Nvidia users: Better visuals at the same performance? Yes! And YOUR help is needed!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Robert Gödicke, Mar 30, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Robert Gödicke

Robert Gödicke Registered

Yes, that's exactly the issue. You have the setting and options all there in your control panel, but they are broken on newer cards and do nothing. Clamp is not working, that's why I want to gather as many voices as possible to post in their forums, telling them they broke the feature and should fix it again. :)

Pretty brave move. I was too cautious to install a driver when I don't know its origin. But good to hear that it's working for you, which means Nvidia should have no problems fixing their driver themselves (if we keep bugging them a little more, that is, so keep posting over at their forums to let them know us rFactorarians need that feature).
    Have you tried rFactor 1 as well by chance to see if the jaggies are gone there as well?

2. Dnelpm

Dnelpm Registered

Yes, I have tried rfactor 1 too and the jaggies are gone, it looks great now

Enviado desde mi iPhone con Tapatalk

3. F1Fan07

F1Fan07 Member

Interesting. I have enough drive issues as it is that I'm not going to try an unofficial driver but I've battled jaggies at some rF1 tracks for years while other tracks are perfect. This may indicate there's hope for a solution.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 31, 2014
  4. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

Please tell us what driver this is that has a working "Clamp?" Is it comparable performance otherwise? --Just read the forum. Robert, please report back here when Guzz explains how/where this modified driver came from. Still isn't a solution because we would need a new one every time nVIDIA updates their driver.

Also where does one put the .dll file Guzz supplied for rF1? And does it work for rF2? Using that dll would be much smarter than an alternate driver.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 31, 2014
  5. Mibrandt

Mibrandt Registered

Its on page 3 in this thread on geforce forum. One of the forum members made it: https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/529407/geforce-drivers/clamp-negative-lod-bias/

It seems its just the normal current driver but with the fixed clamp-negative-lod-bias. Here is direct link but use at own risk: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u...in8-win7-winvista-64bit-international-lod.exe

6. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

Thanks. Do you agree the DLL is a much smarter and safer option and it only affects rF1 and rF2, not everything else on your system.

7. Mibrandt

Mibrandt Registered

Havent tried the DLL - I dont play RF1 anymore.

8. Dnelpm

Dnelpm Registered

Robert posted a link to the gforce forum at first post, at the thirth page a guy called guzz published a link to the modified driver. I checked the file for viruses and it is clean, I just had the normal windows messages that you get when an unknown program is installed but all was fine.
    Performance is the same than the official driver.

9. Dnelpm

Dnelpm Registered

I am very slow writting:)

10. Robert Gödicke

I tried the d3d9.dll which clamps negative LODs as well (you just need to drop it into the same folder where your game's *.exe is), and yes, I can confirm it is working. The shots in the first post of this thread were actually made without and with that dll.

Using it in rFactor 1 and 2 works, but if you do so you can't use the XD Tool for rFactor 1 anymore for example because it also comes in the form of a d3d9.dll.

But like I said, if a user like Guzz can fix the filtering in the driver, Nvidia can do it too. I had a conversation with someone at Nvidia's forums who told me that some customers did demand the return of the clamp setting some time ago, but they were simply too few so Nvidia decided to not put any effort into fixing it.

In other words, if there are quite a lot more people wishing the return of this feature, there's a good chance Nvidia might change their view on this topic. We just have to try. Keep posting there guys, and tell all your fellow simmers who haven't done so already to do the same. It's an easy fix, Nvidia just needs to see that we need it, and that we are not just a handful of people and would appreciate that fix. :)

11. F1Fan07

F1Fan07 Member

Yeah, I use GID which supports a 2nd d3d9.dll but when I tried it with this one rF1 wouldn't launch. For now, I'd rather have jaggies and keep using GID.

12. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

Well, in the short run, I'll be using the DLL for both rF1 and rF2 rather than a driver that will quickly become outdated and may negatively affect other titles.

13. alpha-bravo

alpha-bravo Registered

post in nvidia forum is done. The should really give back this feature .

14. DocJones

DocJones Registered

If I remember correctly it was possible to use more than one d3d9.dll at the same time by just renaming one of them to d3d9_2.dll. I rememer I used XD tool and Wombat's Nvidia fix (also came as d3d9.dll) at some point. Should still have that setup, let me check the naming tomorrow , I'm only on the mobile right now. Or just give it a try...

15. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

Very nice tip this one. I tried yesterday in my laptop using a gt555m and it works nice. Very similar to alt+m but I can make the difference between both. In decals for the grid especially

enviado mediante tapatalk

16. Robert Gödicke

Guzz (the forum user who modified the official driver) reported back in:

https://forums.geforce.com/default/...clamp-negative-lod-bias/post/4174240/#4174240

As expected, it's a very, very, very easy fix actually. Nvidia's driver simply doesn't read the setting (next to another one) for negative LOD bias if you have a Fermi based GPU (GTX4xx) or newer. So this confirms what I experienced. The last GPUs which actually do read this setting are the GT200 GPUs (GTX2xx).

It's a very easy fix afterall. I know I repeat myself over and over again, but please keep posting in their forums guys, otherwise nothing will happen. The more feedback they get, the more likely they will put back in those 2 lines of code.

17. F1Fan07

F1Fan07 Member

When I try the renaming thing with GID in rF1 I get a error with something like "HotShot over Winsock" in the Title Bar and the dialog indicates a missing D3D function. If anyone has this combo working please post up.

18. Frank Mikolajczyk

Frank Mikolajczyk Registered

d3d9.dll combo works perfect !!!!!!!
    also in Rf1 Rf2 and GSC 2013 extreme, now i have full Details in Rf2 on Triplescreen 5670x1080 with steady 60FPS, no stutter , jeahhhhhhhhhhhhh !!!!
    i edit this in Rf2 Core directory :

Trackmap.ini :

[GENERAL]
    #OriginalD3D9Dll=DEFAULT
    OriginalD3D9Dll=d3d9_clamp.dll

then rename the clamb d3d9.dll to d3d9_clamp.dll
    and copied to the same core directory where the Trackmap/GID d3d9.dll already was.

same in Rf1 and GSC besides not the trackmap.ini, its called gidplugin.ini

Have fun like me,danke Dir Roberttttttttttttttttt ;-)))

19. Robert Gödicke

Don't forget to post in Nvidia's forum Frank, if they fix their driver, we won't need to use that dll in any of those sims. ;)
    Take that dll more as a "proof of concept". The easiest fix would still be a working driver setting. :)

20. dsuspense

dsuspense Registered

d3d9.dll worked for me, thanks!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.