The Secrets of Drifting...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Racefreak1976, Oct 27, 2013.

1. RONIN

RONIN Registered

2. speed1

speed1 Banned

Is there any car in rf2 which could be used to drift ? Actually i don't know and remember every car well but i mean there is no one and even powerslides are not working well with this cars. It is one off the wow effects when rf2 cars do surprise the driver with something new in physics while the drive accel by itself and turns the car around ( not right ), and if it doesn't it will bite you by snap oversteer ( could be right for this cars ). Powermodulating and keeping some stable slip angle should be possible even with slicks, it is just harder and more risky when regain grip.

Actually the Megane is showing some more natural slip angle behaviour on Loch Drummond but it is still not optimal and overall to snappy.

I hope the new drivetrain will stabilise traction diff's and eliminate the autopilot in the current differential physic.

3. Gearjammer

Gearjammer Registered

Heheh, millions of people in one of the largest cities in the U.S. and you ask if he has met one person :)

4. speed1

speed1 Banned

When i read LA there comes one special person in my Mind R.I.P 2pac. The best of hiphop comes from cali even i loved to listen to the other King of the eastcoast R.I.P Notorious BIG in the past. Hiphop is dead with 2pac. Now listen to snoop lion the incarnetad son praying no more guns allowed. Finally those idiots have learned, no violence and crime is the way to go. The lost of many great brothers and artist teached at least one of the big westcoast stars.

Anybody meet 2pac ?

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 1, 2013
  5. Racefreak1976

Racefreak1976 Registered

I know chances are very slim. But who knows. If I had to choose where I want to live it would be L.A. for sure. ;)

Snoop Dog has now turned into a lion, eh? Evolution can be strange sometimes. ROFL That just made me think of my avatar. Dog here, Lion on YouTube. Hehe. What a coincidence.

6. o0thx11380o

o0thx11380o Registered

Funny enough I almost did! A few years ago I was just getting started in my career and I got a call from a company that was about to make the animated Clone Wars cartoon. The job would have been working at skywalker ranch. Being a huge star wars fan my whole life this was all very exciting. I sent them my demo-reel but unfortunately they didn't hire me lol. I was just too green as they say. It turned out to not be all that bad as bigger and better things ended up happening. Anyways that's my story of almost meeting george lucas haha.

7. Racefreak1976

Racefreak1976 Registered

Hell, what could possibly be bigger and better than meeting George Lucas!!! Anyway, glad things turned out well for you. ;)
    Maybe we should go back to the original topic before Tim locks this thread down.

8. Digi Lauda

Digi Lauda Registered

You proved that you can drift very well..... drift away from topic, hehe:cool:;)

9. Galaga

Galaga Banned

... And for a long time...

10. Miro

Miro Registered

11. Digi Lauda

Digi Lauda Registered

Took a while until i realized that the player edited himself into the video :) you can even see his monitor in the windscreen. Until that i thougt the steering look so awesome real, ISI has to learn a lot ..... :rolleyes: lol

12. o0thx11380o

o0thx11380o Registered

13. boblevieux

boblevieux Registered

14. Racefreak1976

Racefreak1976 Registered

Agreed! Very cool idea.

15. Timpie Claessens

Timpie Claessens Registered

An E30 is more of a toy then it is a way of transportation. You don't even have to try to drift and it's tail is wagging all over the place.
    Love my 325i for that :D And cus it has a pretty long steering rack (1 turn more on each side then modern racks) you can be very precise with your steering wheel angle. It's a bit annoying on trackdays in like quick direction changes, but for drifting it's epic <3

Ow and if you have GSC13, the Opala is awesome to get a hang of it before you go to the big Camaro :p
    Or LFS and the XR Turbo thing

16. Miro

Miro Registered

Ohhh, E30 memories. Was my first car. Bought it and restored, just had enough money for the engine but not for proper tires and other stuff so I just cut the front springs and mocked it up a bit visually lol. Still my fav car. Sadly it landed on the roof after two months. Lost the tail .......
    Used to put everything possible that was heavy in the trunk just to get some grip in winter :D. Crazy times.

17. Timpie Claessens

Sounds familiar... Even the accident, everyone has to has 1 right? :D My first car was a '08 Corsa but after driving in a mates E30 just once it was on sale very quickly and replaced with a car 20y older :D
    The one I have now I just my trackday/driftcar for when it's sunny, already lost 1 to heavy rust and I've put too much money in this one to watch it rust away aswell! (like a brand new engine for instance )

About that stuff in the trunk, I don't know if yours still had an original manual but it literally says to do that in the official BMW manual :')

And to go ontopic real quick: I honestly learned to drift by doing it alot in LFS. When I stepped into a buddy of mines 318 compact (having never driven an RWD car before) and it instantly clicked. It was a bit scary how similar it was at that time :D Afterwards just practice alot in the snow. It's amazing how much you can find out about how a car works in snow, everything is amplified so it's all very easy to understand and catch whats happening. You learn alot about weight transfer and all that.
    It's imo very hard to try and explain it while most of it is purely feeling and balancing your steering angle with your throttle input. When it's wet (or snowy) you can even get away with constantly pumping the throttle on & off instead of keeping it steady but trying that on a dry surface (especially with low hp) almost always means an instant snap back in the other direction.

I think the essence of it all is to practice it so much so you don't have to think about what you're doing but it rather just comes naturally. For instance when to give more steering angle or when to give it more throttle depening on what you want the car to do (take a shallower line, make the line wider, try to save a car thats out of control, ... )

I think the biggest tip is, when you think you are losing control of your car, do NOT stand on the brake pedal cus it will just make everything worse :)

18. Miro

Miro Registered

bold

19. Timpie Claessens

True, snow is indeed amazing. I used to leave an hour early for work to plow around a supermarket parking lot for an hour first
    Now that's dedication! :D

I'm already looking forward to winter again, my MB 190E can do it aswell so I stay happy ahah :D

20. Racefreak1976

Racefreak1976 Registered

I used to drive a 320i E30. Man, that thing was fun. Too bad my engine gave up on the way to the Munich Airport where I was supposed to get my wife and kids. That was the worst day in my life. And the best because I hadn't seen my kids for 3 weeks until that day. You know how it feels when you want to cry but you can't because your actually happy? Crazy.

Anyway, back to topic. Thanks for the advice, Timpie. I'm not sure if I will find my copy of LFS but if I do....there will be some spinning going on lol. :cool: