Now we can compare FFB in rF2 and AC

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Marc Collins, Jan 18, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

AC update to 0.5.2 fixes for good the generally awful FFB of earlier releases. You can turn all canned effects sliders to zero and get FFB that feels a heck of a lot like rF2!

Difference is the AC cars have glue-like grip on the road (though decreased thank goodness from earlier total arcade/console level) that is unrealistic, while rF2 is much closer to reality (except systemically a bit too little grip at the rear, at least by my seat of the pants estimation).

Anyway, AC can at least be properly compared now. Physics seem excellent--if you remember that the cars are all tuned to semi-arcade grip levels. New AI is a good start. We'll see how fast and far they can improve it. I hope the next rF2 release has a big step-up in AI.

2. Jamie Shorting

Jamie Shorting Registered

I've read alot of simracing forums and I can tell you that from my experience FFB is purely subjective. AC can't hold rF2s jockstrap as far as FFB is concerned IMO.

BTW. Here is a good review of AC putting it in the same genre as Forza which I completely agree with. Sorry but AC fanboys are really starting to make me puke. If I was interested in AC I'd hang out on their forums.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-01-15-assetto-corsa-beta-review

3. ThoKa

ThoKa Guest

This is your personal subjective opinion and not a fact FFS.

4. rob1178

rob1178 Registered

AC may well be good, but for me i have invested so much time in RF1 and 2 that i dont even have the other 'competitors' installed anymore.

maybe i have become institutionalised, but rf2 provides plenty enough in terms of current experience and future potential

last thing i tried was PCARS, and for all the guys wanting optimisation on rf2, i say try PCARS, it will kill your system. i couldnt get it working anything like as well as rf2. 50-75% less performance at much lower detail levels. not tried AC as a comparison, but you know, i just cant be ar*ed with the others

stuck in my ways i guess

5. YoLolo69

YoLolo69 Registered

Do we have a similar car (including type of tires) in both sims to use as FFB/Physics comparison feeling, or at least a car on each sim enough similar?

6. realkman666

realkman666 Registered

It's easy to discredit Assetto Corsa because of the easy driving, generous grip and built-in aids or whatever keeps you on the track at all times, but rFactor 2 is still flirting with iRacing levels of ice, and that's just as bad. I'm disappointed by both offerings, but I'll be willing to get AC for the Nordschleife and 458 combo. I haven't tried the latest build, but whatever happens, AC will be a worthwhile addition to any racer in the feature. I just don't care for most of the content so far. A bunch of disjointed stuff like all the games out there, except for GSC and DTM.

Why wouldn't he know this?

rob1178, AC runs a lot better than rF2 and looks better and cleaner.

YoLo, there's the Z4 racing from URD, I guess.

7. thuGG

thuGG Registered

Yeah guys, everyone knows that no grip is good grip, and ice racing is realistic.

8. speed1

speed1 Banned

No we can't is my opinion and how i perceive the things while both are good, rf2's FFB is on another level about rough forces and it still is the more dynamic and powerfull one, at least with the T500RS. Of course i think both could be somewhat better with some cars here and there but where we are already at for projects in developement is already promising. Not talking about grip levels or car specific behaviour which depends with the model but the overall feeling of both.

9. realkman666

realkman666 Registered

Besides, it's been discussed that Kunos doesn't want to include non-FFB effects in the FFB, relying solely on what a real car would relay throught the steering wheel. Might be why they bump up the grip to compensate for what you don't get in your office chair, I don't know.

10. DrR1pper

DrR1pper Registered

Not everyone shares yours experience of this grip level in rf2.

It feels plenty grippy to me, though this is just my subjective opinion....like everyone else here.

I've never driven a real car to it's limits with the required experience to tell which sim delivers the closest realism of grip levels. Do we know anyone who has and can then weigh in with their opinion?

11. GTClub_wajdi

GTClub_wajdi Registered

I like both and I have no problem to jump from AC to rf2 and vice versa ! both feels natural to me... today I have done an offline race with AC then jumped to rf2 and did an online race session and both feels great! AC looks better, but the sound is better in rf2! rf2 has real road.....AC has a better menu! love both and stop with this non sense and useless war!

12. realkman666

realkman666 Registered

Says the guy from Israel!

Have you noticed a big difference in the FFB feel with the new update?

13. GTClub_wajdi

GTClub_wajdi Registered

î
    Yes, the FFB feels smoother and less ffb clipping when turning the wheel that makes it easer to catch the car's rear! also in the last build there is less under-steering !

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 18, 2014
  14. Andreas67

Andreas67 Registered

I am of the opinion that it varies, for example Megane / di Mores the grip feels good. For other vehicles, esfühlt view of tires have no lateral support.
    The Skippy feels best for me :)

15. wgeuze

wgeuze Registered

There are several hanging around in here but when they actually do weigh in they are often ridiculed or completely ignored whenever their opinions don't suit what people want to hear, at least that is the idea I got in past topics concerning this...

16. speed1

speed1 Banned

Wasn't the OT poster comparing FFB, or why it turns again to a grip level discussion ? Nobody is able to judge grip levels from the outside just by perception, even me as a Instructor and master of motor vehicle technicians can't judge it while i driven lots of different cars over the last 20 years, from crap up to high performance cars, the more i can't about race cars. Of course the understanding of how thing's work or how they should behave in general is possible but not more. The good thing about AC is, i know many cars in real they have modeled but with rf2, there is not a single one which i think goes for the most of us.

17. realkman666

realkman666 Registered

Sounds good. I'm not crazy about the type of content so far, but I'll have to get it eventually.

18. Valter Cardoso

Valter Cardoso Registered

Again i lost myself and end here in hype zone......

19. Saabjock

Saabjock Registered

FFB across curbs feels great in RF2 as does weight shift feel.
    What's lacking a bit in this latest build is straight line road feel. There also seems to be a complete loss of feedback during slides.
    During four wheel drifts with my real car, I still have some information coming through the spindles and struts to the tie rods, steering rack and column. It just doesn't disappear completely. Those items still have weight. The guys need to fix that aspect.
    AC feels okay in the latest build but the amplitude is still just a tad too low.
    That coupled with a very low sense of speed (in cockpit) can make for a bit of tricky handling during high speed runs.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 19, 2014
  20. speed1

speed1 Banned

Yes lateral slides/forces aren't transmitted well as i said it with the first go of AC as well but they know better :rolleyes:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.