Communities and the re-activation

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Valter Cardoso, Jun 23, 2014.

1. metalnwood

metalnwood Registered

No, you cannot auto update the sim but like most software you can manually download the updated software and install it so you are not behind.

There doesn't appear to be an update.exe, patch file so you have to download the whole rflite install. No real issue for me either but I am hoping to get confirmation that I can install it directly over my existing install and not lose my settings, mods etc.

2. FOG>Daheee

FOG>Daheee Registered

Same here I need to just update to the new build, I do not have time to mess around doing a fresh install even if it is the lite version. ISI please make this possible, if some of us enjoy the newer builds then we may renew our subscription.

3. 1959nikos

1959nikos Registered

Yes you can afaik, copy your UserData and Packages folders just in case.

4. Lazza

Lazza Registered

What you looking for? There are changes mentioned, mainly the rate but also some other things that haven't been detailed yet.

No, not strange, and really shouldn't be confusing. If you read what the site says (and was stated on this forum a number of times) you'd know auto update is part of the online services.

5. D.Painter

D.Painter Registered

Are you sure? Reads to me like why bother joining a league if you can't win!
    That's why I wrote I was surprised by the comment.
    Maybe I was wrong but reading it now still reads the same to me.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 2, 2014
  6. Lazza

Lazza Registered

In the context of your post that he quoted, it struck me as an ironic dig at what was being said that you had replied to - so in agreement with you.

7. Rich Goodwin

Rich Goodwin Registered

Back to the numbers in servers point;

Through my community I've run iRacing series now for just under two years and about 2-3 months a go decided to expand on to rFactor 2. In honesty, the numbers attending are almost exactly the same on both services.

With regards to the re-activation, people have odd rationale for not doing it. They enjoy rF2 but think it's a rip-off to pay $12 a year to play it online.....then go over to iRacing and pay them $99 for two years service as well as more for all of their content. This isn't a post just to bash iRacing, as I am paid up there for over a year and also near enough 100% content owner.....

I just wonder if this $12 a year and the benefits of it to ISI and rF2 as a company and as a product are not communicated well enough? I personally saw buying lifetime as my way of investing or rather supporting the product and it's further development. rFactor 2 seems to be completely saturated with misinformation in the wider community and it baffles me as to why. Tim is so active and always posting to clear up things, seen him on social media doing the same. I do as best I can, as do others.

I don't know why, but rF2 isn't seen as good value at $12. It puzzles me.....

Sorry for the long post, I kind of just went off on one....

8. Miro

Miro Registered

Because it runs on dx9, isn't on steam, doesn't charge for DLC and it actually is rf1.5 and blablalblablalblablab ;)

Now seriously, IMO it's too cheap. They should charge like 30-50 bucks or more a year than people would shut up or just pay.

9. D.Painter

D.Painter Registered

Yeah ok. So he was being sarcastic (tongue in check.) I did try to see it that way. It's hard to read the written word in it's correct context without description. When the spoken word is easier by tone.
    I think if people tried using description a bit more there could be far less misunderstanding.

10. ForthRight

ForthRight Registered

I did not know this, I have been too busy to read the forum and site recently, but now I know and it's truly a wonderful thing.

Thanks for taking the time.

11. P.S.R.

P.S.R. Registered

Nope. I didn't. Here is your point to which I was responding. Nothing more :)

12. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

You do know that when someone quotes you, it doesn't automatically mean they disagree, right? Feel free to think about that in the future. :)

A lot of times, someone might quote you and, you know, maybe make a little comment in agreement. Wink wink.

13. 88mphTim

You can update, just not through our auto update servers. Download the Lite installer.

14. 88mphTim

We're talking about it, as we do with any feedback, but currently you cannot auto update. A fresh install *shouldn't* be required.

15. 88mphTim

It seems your Australian to English translation service is working very well. :)

16. 88mphTim

lol, that is a genuine marketing tactic I studied in college, but I don't think it's very nice. Haagen Daas ice cream did it to appear to be a premium ice cream, and yes it's happened in subscription based software as well. Price it higher, and people genuinely have a higher respect and appreciation for it, they'll even more vigorously defend it - as they are financially invested. It's like expensive face cream, women will go out and buy it, rather than a no-name brand with the same ingredients. :)

17. 88mphTim

It isn't recent, it's said it since before rF2 was available to the public. :) I just think people forgot, which is fine. lol

18. Valter Cardoso

Valter Cardoso Registered

Easy:

CRACK

And im not talking about some drug which drivers use to become rf1 addicted :D
    I bet something around 80% of actual rf1 users didnt bought the game. If suddenly RF1 matchmaker denies cracked exe from joining servers you would see even less people there.

Make some rf2 crack that allow online racing and you´ll start to see tons of people in servers. Absurde but true.

19. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

Good and important point that I missed!

20. Guimengo

Guimengo Guest

Haagen Dasz is also from Brooklyn, NY, only named that way to have a Swiss/Austrian chocolate appeal.