you make the car corner faster? Enter the corner at the right speed (not too fast), use weight transfer to get more weight on the front wheels (this can require a faster entry speed, causing understeer if you get it wrong - getting the balance right isn't straightforward), and finally (lastly) car setup to help as well.

I suspect your driving isn't yet at a level where anything but major setup problems are slowing you down. I would suggest staying away from F1 cars until you learn the basics, as everything happens too fast to easily learn driving techniques.

*'too much' means 'more than the car in its current position and velocity can handle'

17. me you

me you Registered

I don't know how to get the graphs, or how to even read them or what they mean- I'm a complete newbie when it comes to this stuff I wouldn't even know what to change and look for in the graph to see if it's helping or not--- are there any other grippy options to try? The ISI car with the soft tires is just really slippy on the track for me- nothing like the ultra soft tires that grip awesomely-

18. me you

me you Registered

My problem was that something was messed up I believe due to a bad mod or something- once I did a reinstall, the grip was much much better- my driving habits didn't change, so that tells me it was something about the messed up game that was causing it- I don't get the understeer anymore like I used to- it was so bad before it was making me incapable of competing because the AI didn't have the same issue I did- and I couldn't take the long sweeping corners at full throttle like I can now without any understeer-

[[use weight transfer to get more weight on the front wheels]]

Yeah I've learned to do that and it has helped a lot-

[[I suspect your driving isn't yet at a level where anything but major setup problems are slowing you down.]]

As stated- it did have to do with setup that was messed up somehow- the reinstall of the game fixed it- I have no idea what it did, but something definitely has changed and I am driving the long sweeping corners where I was having trouble before without all the understeer I was getting-

To add to that in nascar tracks, the cars would pull so bad to the left that I couldn't keep the car on the track- I had to adjust rear toe almost all the way to get it to stop pulling so bad- After the reinstall however, The car no longer pulled to the left- and I'm talking it was so bad it would pull me right into the walls on the left- it was unplayable- but after the reinstall, there is no hard pulling to the left anymore and nascar tracks are actually fun now lol-

Something definitely was messed up before- I just wish I knew what caused it- I had several threads here discussing the issues I was having- I had no idea it was because the game was messed up- I went weeks thinking it was just how the game was created- little did I know it wasn't-

19. Lazza

Lazza Registered

@me you I know that, I wasn't referring to the problem you were having before. You were talking about slip angle, I'm explaining that excessive slip angle (sliding) at the front wheels is caused by your steering wheel.

20. me you

me you Registered

oh, that was before, slip angle isn;t really an issue any longer thanks to the reinstall- I'm more thank pleased with how they handle now- makes for a fun experience rather than a battle to keep car competative (especially where i hadn't a clue how to do that with setup changes- now i don't hav to worry abou it- i just use the standard setups and they perform quite nicely- allowing me to more conceentrate on driving improvements isntead of worrying about setup changes all the time)

Now, if i could just get 1:30 on Silverstone- my best laps so far were 1:40.4 and 1:42- although i average more arond 1:48 or so- gotta squeeze about 10-18 more seconds off soemhow- (kudos to those doing 1:30 with just soft tires- I'm using super softs and ultra softs and still can't find those other 10 seconds for soem reason-)