IS NVIDIA Image Quality A Joke, Or Is It Just Me

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Spinelli, Mar 8, 2014.

1. TechAde

TechAde Registered

Alt-M should always work in rF2 I believe. Do you not get a message saying enabled or disabled when you press it?

Maybe mapping something else to M breaks it?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

2. TechAde

TechAde Registered

I think if you force -0.5 in inspector you're actually forcing already negative materials even further negative!

3. DrR1pper

DrR1pper Registered

i used this: http://naturalviolence.webs.com/sgssaa.htm for my sgssaa setup which advises on what lod bias to use with what SGSSAA option employed.

But when i was testing your "clamp" suggestion, i had the lod bias set to the default of 0.0.

and what did you do exactly Rob? I have a gtx 770 too.

4. TechAde

TechAde Registered

Those recommendations look good, however I bet they assume the app being used isn't using materials which are already set negative.

As mentioned earlier the 16xS and 32xS modes apply their own lod bias tweaks, but they also work best when the app isn't already using negative bias.

5. DrR1pper

DrR1pper Registered

I checked the plr file and it has mip lod bias = 0.0

6. TechAde

TechAde Registered

I don't think that PLR setting does anything at all, I'm talking about the negative bias that track creators set on materials in Max or SimEd or whatever.

7. Robert Gödicke

Robert Gödicke Registered

Currently I am not using any overrides in the driver. Everything is set to apllication controlled.
    For rFactor 2 I'm using Level 4 AA (using rF2's Config) and 16xAF in the ingame options. Pressing Alt+M made the whole picture smoother, as you can see on my screenshots.

On those negative LOD bias: Like TechAde said, negative values are sharpening the MipMaps even further, the result would be even more Aliasing and Moiré patterns!
    On a sidenote though, forcing an LOD bias in the graphics driver didn't work at all for me. I could set +3 and all textures in rF2 are still waaaaaay too sharp (in fact they didn't change at all for me, from -3 to +3 no visible change), so I suspect that rF2 simply doesn't accept those settings you are forcing in the driver. Dunno.

8. TechAde

TechAde Registered

I've been able to override both ways with nV inspector, not tried it for a number of builds though.

9. YoLolo69

YoLolo69 Registered

I made some test recently with NVidia Inspector and my "old "GTX670 and ended with the same conclusion : Multisamplingx2 and Supergridx2 are the best and the less killing FPS for me, and the multiplicator should be the same for both (2, 4, etc.). 4 and 4 is too heavy, so I stick with 2 and 2. I can keep my fps between 60 and 90, and locked to 60fps (Adaptive Vsync ON). I'm not sure to catch the negative lod stuff with settings or CTRL-M, need to play with that too...

If you want a good place, quick to reach, to test jaggy lines, just launch a practice with an open wheeler like F3 Eve at Lime Rock Park. As soon as the screen appear you have 2 white line in diagonal top left of your cockpit (at the ground) to play with when you change settings. Hit CTRL-F (or run fraps) and you have immediately a visual report of your last settings.

Edit: that's pretty sad any settings ingame can't reach qualtity of NV Inspector. Even Level 8 for me and those line are really jaggy (and fps is low). In any case, I can't set nothing under level 4 as the settings reset themself to Level 4. So ingame I have nothing, and NV Inspector do it all.

10. peterchen

peterchen Registered

Question to Techade:
    Is there a chance to turn off MipLODBias fix? Any .PLR setting?

Thanks in advance
    Pete

11. TechAde

TechAde Registered

I'm not sure I understand the question, sorry.

12. peterchen

peterchen Registered

When you press ALT+M then something in "settings" change. At least for the moment.
    Is it possible to force that so that I havn´t had to press ALT+M every time I go on track?

Thanks and sorry for bad question!

Pete

13. Robert Gödicke

Robert Gödicke Registered

I was looking for a permanent setting as well Pete, but I'm afraid we will have to press Alt+M every time we load a track.

14. TechAde

TechAde Registered

I understand now, thanks.

Unfortunately there isn't a permanent toggle, I have put a request in for the feature to be added though I don't know if the devs consider it important enough to add.

Maybe if more people request it we have more of a chance. :)

15. Paul Herron

Paul Herron Registered

rF1 allows you to use the LOD clamp option within Nvidia Inspector, that backed up with the sparse grid sampling give amazing visuals in rF1. I'm not at my main PC at the moment but I'll upload my Nvidia Inspector settings for rF1 when I get in. They make rF1 look superb and my EVGA GTX 670 FTW handles it fine even with a 22 car grid - vsync'd @ 60FPS.

rF2 used to let you use the same LOD clamp but for some reason this latest build seems to have stopped that - will certainly try this hidden command later tonight :)

16. peterchen

peterchen Registered

OK! Thanks alot!

So:
    Begging ISI!
    Please please please, make an option in .plr to permanent toggle ALT+M!

Thanks a lot!
    Pete

17. ForthRight

ForthRight Registered

I posted this whole thread about the dodgy aliasing on white lines, but the Alt-M thing was never suggested - and I didn't know about it either till now,

http://isiforums.net/f/showthread.php/18479-Question-for-Luc-or-Tuttle

I've tested the Alt-M toggle and while it does help (when using normal multisampling AA) it obviously isn't going to result in the same overall image quality as SparseGrid SuperSampling, so I don't think I'll use it unless I run into framerate problems on newer content.

I didn't realise that AMD cards could get rid of these jaggies with just their normal SuperSampling though, so I've learnt something new. Could this be why AMD cards seem to have lower framerates in rFactor 2 compared to Nvidia - maybe they are applying better overall AA?

18. TechAde

TechAde Registered

AMD show lower frame rates even with no AA.

Maybe a more sensible thread title would have helped? I don't have time to read every thread and that title didn't give me any idea that it might be something I could have helped with.

19. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

I have 4.5GHz Intel and GTX670 OC no problems running smooth 4x 4x

Never see below 60fps

20. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

Well you would think years of forums people would at least know what Nvidia Inspector is !

I don't use AMD but I know it's tools ! :)