Released rFactor 2 Build 382 Released

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by 88mphTim, Dec 19, 2013.

1. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

I wish non-devs would stop commenting on stuff they know absolutely nothing about. I get the same crap with my job too... everyone wants an ETA for everything and everyone likes to say, "You have XYZ over here so putting ABC here should be easy right". Development isn't an easy process. It is nearly impossible to put a timeline on. Also, what seems easy to do to someone who knows nothing about development, is often extremely difficult.

Lets also not forget that the devs could be very busy working on massive overhauls to certain aspects of the sim that haven't been rolled into the main codebase yet.

2. MarcG

MarcG Registered

Not a massive update, wonder whether ISI just released it pre-Xmas to keep some people happy but as it seems people are not happy at it's release...can't please everyone all the time!!

I'm gonna have a play with the AI soon as that's my area of delight, was hoping Real Road would become unaccelerated....by the time the next update comes out it'll be two years, that's too long for me. As much as I love the tech it's become very annoying to have a wet track dry in 2 laps and full rubber after 15...makes endurance racing kinda fruitless.

3. Tosch

Tosch Registered

You created an account to post this?

4. sifri

sifri Registered

I seem normal to have to renew the license with all faults have the game yet, so can not make a championship conditions with so many problems, does not seem right

5. MarcG

MarcG Registered

1) yep agree
    2) this has perplexed me since the Beta screen (before the first build), maybe they were not happy with it and hope to revisit it one day, who knows!
    3) yep agree
    4) Kind of agree, sure AMD peformance is still below par compared with an equal nVidia card but for me at least it's not awful, it's not great either but "good enough". Would sure like to see some further improvement for us though.
    5) dont care, there's no Oval/NASCAR style rules so I dont use a Spotter, but can appreciate others may want it sorted.

6. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

I understand that, however, there are priorities and there are ways of looking at each, I'll say the way I look at them below. You're welcome to look with worried eyes if you want to, I'm not stopping anyone and am merely replying.

- yes, agreed. Although they want to tie in the rate to the tires, which is pretty complex. Which is worse? Accelerated unconnected rate, or a fake rate thrown in to change the wording in the known issues file?
    - rain fx is a fairly recent thing tackled, and this update included particle spray changes. They're actively working on part of the rain fx. No point having wipers wipe without raindrops, no point having raindrops without rain and related fx. But, I have seen a dev release a sim before and the #1 complaint was non working wipers, so I can appreciate how big of an issue this can be for the community. The gfx engine as a whole wasn't in a position to do the fx being done now, until we got it there.
    - what in specific? AFAIK shaders still not where joe wants them, but I need your info on what specific to answer.
    - yup. And it will be slow and hard for AMD to get anywhere near nVidia. You could easily see 2+ months with no change at all when that one just gets looked at more. I'm betting that will bring a lot of worried posts about everything not being done while it is. :)
    - what simulated series uses a spotter? We've always worked by adding things modders might need, what we see progressing in WIP forums, etc, but also had to work in a way that we can test them ourselves as well to try to give the modders something that actually will do the job. How a spotter can be higher priority than things like rain fx I don't really understand. It isn't to us, which is why it's not been looked at and rain fx (which particles are a part of) are progressing.

Perhaps you didn't understand my post, but the things the community have screamed about are pretty much what are being done, and when they are, it's not fast enough or "wow" enough. I can understand someone not being happy at the speed, but there's nothing anyone, including us, can do about that. We could bloat our release notes, we could bring content and core updates together and make ourselves look better. We could even hold updates or content, keep you behind us by about 6 months so that we look awesome getting 3 months worth of work done in 2, making you 5 months behind after that update. it sure would drive sales to get those updates flowing faster, right? I know how hard the guys work, and how talented they are, and that's really the only reason I would respond to this type of post with this type of post. What you get from us is pretty much a live representation of where we are at internally with the software. Sure, there are features we disable that are even more unprepared for release than what you have and aren't happy with (I wouldn't be), and there's half of you what would want those things too, while the other half wouldn't. Whether we release anything WIP or not, it still takes time. ISI and I gain nothing from some of the replies I give, but I hope you do gain some understanding, even if you don't like it.

7. RGrueira

RGrueira Registered

on my community we did all shape of championships since summer 2012 with rfactor2...

8. Hagen Tröger

Hagen Tröger Registered

no Human in AC, no AI in AC, no Ghost in AC, nice that you can talk and greet to yourself :)

9. sg333

sg333 Registered

Appreciate the reply, Tim :) It does answer why we arent seeing some of those changes/fixes yet, but maybe adding some those details to the release notes addressing these issues might help?

The spotter im referring to isnt the 'oval' spotter but the audio lap times and such; there has always been some saying they can hear it and many saying they never have. Not sure what thats about.

AMD - well, simple solution is go to Nvidia, which I plan to. Simply accepting it's the better option for RF2. :)

10. 88mphTim

I can see how it would help some feel better. It doesn't make a difference to us. I'm 100% sure there are things missing from the 382 release notes I posted, but I didn't bother the devs about it. They just get on with their next item. The benefit of me hassling them would be that people can see how much work is done, it would bloat the notes nicely (even though it's real work, it doesn't 'say' anything). The downside of hassling them, is hassling them.

I'd hope that people using the product, can use the product without letting how many lines the release notes have rule how they feel about using it.

11. Major_Parts

Major_Parts Registered

I'm only interested in what things look like but understand that a sims priorities are what it handles like.

Specular t1 textured objects are now much worse for turning white!
    May be me, but I don't see any cube reflections when at a track without livemapping...still no showroom floor car reflections either.
    HUD text is also missing here.

12. MarcG

MarcG Registered

Thanks for the reply Tim, shame about AMD but I'm not switching, every other game and sim I play is perfectly fine and on par with an equivalent nVidia card just this sim that knocks it down somewhat. But as I said it's not bad for me, not great but good enough!

there is Ghost in AC and has been since the start

13. 88mphTim

How did you update? Could you try doing a manual update (see first post for how).

14. Major_Parts

Major_Parts Registered

I did an auto update...will try the manual method

15. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

I think the people that ARE working have both the Core and DataPath in the same location. I think there is a thread around here somewhere about how to fix it. I think it is an installer problem where it puts a file in the wrong path or something like that. I will do some digging and see what I can find.

Edit: Found the thread. Looks like the commentary needs to be placed in the Core for the spotter to work. Try copying the commentary folder from %UserProfile%\Documents\rFactor2\Installed TO C:\Program Files (x86)\rFactor2\Core

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 20, 2013
  16. danielai

danielai Registered

no text in hud controls

It happens the same for me, have you fixed it?

17. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

I have reflections in the showroom. You are probably on the static showroom. On the main screen click the customize button and then click the showroom tab and select anyone other than the first one.

18. 88mphTim

I don't blame you. Personal opinion (not ISI) I think it'll get there, or close enough, just will take longer as it's more work to figure things out yourself than have the manufacturer help you.

19. Major_Parts

Major_Parts Registered

I tried all the showrooms! The garage showroom reflects garage objects, but not the car!

20. Paddler

Paddler Registered

Yes. For me its semms that there is definately much more grip!! And the car beahves kind of different. Much better. Great update for me. Wow! What a sim! The best i have ever "driven". Big smile :D