The Secrets of Drifting...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Racefreak1976, Oct 27, 2013.

1. Racefreak1976

Racefreak1976 Registered

So you guys are saying, I should let the wheel turn into the corner and then catch it when the car is facing the desired direction of travel? Now my situation is as follows.
    My wheel (G25) is not turning at all or just very slightly. I did try to fiddle with center spring settings in the Logitech driver software. It didn't help other than the steering got a little lighter.
    Is there anyone out there who is still using the G25 and can confirm this or is my wheel broken?

2. DrR1pper

DrR1pper Registered

You shouldn't be using any spring centering in the control panel, it is a completely unnatural source of force on the wheel. The so called "centering" force that you experience (with the artificial spring centering disabled) when you have turned the steering wheel when the car is in motion is caused by the car wanting to return to it's natural state of equilibrium (e.g. no hands) by making all four wheels drive straight ahead (assuming perfectly levelled road) in order to make the corner weights more evenly distributed again. This is where your centering force should come from and this alone! Unfortunately, some wheels have insufficiently strong ffb to make the wheel self-correct responsively (not necessarily self-centering the steering wheel if there is insufficent dampening in the steering wheel).

[​IMG]

A little off-topic but line D is the ideal but usually too slow a response for countersteering and oversteer situation. When i was using my g25 i remembered it would oscillate like line C when i was on a straight and flicked the steering a little and let go and it would continuously oscillate left to right. After upgrading to my CSR-E that issue is no longer and steering acts like line A where the initial force input is dampened out (i speculate because of the stronger ffb motors and perhaps faster response time of the motors to dampen out the unintended oscillations).

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 4, 2013
  3. Timpie Claessens

Timpie Claessens Registered

When you have oscilations on a G-wheel it's almsot always because of a FFB settings that's too high imo.
    I've only had Logi wheels and unless i completely messed up my settings it never really shakes.

But ye, in a real car, once you start oversteering you don't really have to do much to the wheel. It will begin to countersteer on its own, you just have to stop it in the correct position so the front wheels are pointing where u want to go :p
    In sims, as DrRipper says, there's usually the problem that the cheaper wheels can't react fast enough so you actually have to do most of the countersteering yourself which can get difficilt since you obviously have to be very quick with the wheel. And for instance I remember in the old rFactor with that realfeel thing (and even in GSC) that you occasionally get this very weird and unnatural resistance when you try to countersteer which makes it even more difficult to be quick and precise.

4. Racefreak1976

Racefreak1976 Registered

Thanks again guys. I really appreciate all the help from you. I'll try to turn of the center spring completely and see what happens. Right now it's set to 50% and everything else is set to 76%.

5. Racefreak1976

Racefreak1976 Registered

Just wanted to share my progress with you. Not much progress really. :)

6. DrR1pper

DrR1pper Registered

Haven't watched te video yet, currently in a lecture bit give the skippy a go at drifting, i remember it being pretty decent at it since its more stable with power down then off. Slip angle range is not as high but reasonable easy to initiate and maintain.

7. speed1

speed1 Banned

@Racefreak1976
    Well but you are trying to drift while this car don't allows wide slip angle to controle. Not speaking from a single corner action or a powerslide, which even doesn't works well. The car is to raw to play with, snaps and bites you while the trajectory diff on the rear isn't even really under controle without TC and reacts on load distribution as well to brutal with to less inertia imho. I guess this car should feel a bit more weighty and smooth instead to try to kill the driver. It's all a bit raw.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 5, 2013
  8. Skynet

Skynet Registered

Of course you cant drift the corvette as you want to because it doesn't have much steering lock. Look at the video of the supra i posted previously, it is drifting at massive angles and what enables that is the massive 60 degree steering lock it has. Don't do the same thing and expect a different result as you are wasting time trying to drift racing cars with 20 degree steering.

There is a modified version of the 370z with more lock somewhere on the forum you can drift that.

9. speed1

speed1 Banned

Yes but the steering shouldn't be an issue here, but the car is. I don't remember the max steering angle for this car but sure something around ~50° and that should be enough for some drift action. It just needs a balanced steering lock. After raw dynamics the slicks are more a issue.

10. kotakotakota

kotakotakota Registered

Sorry, can you show us that in the frequency domain? :p

Joking aside....
    @Racefreak, also make sure your FPS is also high enough... Anything lower than 60ish will make it much much harder to drift.

11. faior

faior Registered

Exactly same thing which I have noticed.. my drifts with rear wheel drive cars just always always always ends like that, it magically just launches the nose to the other direction without any warnings all the sudden. Drifting with 4WD cars doesnt have that.. which is obvious though since the front wheels are pulling too. I have tried to apply negative camber to the front wheels to avoid such sudden frontwheel traction.. but it doesnt change it enough. Maybe different tyres would.

12. DrR1pper

DrR1pper Registered

lol sure, let me fetch my laplace table. :p

13. Skynet

Skynet Registered

14. DrR1pper

DrR1pper Registered

nice!

15. boblevieux

boblevieux Registered

Try this 370z setup on the Nurbug GP.

onboard

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 7, 2013
  16. R1CHO

R1CHO Registered

hahaha drifting lol any car any sim it can be done

its all about drifting in spots where well.... you just shouldn't be. Like Mount Panorama