[RELEASE] Nordschleife Tourist v1.65 beta

Discussion in 'Locations' started by pleclair, Aug 4, 2013.

1. Kevin Karas

Kevin Karas Registered

AW: [WIP] Nordschleife Tourist

@Tosch Now that's what I expect a sunlight have to look like. Veeery nice :)

Gesendet von meinem HTC One X mit Tapatalk 4 Beta

2. pleclair

pleclair Registered

I have to agree! Its nothing like Mills HDR which is almost WoW looking.

Regarding the track... hmmm, the task at hand is beyond enormous. I don't want to give up tho, cause once that will be done, a good part of the major work will also be done, and I'll be able to tackle in little details afterward.

After trying the track as I said I would when I wrote my last update, it was fine, but since the side of the road had lower mesh resolution, pulling the edges to match the track didnt resulted in a perfect fit. That much I knew, but the part that were overlapping were giving my little flickers. Not so good...

So I was going to lower the z position of the edges so they would be below tarmac, but that didnt seemed right.

Then I set out again to try different things to have the mesh around the road smooth properly. I tried remodelling areas differently, and while it worked perfectly in some areas, it didnt worked right in others. While racing in cockpit view, I guess we would have never noticed it, but seeing from tv camera, or free look might have revealed less than desirable effects.

So here is what I'm doing now... I'm fixing all sides of the road and matching the resolution of the track verge to the road mesh, so I can then pull in vertex by vertex (only the vertex of the bottom edges, close to the road), while zoomed in max, with snap to edges on. This results in a perfect fit, just as if it were detached.

The only downside, its really long. I have put about, I dunno, maybe 3 hrs on the road1141.gmt object alone. So this will likely take anywhere from 1 month and up, 10hrs+ per day.

I learned something nice today tho, in blender I was familiar with slide edge loop feature, but couldnt find similar in 3dsmax.. a little search on google (cause I really needed it now), revealed that it was under my eyes the whole time, its the constraint panel.. setting it to edges and bam, the vertex slides along edges! Can do the same for edges as well!

I wish I had found a way of doing it faster, but there is really no other way... The original mesh is next to horrible really... there is a lot of patching and overlapping faces, extra vertices (the whole terrain objects are around 188000 vertices when not welded, and become a mere 45k or so when welded. Gives you an idea of what it looked like originally :p) Wondering if this was made in 3dsmax, or something like BTB?

Now I'm not saying I would have done better, I wouldnt even have been able to do such a thing at the moment, but still, I can say the original mesh isnt a good shape.

Btw, I never intended to stop working on Nords at 1.0 ;) I got plans to go further past that. My dream would be to have a complete overhaul, dunno if I'll be able to make it, but I'll do all the dirty work, and if I cannot improve texturing (have yet to learn and figure texture mapping), then at least the heavy work will be done, and someone could take up on the texturing once I'm done.

Current goals I'm aiming for 1.0:

-1x mesh smooth/1x tessel road mesh, with fixed road sides
    -wet reflections
    -additional tdf definitions for all kinds of road surfaces (atm they are grouped in 3 groups or so I think)
    -light rubber real road preset
    -tosch hdr profile built in
    -proper shadow groups for low and medium settings

maybe forgetting some stuff...

Also, those playing with no HDR can rest assured the game will still look good without. Until recently I used to prefer with no HDR, but seeing Tosch profile lately made me change my mind. But still, I'll make sure the track looks great without.

EDIT: Oh and ever since I swapped my parts in, not a single 3dsmax crash! Working great so far!

3. kill_em_all

kill_em_all Registered

Hi pleclair,

Just wanted to thank you for sharing this project. It's clearly a great effort you put into this nicely improving version of a track! The higher res surface (curbs) of v0.96 really makes a difference, cant wait for the future updates.

4. Marvin Morgan

Marvin Morgan Registered

Thanks pleclair. I had faith you wouldn't get drowned in the noise. ;)

5. GCCRacer

GCCRacer Banned

Yep, one of the latest I got is the new Tomb Raider - no issues. Problem with RF2 sometimes seems to be that they are maxing details with polgyon count and texture size - like in the "good old days". Not much modern GPU trickery involved. RF2 is the one game that's really making me want to upgrade.

Pleclair: It's good to hear the new parts are helping! Sometimes this project seems like a WW2 Warbird restoration. You know, you can go to Duxford in the UK and they might be restoring a heap of metal that once was a Zero, crashed somewhere over the pacific and recovered after 60 years in the water. They end up fitting pretty every part new to that heap of metal, so by the time it looks like an aircraft again there are barely any "original" parts left <- that seems to be what you end up doing with this track :) In both cases sometimes you end up wondering if you might have worked from scratch ;)

6. Lynkk

Lynkk Registered

Preclair: have you tried Mario's scripts to snap the vertex from a object to a different object? I do that to snap the vertex from the sides to the roads. It saves me a lot of time.

7. Mydriaz

Mydriaz Registered

So am I, I'm very happy to drive on this track, no trouble with this :).
    I would just prefer less dust like it is on Kyalami 75 track for instance.

8. GTClub_wajdi

GTClub_wajdi Registered

I know that every one willl jump on me now!
    You are doing a very good job and i want to say thanks you for the effort, but this track needs a big team to do it better! this isn't a 2km track, this is the Ring!

This a 6-7 year old game and it looks much better!
    I have said it from the begining, you should have ask for more help!
    Don't take it personally, but we are in 2014 and we need more quality!
    Good luck!

9. GTrFreak

GTrFreak Registered

Gosh.. pleclair also could've done nothing.. Making it (atm) impossible for us to drive a decent version of the Nordschleife.

Try to run that 6-7 year old game that looks better, with realroad, HDR, in dusk, noon or at night.. You're forgetting that that GTR-E version is a static track which looks the same every time. A track for rF2 is way more complex because of the fact that all textures for instance, have to look right in all conditions (at noon, at dusk, at night, at dawn, in rainy, overcast and sunny) Ofcourse it doesn't look as finished as the GTR-E version but you just can't compare those 2.

Please, have a little more faith and give pleclair the time he needs. He'll do a damn fine job and when needed, he lets others join the development.

10. ~IsR~Barabba

~IsR~Barabba Registered

lol
    I send this message to all those who want it all and they never do anything to help other people who work for them, you will find everything ready server tracks VMOD mod, and eventually just criticize and push people to get angry.
    Since you have all the time to write on the forum.
    Why do not you start to learn how to make tracks?
    is now ending up with these things.

Babs

11. GTClub_wajdi

GTClub_wajdi Registered

http://isiforums.net/f/showthread.php/14150-WIP-Nordschleife-Tourist/page31
    Please?!

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 1, 2013
  12. Golanv

Golanv Registered

You dont have to use the track if you dont like it.

13. GTClub_wajdi

GTClub_wajdi Registered

And you and the one above you don't have to quote me if you don't like my post!
    I didn't say that I don't like it, I have said it needs more work and quality!
    I have espressed in the last pages what I think about the layout and some elevation errors!
    I have said from the begining that the track was too much pumby and with the last version he has improved it and now it's much better!
    I have said that there is too much dust out there, specially over the curbs and I hope he can resolve this thing!
    I didn't say that his work sucks and I didn't offend his person, I just espressed with respect what I think about this state of the work in progress!

14. Tony

Tony Registered

'kk let's cool it fellas

This forum is a micro-democracy & we're all entitled to express our opinions..

wadji - by the way it's bumpy not pumby :D

I watched your GTR vid & think it looks much like rF1 - flat light, no shadows cast across the track or car hood etc.. when I look at Tosch's latest pics with HDR on, they look cool & much more sophisticated than the GTR clip - to me anyway

It is a massive undertaking though, & we are all behind Pierre and his humungous effort & time he's put into bringing this to us in rF2.

I think most of us here are respecting Pierre's wishes to let him get it to a stage where he's happy to pass the project on to others with different talents to carry it further.. I too can see some key graphical bits each side of the track that could be improved, but hey.. I can't model in 3Dsmax :rolleyes:

15. tjc

tjc Registered

Wajdi mate...

We`re actually still in 2013 :D :p

16. tjc

tjc Registered

I`ve noticed another couple of bugs pleclair. Maybe the shadows bug has been mentioned already, if so, sorry for posting about it again.

The white lines don`t line up correctly in some places on the track.

[​IMG]

Plus when watching a replay in bonnet cam, the shadows in front of the car seem to disappear.

Before the car reaches the shadow it`s fine:

[​IMG]

But when it does reach the shadow it vanishes in a nice neat line:

[​IMG]

This only happens at certain places on the track. When driving up to and then over shadows on other parts of the track, it seems to be fine.

17. Bart S

Bart S Member

Lets see pleclair started 2-3 weeks ago, gives you a release in a matter of days. I don't think this is good enough either wajdi, honest.
    How long has it taken the other guys to update there tracks to rf2 standard and with the knowledge they already know how to mod.

18. GTClub_wajdi

GTClub_wajdi Registered

:D
    Ok, I respect your opinion mate, but if you add to the Evo's version dynamic shadows, Real Road and some dynamic lighting, it will look great!
    However. keep it going Pleclair and I will make a little donation soon!:)

19. GTClub_wajdi

GTClub_wajdi Registered

I already live in the future!:cool:

20. Golanv

Golanv Registered

I didnt quote you, I didnt quote anyone; Now I will...

I suppose I should have clarified who am I addressing.
    ...and of course people have to quote you when you make a post against the popular opinnion, some may even deside to attack you, a phenomenon that you tried to acknowledge with your opening statement of
    ,but then forgot to deliver and ran to your own selfrighteus defense.
    This is a public forum that you desided to share your views in, not your personal diary.

Nexttime: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vp_tjYszBmQ