Rf2Rift - rFactor2 Oculus Rift Plugin and Tools

Discussion in 'Other' started by vittorio, Aug 15, 2013.

1. vittorio

vittorio Registered

[MENTION=8903]Adrianstealth[/MENTION]

;)

@Mark8539

I just tried Rf2Rift_2_0_test4.dll (32 bit version) again with build 770 and headtracking works here without a problem. I can't find anything wrong what you did, headtracking should work (as long there is no other application running using the tracker). Maybe there is a problem with windows 8.1 ? (windows 8 + plugin got tested, I don't know about windows 8.1).

Could you please try Rf2Rift_2_0_test4_debug.dll and post the output? See this post http://isiforums.net/f/showthread.php/14441-Rf2Rift-rFactor2-Oculus-Rift-Plugin-and-Tools?p=224101&viewfull=1#post224101

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 3, 2014
  2. Mark8539

Mark8539 Registered

The output is

-STARTUP- (version 1.770)
    --STARTSESSION--
    Init Rift
    pManager OK
    pHMD OK
    Unable to find Rift
    ---ENTERREALTIME---
    ---EXITREALTIME---
    --ENDSESSION--
    -SHUTDOWN-

So, I've tried plugging the USB cable from the Rift into other USB ports on the PC and the same occurs. In any of the USB ports then the Rift is picked up by other applications that use the Rift OK. I'm ensuring that trying rFactor2 is the first I do when I boot up the PC so I haven't run any other Rift applications beforehand that might be 'holding it'. Strange...

3. vittorio

vittorio Registered

@Mark8539

Sry, I don't know what the problem is. Usually this output indicates that another application is already using the Rift tracker. Maybe it's a Windows 8.1 problem. Is anyone using successfully Windows 8.1 + Rf2Rift? Or have the same problem?

4. vittorio

vittorio Registered

5. Eurisko84

Eurisko84 Registered

Tested with 770 on both 32 and 64bit. Works a treat! Cant wait to get my DK2 and give it a crack.

Edit: And with Tridef 1.0b8 - works good. rF2 looks heaps better too!

6. santa8086

santa8086 Registered

So everything was working great for me for a while now, but then I updated to 798 yesterday and can't seem to get the rift going. Only roll works for tracking, and the OSD in Tridef refuses to come up so I can't seem to change any rift/3D settings, even when I tick the box to use 32-bit executables. Hmm. I have the latest TriDef/Rift Add-on installed.

On a different note. I got my 'your order is about to ship' notice for DK2 today. :)

7. alpha-bravo

alpha-bravo Registered

got this week a email from oculus. They wrote I should check my order and the payment details. Status of my order is still waiting because oculus is waiting too for some parts but it seems first delivers are not far away. I hope I'm not to far behind in the backlog.

8. blanes

blanes Registered

Does rF2 currently work with the DK2 ? Sorry if this is something I should know... I ordered a DK2 back in May and hoping to have it by the end of month if the advice for shipping is still correct !

9. formula1do

formula1do Registered

I got the Oculus dk2 yesterday and was up most of the night trying to get it to work - ultimately unsuccessful.

I followed all/most instructions in this thread. Unfortunately a lot of the Tridef setup looks like it was for an older version of their software (3.8.5 no longer has an HMD header), and the rF2 file structure has changed a bit with recent builds (new location for plugins in bin32 and bin64?).

The video in game works well, just no head tracking.

I tried putting the plugin (Rf2Rift_2_0_test4.dll) in most combinations of locations:
    - rFactor2/plugins
    - rFactor2/bin32/plugins
    - rFactor2/plugins + rFactor2/bin32/plugins
    Still no head tracking, and the LED on the camera does not light.
    I made sure to wait 20+ seconds.
    I deleted all TrackIR plugins in all plugin folders
    Build 798 of rF2

The built in Oculus demo works flawlessly with head tracking - amazing first experience in a virtual world.

Any thoughts? Perhaps the latest plugin does not work with dk2 yet?

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 13, 2014
  10. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

hiya vittorio

you have rf2 working seamlessly with the dk2 ????????

11. Ctuchik

Ctuchik Registered

That is a very old post regarding DK1.

BUT, I can confirm that Tridef does work ok with DK2 and rFactor looks pretty playable. There is no correction for chromatic aberration and I guess no low persistence but it looks pretty good. All we need is a new version of the headtracking plugin that supports DK2 and it should be very playable. @vittorio !

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 11, 2014
  12. vittorio

vittorio Registered

Rf2Rift V3.0 test1

Some early informations:
    * For now don't use this plugin if you are new to rfactor2 or are not tech-savvy. This is an early test version for people who have already used previous versions of the plugin + Tridef.
    * V3.0 test1 is compatible with Oculus DK2, DK1 (+RiftUP!) and uses Oculus SDK V0.4.1
    * For DK2 it uses positional tracking, for DK1 head&neck model is used.

Some early guides:
    * Set Rift Display Mode to "Extended Desktop to the HMD"
    * Set Rift DK2 as primary extended display in NVIDIA Control Panel (Rotate Rift DK2 to "Portrait", Set Rift DK2 to 75Hz)
    * Enable VSYNC in NVIDIA Control Panel.
    * Use TriDef 3D 6.3 + TriDef-3D-Oculus-Rift-Add-on-1.0b8. (the plugin only does head tracking)
    * ... in TriDef 3D Ignition->Tools->Display Settings.. set 3D Display type to Oculus Rift and Game Resolution
    * ... don't use rF2 in 64bit mode (and the x64 plugin version) for now. Tridef has a bug and doesn't show the OSD menu for 64bit applications
    * ...... when using a 64bit OS in rFactor2 Launcher -> Advanced -> set "Use 32bit executables on 64bit cabable operating systems"
    * ... for DK2 use Tridef settings described like in previous plugin version but set Output FOV to 93 and Game FOV to 105.
    * In rFactor2 Launcher - Configure Sim: set Resolution to 1920x1080 32bit, Refresh Rate to 75Hz, Sync to None
    * You have to configure rF2 so that you never get below 75 FPS when using DK2 (60 FPS when using DK1), otherwise you will see major stuttering. There is a bug in the Oculus SDK, Oculus is aware of it and probably will fix it in next SDK version.
    * ... for rFactor2 you need a powerful machine to archive 75 FPS. I have set reflections to off, shadows to medium, circuit, opponent and texture details to medium.

Tridef notes and tips:
    * DK2 isn't officially supported with latest Tridef, it's not perfect but still usable. Correct chromatic abberation is missing. Aspect ratio is a bit off and applications arent easy to start (we have to wait for proper DK2 support in Tridef). Some tips to start rfactor2:
    * ... switch your DK2 off
    * ... start Tridef Ignition
    * ... switch your DK2 on
    * ... press keys windows+shift+cursor left/right to move Tridef Ignition window to the extended secondary display (monitor)
    * ... start rFactor2 in Tridef Ignition
    * ... (if you have to configure sim like resolution use windows+shift+cursor again to get the window to your monitor)
    * ... start single player or multiplayer
    * Ingame use numpad plus key to see the whole screen when using the Rift.

Rf2Rift V3.0 test1 installation and usage

Assuming your rFactor2 installation dir is: C:\Program Files (x86)\rFactor2
    and your Packages dir is: C:\Program Files (x86)\rFactor2\Packages

rFactor2 Oculus Rift Headtracking Plugin installation

• Download Rf2Rift_3_0_test1.zip (see Attachments) and extract
    • Copy the file Rf2Rift_3_0_test1.dll to C:\Program Files (x86)\rFactor2\Bin32\Plugins
    • Remove the file C:\Program Files (x86)\rFactor2\Bin32\Plugins\TrackIR_rF2_Plugin.dll to avoid a conflict (keep a backup)
    Change following settings in C:\Program Files (x86)\rFactor2\UserData\player\player.JSON (keep a backup):

"Car Vibration Mult1":0,
    "Car Vibration Mult2":0,
    "Cockpit Vibration Mult1":0,
    "Cockpit Vibration Freq1":0,
    "Cockpit Vibration Mult2":0,
    "Cockpit Vibration Freq2":0,
    "Exaggerate Yaw":0,
    "Glance Angle":1,
    "Glance Rate":200,
    "Head Rotation":1,
    "Look Up/Down Angle":1,
    "Look Roll Angle":1,
    "Lookahead Angle":0,

rFactor2 Oculus Rift Headtracking Plugin usage

I assume you have Tridef beta with Oculus Rift support installed (see Tridef beta installation and settings below). Use the latest TriDef 3D 6.3 + TriDef-3D-Oculus-Rift-Add-on-1.0b8.

The "Look Down" key is used to recenter the headtracker. Assign it to a button on your wheel so it is easily accessible:
    SETTINGS->CONTROLS->CAMERA and assign "Look Down" to a button on your wheel.

Known issues

When entering a practice, qualifying or race session the plugin doesn't work for the first ~13 sec. This is a known limitation of the rF2 plugin system and according to ISI this time won't get removed. If you are prone to motion sickness it's best to not move your head during that time. Wait for the message "Oculus Rift is ready." (AFAIK there is no message after restart race). Keep your head straight when you enter or leave a practice, qualifying or race session.
    To prevent a race to start before the plugin got loaded set "WAIT FOR ALL PLUGINS TO LOAD" to Yes in SETTINGS

You have to configure rfactor so that you never get below 75 FPS when using DK2 (60 FPS when using DK1), otherwise you will see major stuttering. There is a bug in the Oculus SDK, Oculus is aware of it and probably will fix it in the next SDK version. You need a powerful machine to archive 75 FPS. I have set reflections to off, shadows to medium and circuit, opponent and texture details to medium.

Oculus Runtime V0.4.1 installation

Installation of Oculus Runtime V0.4.1 is needed and available at: https://developer.oculusvr.com/

Tridef installation and settings

Follow http://www.tridef.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=3907 for installation (install Tridef 3D V6.3 and TriDef-3D-Oculus-Rift-Add-on-1.0b8).

These settings are known to provide good results (using Tridef 3D V6.3 and Tridef Ignition 3.8.5):

Tridef (use key 0 on the numeric keypad to get access to the Tridef settings, navigate and change via numkey cursor keys and 5):
    • 3D->Scene Depth: 50
    • 3D->Custom Focus: On
    • 3D->Near Plane: 0
    • 3D->Far Plane: 100
    • HMD->World Scale: 0.06
    • HMD->Force FOV: Both
    • HMD->Output FOV: 93 for DK2 (100 for DK1)
    • HMD->Game FOV: 105 for DK2 (95 for DK1)
    • HMD->OSD Depth: 0.50
    • HMD->OSD on HMD: On
    • HMD->Output Quality: High
    • HMD->Head Tracking->everything off! Restarting rfactor2 after setting this is needed!

rFactor2 Oculus Rift Customized HUD installation

(Like every other rfcmp):
    • Download riftmultidial_0_8.zip (see Attachments in the first post) and extract
    • Copy riftmultidial_0_8.rfcmp to C:\Program Files (x86)\rFactor2\Packages
    • Start rFactor2 Launcher
    • Click Manage Mods
    • Check Viewing: Components
    • Select Rift Multi Dial
    • Click Install
    In rFactor2 Single Player:
    • Enter CUSTOMIZE->ONCSCREEN DISPLAY
    • Select RIFTMULTIDIAL

rFactor2 Oculus Rift Customized HUD usage

The customized HUD is needed to be able to see necessary informations in race. These are:
    Flags and symbols (top left). Messages (top). The HUD MFD (bottom right, access with key 6 by default) and the HUD Stats (bottom, access with key 4 by default). Virtual mirrors aren't visible, they would break immersion anyway.

History
    • 24.08.2014: Added installation instructions for Rf2Rift V3.0 test1

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 25, 2014
  13. vittorio

vittorio Registered

Rf1Rift V3.0 test1 (Plugin for rfactor1)

I've ported Rf2Rift_3_0_test1 to rfactor1. (Attention, this is a rFactor1 plugin, not rFactor2!) V3.0 is compatible with DK2, DK1 (+RiftUP) and uses Oculus SDK v0.4.1. For DK2 it uses positional tracking, for DK1 head&neck model is used.

Rf1Rift V3.0 test1 (for rfactor1) installation and usage

Assuming your rFactor1 installation dir is: C:\Program Files (x86)\rFactor

rFactor1 Oculus Rift Headtracking Plugin installation

• Download Rf1Rift_3_0_test1.zip (see Attachments) and extract
    • Copy the file Rf1Rift_3_0_test1.dll to C:\Program Files (x86)\rFactor\Plugins
    • Remove the file C:\Program Files (x86)\rFactor\Plugins\rFactorTrackIRPlugin.dll to avoid a conflict (keep a backup)
    Change following settings in C:\Program Files (x86)\rFactor\UserData\yourdrivername\yourdrivername.PLR:

Glance Rate="200.00000" // Rate to follow controller for glancing
    Look Up/Down Angle="1.00000" // Angle to look up/down (pitch) w/ controller in radians (= degrees / 57)
    Look Roll Angle="1.00000" // Angle to lean head (roll) w/ controller in radians (= degrees / 57)
    Glance Angle="1.00000" // Angle to look left/right (yaw) w/ controller in radians (= degrees / 57)
    Lookahead Angle="0.00000" // Angle to lookahead (yaw) w/ steering in radians (= degrees / 57)
    Head Rotation="1.00000" // Additional head physics multiplier affecting rotation only
    Exaggerate Yaw="0.00000" // Visually exaggerates the heading angle of the vehicle by rotating the head (which may improve "feel")

Cockpit Vibration Mult1="0.00000" // Primary aerodynamic vibration multiplier affects eyepoint position (base magnitude is in VEH or cockpit file)
    Cockpit Vibration Freq1="0.00000" // Primary rate of vibration affects eyepoint position (higher framerates allow higher rates)
    Cockpit Vibration Mult2="0.00000" // Secondary aerodynamic vibration multiplier affects eyepoint orientation (base magnitude is in VEH or cockpit file)
    Cockpit Vibration Freq2="0.00000" // Secondary rate of vibration affects eyepoint orientation

rFactor1 Oculus Rift Headtracking Plugin usage

I assume you have Tridef beta with Oculus Rift support installed (see Tridef beta installation and settings below). Use the latest TriDef 3D 6.3 + TriDef-3D-Oculus-Rift-Add-on-1.0b8

The "Look Down" key is used to recenter the headtracker. Assign it to a button on your wheel so it is easily accessible:
    In rfactor1 go to CUSTOMIZE->SETTINGS->Advanced control settings->MAPPINGS and assign "Look Down" to a button on your wheel.

Oculus Runtime V0.4.1 installation

Installation of Oculus Runtime V0.4.1 is needed and available at: https://developer.oculusvr.com/

Tridef beta installation and settings

Follow http://www.tridef.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=3907 for installation (install Tridef 3D V6.3 and TriDef-3D-Oculus-Rift-Add-on-1.0b8).

These settings are known to provide good results (using Tridef 3D V6.3 and Tridef Ignition 3.8.5):

Tridef (use key 0 on the numeric keypad to get access to the Tridef settings, navigate and change via numkey cursor keys and 5):
    • 3D->Scene Depth: 50
    • 3D->Custom Focus: On
    • 3D->Near Plane: 0
    • 3D->Far Plane: 100
    • HMD->World Scale: 0.06
    • HMD->Force FOV: Both
    • HMD->Output FOV: 93 for DK2 (100 for DK1)
    • HMD->Game FOV: 105 for DK2 (95 for DK1)
    • HMD->OSD Depth: 0.50
    • HMD->OSD on HMD: On
    • HMD->Output Quality: High
    • HMD->Head Tracking->everything off! Restarting rfactor1 after setting this is needed!

Known problems
    • You have to configure rfactor so that you never get below 75 FPS when using DK2 (60 FPS when using DK1), otherwise you will see major stuttering. There is a bug in the Oculus SDK, Oculus is aware of it and probably will fix it in the next SDK version.
    • Tridef doesn't have correct chromatic aberration for DK2. We will have to wait for proper DK2 support in Tridef for that.

History
    • 24.08.2014: Added installation instructions for Rf1Rift V3.0 test1

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 25, 2014
  14. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

thanks vittorio

will try this as soon as I'm home I'm a couple of hours
    will report back

do we need to buy any other software?

15. crz

crz Registered

Thanks vittorio! I have no idea how it works but I'll fiddle around until there is a description. Can't wait to drive a Howston at the Nordschleife with my rift

16. vittorio

vittorio Registered

wait a bit crz, I'm writing now some early informations, and later today full description how to use it.

17. crz

crz Registered

Ok then, I guess my fingernails can take it a little longer

18. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

going to be a late night tonight

good job for bank holiday Mondays

19. Ctuchik

Ctuchik Registered

Does seem to work great! Gonna need to spend some time tweaking it to find the best settings. Vitt, you are the man! :D

20. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

hi

so I'll download tridef 6.3 (& perhaps buy it within 14 days)
    is the " TriDef 3D Ignition 3.8.5. " included in the tridef 6.3 download ?

I can't find it on their site

EDIT : yes I think it's included in the download