342 A.I. are horrible.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by samuelw, Nov 3, 2013.

1. samuelw

samuelw Registered

IMHO the A.I. in build 342 have deteriorated to the extent its impossible to race them. My road rage is so inflamed I want to fist fight the A.I. When you're behind them they slow down thus slowing you down so the A.I. behind you gets a good run on you. They don't try to win but cooperate with each other to move the player to the back of the pack. When beside them on the straight they move over on you. When they wreck you they (adding insult to injury) go on their merry way no worse for the encounter.

I did find a way to beat them at spa. After being taken out I stopped for repairs and rejoined a minute behind. Without me to torture the AI either dropped out or slowed to 50 mph allowing me to go from a minute behind the field to a minute ahead of second within a few laps. Pitiful

The graphics are OK for me, the physics are great. my FPS are always above 60 with max settings, and I was OK with the A.I. until this build. My only interest is the historical cars. I do herebt request A.I consistent with historical racecraft. Its my understanding taht grand prix drivers in the 60's and 70's gid not engage in the driver behaviors displayed by Prost, Senna, and Schumacher. Paraphrasing Chris Amon the grand prix racers of yesteryear didn't engage in tactics like blocking because hitting a tree or house was a likely result. Consequently AI that don't constantly brake check or swerve back and firth across the track would best simulate the early grand prix years.

SW

PS Hate to complain about this sim so pleade consider this post a request.

2. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

I never bother with AI

Remember , if good AI existing (in any title) we'd need a super computors to run them & handle all of the calculations etc

Find a few pals & host etc

3. Guimengo

Guimengo Guest

Nothing says the AI can't run a simplified calculation system that works off lookup tables for a variety of situations and conditions. The AI is also about behavior. It's 2013, almost 2014, and the last racing game with very good AI came out 10 years ago (GSC is good but very limited). There's no excuse.

4. samuelw

samuelw Registered

It has to be by design. When I get a run out of a corner and get along side an A.I. car the A.I. have a little turbo button getting them back in front of me where they immediately brake check meand allowing the car behind both of us to get ahead of both of us. They brake check me, they swerve into me, they pull out in front of me, they wreck in front of me, and then they have magic acceleration to pull ahead unscathed. I read posts where people complain rF2 is harder than reality ( I disagree) but A.I. driving standard is certainly worse than reality.

SW

5. osella

osella Registered

AI in rfactor can be pretty good and realistic, IF you spend hundreds of hours by finetuning .plr values AND have exact correct AI settings hidden in various mod files AND find the perfect AI strength/agressiveness ratio for said mod AND the track has very good racing path. A single condition is not met -> it WILL suck.

Currently this is not easily done in rf2 and for the most part I have to say rf2 AI sucks. In rf1 its actually better but only if the above criteria are all met...

In theory code for AI should be much more complex in rf2 so their potential is to be better than they ever could be in rf1 but that's not the case now.

6. kimikaze

kimikaze Registered

Well i drove right now pcars, purely because i want to see new Mclaren. Well that's what i called horrible. rF2 AI is heaven compared to pcars AI. It varies from build to build of course, is not perfect, will newer be with current hardware and it has possibility to be one of the best with tweaks, which others are far away from that. The fact that AI cars don't wreck you doesn't mean the AI is good. It can mean is less advanced, more ON-OFF. I rather see AI try to overtake me even at slightest possibility(which real drivers actually do) and crash me sometimes, rather than overtake me only when i am off road or get really outside the ideal line.

7. flitzi

flitzi Registered

Well, compared to some other games rF2 b342 AI is still quite good, but I have to agree, I liked b300 AI much better. Hopefully this boosts multiplayer participation ;)
    No srsly, in changelog it was mentioned that the new AI system is a first implementation and not finished yet. Wasn't there an ini option that would change AI system back to the old one?

8. Galaga

Galaga Banned

I race against AI only occasionally but I have to say I have no complaints. At least most of the ISI tracks will have correct AIW. Many third party tracks don't have AIW setup correctly. Also be sure to set auto line smooth to 3 and AI limiter to zero in plr.

9. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

I agree with the first post. IMO AI are only orogrammed to keep the car in the pace. AI will never make a jump in a slope change whether it is the fastest way of doing it ir not. The correction only happens when losing control or better said when losing the fast path. AI always tries to maintain 4 wheels on ground without any sliding. No LEARNING TO TRY TO GO FASTER IS PERCEIVED. I would think a more human learning method should be applied for defining AI behaviour. in a first approach i would try to automatize AIW creation for each type of car. Furthermore, the AI behaviour parameters should be calibrated as well in the same "track learning procedure" This could be done in devmode but I dont see how to solve the tuning for each type of car.

BTW where does the autocalibrate on data go when track is learned succesfully? Yesterday I made some trials to redefine AIW with AI in devmode with no improvement after doing the track learning. I would like to know what does autocalibrate and how does ut affect AIW or AI behaviour, whatever it does.

Enviado desde mi GT-I9505 usando Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 3, 2013
  10. rhamm

rhamm Registered

I'm thinking a server farm would work better. Give each A.I. car their own server with a program that is simply there to give the A.I. more lifelike driving.

As for the OP the only change they made to the AI in build 342 is the AI cars no longer think the shadow coming off other cars is something they can run into. You may need to turn down the aggression slider if you haven't already. I'd also recommend going into your plr file and setting AI Autocalibrate to 2.

I have yet to play a game that had what I consider "good" AI.

11. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

I will later record an AIW of myself driving through the fast chicane before the FL in salem valley. I take it at about 200 kph with a GT3 from BES mod while AI takes it at 130 kph. IMO the reason is not related to the path but to the AI system preventing the small loss of control that is required to go through that chicane. In the two videos I uploaded of salem valley you can notice what I am talking about.

AI: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZbUdt1F3cPs&feature=youtube_gdata_player
    Myself: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b-1qTKI3GlQ&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Enviado desde mi GT-I9505 usando Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 3, 2013
  12. osella

osella Registered

Certainly, pcars ai really sucks.

13. vhoggard

vhoggard Registered

I totally disagree with you Adrianstealth.

I have had good AI experience with GTR2 when set up correctly and I just love Codemasters (am I allowed to say that word around here?) Formula 1 2012 and their 2013 upgrade. The AI behave perfectly in both games for me so please don't talk like AI racing is hopeless and that you need a super computer to run them.

I race offline due to having had cancer in 2012 which left me near crippled with neuropathy and other issues. I cannot follow a schedule of any kind (barely make it to my doctor appts) as I never know when I will feel good enough to race.

If it wasn't for AI racing offline, I would be out of the racing altogether. I especially love to race 3 hour races where I can let my AI driver take over when I get tired. I handle the start of the race and the pit stops and race what I can and let the AI do the rest. This way, I can finish a decent sized race without myself being totally obliterated. But even in Build 342, the AI still knock you off the track and run out of fuel and act like total idiots; just like Samuelw describes in his post above. I raced two 90 min races and a 2.4 hour race at the new beautiful Le Mans 1991-1996 track (most beautiful work I have ever seen) recently in rF2 where me and my AI partner took first place because the AI all ran out of fuel, broke down, or crashed.

I am very unhappy with rf2 in regards to offline racing. I love the Corvette mod and some others; they handle like a car should (and the Corvette looks awesome too); but those are the only things that I can say about rf2.

I will add this directed at ISI: If I would have known that you were not going to focus much on offline; with no offline season racing as you had with rf1, I would not have paid the nearly 90 bucks for a game that isn't ever going to be finished in the first place. I read a post by Tim recently where he stated that rf2 will always be "in development" even after the Gold comes out.

It appears to me that offline racing development for rFactor 2 has been scratched off the list of to-dos at least for the near future and so if you expect to see an offline season put together for rf2 where you can set up your own cars and tracks and race out to a championship conclusion you are in for a very long wait. You may not live long enough to see the thing happen. I was also taken aback when I noticed that I couldn't even get into any of the files to make any changes myself like we used to do with rF1. ISI has bottled up most of the files so you can't even mess the game up so it won't work - much less tweak anything.

Another thing we will probably never see and that is savable races. In GTR2 you could save a race for later - what an awesome concept!!

An unhappy driver...and tire now.
    Val

14. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

Hiya Vhoggard

Gosh I never really thought of AI like that, must be soooo complex to programme good AI for a title,
    I've not spent enough time with AI to have good experience, will give it a try if I read good things about them though
    ( in rf2 )

Could you manage joining & taking part in one of the official servers ?

15. Andregee

Andregee Registered

GTR2 has a huge aI Bug. Driving a 3 hour session, the Ai is slowing down after 1 hour so you can simply overtake an GT1 with a GT3 on the straight.

Rf2 is a mulitplayer game particularly using mods because the ai does´t change the setups, so that they run into the limiter on long straights and so on and it is so boring to overtake them in such a situation

16. vhoggard

vhoggard Registered

Ive run lots of 3 hours races and managed to get into the top 10 in my class a few times. I didn't see any slowing down of the AI. I don't really like GTR2 because of its ffb and the way the cars handle. It just doesn't feel right. In Codemasters, I have installed a package that gives the ffb a good feel and set my wheel rotation to match. It is my favorite to drive although I like the CM dirt series and racing endurance races.

As to the AI problems you mention, they could be fixed if someone was willing to do it.

Thanks for your input. :)

17. vhoggard

vhoggard Registered

I am not sure what you mean by join and take part. If it involves keeping a schedule, I could never make it work. I just don't know when I will be feeling well enough to anything. Pain and fatigue are my life these days.

Thanks for the offer though.
    Val

18. Hazi

Hazi Registered

AFAIK in RF2 it was (is) possible to "jump" into a replay and continue the race at any point - not tried in latest versions.....

19. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

Formula Truck is the best fun you can have offline for mine, very good AI I think.

20. JorgeANeto

JorgeANeto Registered

This is SO wrong.

GTR2, Race ON, Microprose GP3 and GP4 has very acceptable A.I. runners which you can have lots of fun racing against to. GP4 used to run in a Pentium II, so there's no heavy processing required.