[RELEASE] Nordschleife Tourist v1.65 beta

Discussion in 'Locations' started by pleclair, Aug 4, 2013.

1. Golanv

Golanv Registered

Oooh a Troll, and I missed it :(
    ...and, oh no you didnt! Pleclair is a messiah around here dude... BAD Troll, BAD!!!
    [​IMG]

2. alpha-bravo

alpha-bravo Registered

[WIP] Nordschleife Tourist

That is community teamwork ! Great :) (beat the troll and support the modder:D )
    Pleclair many thanks for sharing this great track with us :)

thx alex
    Gesendet von meinem iPad mit Tapatalk HD

3. pleclair

pleclair Registered

Hey guys!

Time for another morning status update!

I'll just pretend I didnt read INTEL48 comment and just do as if it doesnt exist.

So, I made nice progress yesterday!

I got the gmaterial almost figured in 3dsmax. Since I do not have 3dsimed until the 26th of august, I have spent a good part of the day, yesterday, figuring out the materials in 3dsmax.

I have updated the mats properties on all the track itself, and it immediate surroundings. Those familiar with the gmts, mainly the road????.gmt objects from the original track.

Still have a few kinks to iron out, like some strip of sands somewhere that is appearing way too much dark, and few spots like this here and there, but for those I swapped, around 90% of it all worked as expected.

The tarmac and curbs now look very good!

Here is a little screenshot showing the current stage of it:

View attachment 9407

As you can see, the tarmac now looks much better, so does the grass, and more specially the grass close to track.

The trees and everything else is still from the 0.91 version released.

Still a lot of work to do, must redo all trees, swap all other scenes mats (got about 1/4 or 1/5 done).

So if all goes well, I think we should be seeing an update within 2 weeks or so.

Regarding the donations, I have been able to purchase 3dsimed v3 and Mario's tools, along with the combo suggested by Hermmie. Should get it between the 28th of august and 2nd of sept.

Thank you very much all, it will most certainly help. Since I tessellated the track mesh, the max file is now much heavier for my comp, and started crashing again rather often. The layers did helped a lot tho, but I've reached my limit once again!

4. Kevin Karas

Kevin Karas Registered

Awesome to hear that the community can support your work to make it even better than it is now. Thaaaanks for providing us the green hell. Had lots of fun on it :p Looking forward to the next update/s.

Greetings from internationalsimracing.com

5. lbird

lbird Registered

Thank you for your great work so far and especially the uptodate feedback you are providing. By reading this i can learn a lot about the pitfalls and iterations of converting tracks for rF2.

6. pleclair

pleclair Registered

Turns out my issues with darker patches are easier to troubleshoot than I originally thought :)

When I detached the curbs, I did switched that little patch of grass that is with the curbs texture.

Com8 did it this way because there was no way to blend in terrain otherwise. So all side textures include two textures in reality.

So it turns out I forgot to switch the patch behind the larger concrete extensions that some curbs have.

It is time consuming for a 20km track, but it should be done relatively quickly!

The sides of the track looks so much better now, looks more uniform and better blended.

I have still to learn about vertex alpha and terrain blending. As I would like to blend in the different grass textures together... I have yet to find out how. Gave it a try yesterday, but I couldnt see much difference in the strip I changed the vertex alpha.

7. PRC Steve

PRC Steve Registered

Keep going man! And Com8 is a legend!!

8. pleclair

pleclair Registered

He really is!

It's a shame SimBin got him instead of ISI.

I wasnt around when rFactor 1 was kicking, and this got released, so I dunno if it's been made by this guy alone, or a team of any size, but if its the work of one guy... its a real wonder.

I love working with this track. It wasn't the easiest choice to start learning track making, but I'm still proud to be working on this.

I hope com8 sees this one day and feel proud to have his work rightfully displayed in rF2.

9. GTClub_wajdi

GTClub_wajdi Registered

10. PRC Steve

PRC Steve Registered

Yeah man he will and he will be proud! Of your talents!

11. Ensi Ferrum

Ensi Ferrum Registered

Keep up the good work

12. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

You are truly brave to be tackling one of the biggest tracks in history as your "learning project!"

But I am pleased to see you fixing problems and addressing issues in your own way. The COM8 track is far from a perfect reproduction, so no harm in making a few tweaks here and there. Once you are proficient, I am sure the true experts will help you to massage the areas of the track that are known to be most innacurate. Once the base is stable, I am sure you'll become a quick study on how to do those changes, too!!!

Thanks for all you efforts.

13. PaulG

PaulG Registered

Just registered to say thank you, pleclair. It's already a great translation and I'm excited to see you're working on further improvements.

Just remember, when you read something like the above post, know that for every ingrate and entitled internet tuff guy, there are always hundreds of silent people who are very appreciative.

14. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

Thanks for email pleclair , I hope things are much easier with your new gear

You're doing a thorough job, I'm not really using rf2 at the moment
    But might start after the next build ' choose a car & use this track

The track surface is the important thing to me so I'm glad this is being worked in also (-;
    I'm used to Iracing laser scanned tracks & whilst some of them are fairly flat (as in real life ) some have so much character
    Small cambers / lumps / grooves all over them

This really looks as though its going in the right direction (-;

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 22, 2013
  15. tking

tking Registered

pleclair, I also registered just to say thank you. Keep up the good work!

16. swaussie

swaussie Registered

I just donated a small amount to show my appreciation for the hard work this guy is putting in to this track for our benefit! Merci pleclair :D

17. GTS

GTS Registered

These may help refine the circuit?

Altitude profile:

View attachment 9449

View attachment 9450

Surface profile - this video really shows just how bumpy, and uneven, the road surface is for a normal sports car with road legal tyres : (see from 1m47s)

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 22, 2013
  18. pleclair

pleclair Registered

Hey guys!

Can almost say long time no see, by my standards :)

Well, a lot have happened here since I last posted an update.

I've spent the last two days working on the trees, and I got every single one of them right this time. Can't be 100% sure, but after a few laps, I can say I've seen no weird behavior from any.

So that means, no trees shy away anymore in cockpit view, or any view. The shadows of the trees are no longer rotating on the ground.

It looks perfect now!

The skids are working on the curbs and concrete extensions to the curbs.

The new road is now a bit smoother, and I havent seen the AI glitch like it was happening sometimes in the previous versions. I havent had the time to check out the AI lap times, but they may be better overall now. I'd be curious to compare.

Let just say that its coming along nicely and a lot faster than I originally thought. Everything has been redone from scratch!

If all goes well tomorrow, we might be lucky and see a 0.95 or so version this week end,prior to the 1.0 release coming soon, with hopefully most of rf2 features in.

Well, I'm looking for:

-Wet reflections
    -More TDF variations for the many different tarmac. Now it's under 2-3 category, I'll do a tdf def for each kind of tarmac.
    -Optimized shadows and track details settings, enable the trees and stuff close to track, and disable the distant stuff, etc.
    -And probably forgetting stuff... its nearly 3h30am, and worked all day!

I've ran a few laps in the Formula ISI 2012, and damn.... its like the ultimate sensation! Reaching top speed in some areas is incredibly quick!

Can't wait to hear what you will have to say about the next update!

19. Hazi

Hazi Registered

Bravo!

20. lbird

lbird Registered

Seems like its coming along nicely. Good job!