Not this again

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Spinelli, Dec 7, 2014.

1. Jamie Shorting

Jamie Shorting Registered

You don't NEED to use the clutch in real life either, just saying. Not sticking up for ISI's transmission model btw.

2. lordpantsington

lordpantsington Registered

If the method is clearly the reason for others going more quickly, why aren't you using it?

3. PRC Steve

PRC Steve Registered

How the hell can team speak be a cheat. Its essential for league racing/coordinating. A cheat makes you faster. How can team speak do that. How can a HUD make you faster. How can a virtual mirror make you faster ? Safer yes... faster No.

4. Guimengo

Guimengo Guest

About original post

Damage simulation, timely scaled if necessary too. Maybe the car can last on a hotlap or a couple of laps under normal speed (yes, sometimes breaking right off the bat) and much sooner with acceleration. In GPL you could get away with a few things but speed shifting (not lifting throttle) with proper simulation on longer races was suicide.

5. bwana

bwana Registered

it will only make a lot of users have to drop RF2. me included

6. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

I would like a regular rF3 with everything that rF2 has now.

Then a Pro version.

;)

I don't know why people are so adverse to this concept.

I mean for one you would not have a Pro driver in the standard version complaining about how people use their pedals.

That would be rather pathetic, wouldn't it when he has his own version with proper clutch, etc. ? loool
    Jk Spin Jk mate. ;)

" you can lead a horse to water but you can't make it drink "

You would be free to buy rF3 standard or Pro and race with people that are more aligned to what they want and like.

A Pro version would have extra online features ( like validated mods and tracks ) and be the league version standard.

Does not mean you can't run open F3-ROOKIES rooms with it ???.

Equally a rookie who improves out of sight could buy the Pro version and step up.

Get a discount for buying both versions.

Yes you can turn off everything in irrelevant menus and race Pro races in rFactor2

But that is not the point

Look at me I run my room with more aids then most.

When you push the tyres 4x and fuel and do 30 minutes races with pit stops rookies start to drop off the room, it becomes 90% skinned cars.

So rather then push my settings so better drivers can enjoy more a challenge and have people leaving rooms why not just buy the Pro version instead ? As everyone that buys it will be aware of what they got into to.

I am sure I would be out of my depth in the Pro version, a new learning curve....cool.

I rely on so much fantasy stuff in eve F3 I am embarrassed sometimes, if it was not there I would not use, simple as that for me.

I hope you can understand more then 15% of that Bwana. :)

7. bwana

bwana Registered

Yep I get you DD. I'm sure I would probably extend my mortgage and buy a top of the line wheel /pedal set and take up the challenge. For now and rf2 as it is suits my hyperstim and 2 pedals.. ;-)

8. willz

willz Registered

i looked at the price of iracing and have to agree that it really is the closest thing to real racing in real terms, so i came up with the answer ! people that prefer iracing should stick to it and people that like rf2 should stick to that, wow isn`t life simple

9. Adrian

Adrian Registered

I can ask the Fia if you want but I'm pretty sure that just because they limit communications in 1 of about 31 championships they don't consider it cheating.

Also I'd go further and say that anyone driving a mid to top level car isn't simulating the sport unless they have at least a race engineer talking to them throughout the race.

I'd like to add one more thing to your RF3 pro list. The only supported display devices would be Virtual Reality headsets as they are just as an important part of simulating driving as FFB is.

;)

10. Rich Goodwin

Rich Goodwin Registered

I use mumble when I race because sim racing is almost as much a social experience as a racing one for me.

It's not like it makes me any faster chatting to my buddy while I drive.

11. matf1

matf1 Registered

That's why I admire you and empty. I can't concentrate with people talking. Even a thanks mid corner can break my concentration.

And because I can't seem to make a post that is not ot to op. Racers always try to find an edge. Join them or just race in your pack. My best races are not the wins but rather the pack battles with like minded racers.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

12. speed1

speed1 Banned

While it depends on the car, technics, balance and setup in real how the drive axle will react , the gearing may could simply locked if the transmission is out of sync.

The thing is that only an effect of miss shifting by locking would be again not realistic enough, because of all the differences in technics and it's result.

The holding throttle thing while braking i don't know and if that makes driving that much faster but it sounds like driving a kart and is not unrealistic for car controle at all.

13. K Szczech

K Szczech Registered

You post something like that just 11 minutes after your previous post, yet it took you 17 minutes to respond to his post. Relax :)

Your posts are badly formatted, made of half-sentences and full of "lol"'s, "omg"'s and other unnecessary things. you also seem to be jumping from one thought to another and generally not making much sense.

Of course it's your choice how you want to express yourself, but I it does not serve you well when you communicate like that.

14. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

It has nothing to do with hardware. The issues I pointed to in the OP can be done with autoclutch on or off. Keeping your throttle at a constant 20% while braking hard in a classic F3 at top speed, and banging down from 5th to 2nd or even 1st with complete stability, is complete nonsense. Driving modern day BTCC/WTCC type cars with 40% throttle while you have 70% brake applied, while your braking for and/or entering corners is also complete nonsense. This nonsense can be done with autoclutch on or off.

Having said that, I don't have a clutch pedal at the moment and I still don't use auto clutch. There is absolutely no reason to. Like in real life, you lift the gas on the upshifts and blip on the downshifts, I have been doing this with no autocluch for years.

The only times I enable autoclutch are in cars that are supposed to use autolift and/or autoblip which don't have autolift and autoblip setup in the physics file and therefore must have autoclutch enabled in order for the autolift and autoblip to work. Disabling autoclutch would sometimes not allow autolift and autoblip to work in some cars in rF1, but that problem is mostly gone now in rF2 where autoblip and autolift are much more commonly programmed into the car's physics file and therefore don't rely on autoclutch having to be enabled.

I think it's something in the physics engine of the vehicle handling (maybe tyres, but maybe not) that allows issue #1 (issue #2 is probably more transmission/clutch/driveline modelling). I also believe that part of the rear-end rotation problems I've highlighted in some other threads (ISI vette thread, and a few other threads over the past few years) allows people to use issue #1 to go faster.

P.S. On a seperate note, there should be both, large weight penalties and slow-ass shifts, for people using auto-clutch. You should learn how to lift the gas on upshifts (or keep the throttle flat since rF2 allows you to get away with that, regardless of car) and blip the throttle for each downshift.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 8, 2014
  15. GTClub_wajdi

GTClub_wajdi Registered

I don't use clutch,( I have always been left brake foot) because I never use historic cars and I drive only GT's, only modern GT's, but when I use some Classic car( rarely) I try to simulate the clutch by cutting the throttle.

16. Fabio Pittol

Fabio Pittol Registered

It's amazing how hysterical you became with my post, which wasn't direct to you at all! :rolleyes:

First of all, have you heard something called Time Zone? I guess so. Right now, Brazil and Australia (Sydney) are 13 hours apart from each other, and as most of the humans do, I usually sleep at night! :cool:

About the topic subject itself, I don't really get why you deviated to completely different stuff. Yeah, I agree with you that a lot of features like HUD, track map etc. aren't very realistic. And I do appreciate the iRacing approach regarding the ESC function and tire telemetry. No argument on that. I didn't mention my opinion about it!!!

What I was talking about was my personal opinion, regarding unrealistic style of driving, just because the simulador doesn't have the depth of detail enought to punish you as real racing would do. I saw people hotlapping with the Megane Trophy at Surfers Paradise on rFactor1 by jumping with the 4 wheels over those high and hard curbs, a real Megane, with it's prototype-like chassis won't survive a whole lap like this. But, some people satisfy themselfs by doing it. For me it's lame. But what can I do?

Another example, was a bug a few builds ago in iRacing that allowed you to go faster by setting inverted camber on NASCAR Trucks at ovals. Pretty cool, uh? I guess I just saw Chad Knaus doing that on the #48 last race! :rolleyes: But, then again, some people find it ok.

Also, some people find enterntaining to spend hours here trolling others, calling everybodys opinion crap etc. Yeah, that's how humans are, aren't they?

At last, I seriously can't see what's so harmful in previous post. I was just trying to state the actual search for more realistic behaviour on computer simulators. Isn't it the point of this whole thing?

17. Eduard Mallorquí

Eduard Mallorquí Banned

I wouldn't blame the driver because he tries to go as fast as he can, just blame ISI and their physics.

18. P.S.R.

P.S.R. Registered

One of the many reasons I dove offline only for a long time is that people would not drive properly but now I am fast enough to keep up with most even if they are not driving properly and if I have to choose whether to win or drive correctly I will drive correctly. But I don't blame drivers who succumb to driving incorrectly if they would not be able to keep up otherwise but I personally prefer offline than driving incorrectly online.

19. karkai6

karkai6 Registered

True that!!! As a racing driver, your job is to optimize everything to be the quickest. If it requires one to hold a 40% throttle while braking, it has to be done. I would not fault the driver for doing that at all. It is ISI's responsibility to make sure such things cannot be done.

At the end of the day, it depends on whether you are sim-racing to be the fastest or to simulate real driving. If sim-racing to be the fastest, part of the job description is to find such unfair advantages!!

P.S Calling drivers who use such techniques as lesser drivers is not fair btw. Lot of cars in real rife require really wierd techniques to get around quickly.

20. speed1

speed1 Banned

Yes that sounds like nonsense, especially in the old machinery whith lots of movements and rough transitions, but if the speed is well balanced and matches the gear it still could work. More tricky and dangerous it becomes when doing this with some steering input, that sounds more nonsense to me as if doing that on the straight, apart from the ability to shift without to sync the transmission.

I don't know about the software but in general holding throttle while braking can be used to keep the drive axle turning. This can be to avoid lock ups on the drive axle, have load on the engine, some torque applying on drive train, ..........ready to explode when lifting the brake. In general it can soften the transition between decc and acc when used correct. Of course the modulation is tricky but depending on the car not impossible at all.

Spinelli is that while already cornering with the downshifting ?