[RELEASE] Nordschleife Tourist v1.65 beta

Discussion in 'Locations' started by pleclair, Aug 4, 2013.

1. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

Re: OcioKart Project

Small donation made.

Enviado desde mi GT-I9505 usando Tapatalk 2

2. delapecs

delapecs Registered

Thanks for your effort Peclair, for many of us this track is all that we needed to fully enjoy rFactor2.
    Donation made​​.

Your name will be associated with Nordschleife for rFactor2, begins a saga! ;)

3. vittorio

vittorio Registered

Try this:

4. Voltaic

Voltaic Registered

I will try that, thank you!

5. GCCRacer

GCCRacer Banned

Donated, thanks for this very important track and giving it proper attention.

One minor thing: Does it really make sense to bring back the "tattoo" surface differences? I race my motorbike on a hungarian track that has "paint on curbs" - no one there every complains that the paint reduces grip. Not sure if this could realistically be done without being exagerated.

6. pleclair

pleclair Registered

Your welcome!

Regarding the tatoos, I'll give them a last shot.

The reason why it didnt worked as I thought it would on the first try, was because I forgot to increase the mesh density on these. Since they are rectangles as wide as the road, while we were driving over them, the increase mesh underneath would be masked by the low res mesh of the tatoos.

Thats why it was so rough with them on!

The grip level was fine, I think. Barely reduced it for dry, and quite a bit for wet.

I know the regular paint line on the road are very slippy when wet, and quite noticeable under dry. Well, at least those large bands at stop section are when you accelerate hard while standing on them :p Used to spin wheels with underpowered cars on them when I was younger :p Maybe the racing paint line uses different kind of paint, making it grippier than regular paint?

I still doubt tho that under wet it is not noticeable. Can someone give their own experiences regarding this?

Regarding the status, here it is!

I ditched the containers for the layers suggested by Tuttle! I like this much better actually! The containers became a mess when max crashed, and was harder to manage since I couldnt save incrementally without ruining the containers, and I had to save both containers and max file at the same time, otherwise a crash would mess everything up.

Also, all the initial import I did with the containers have been redone. I had most of the road detached, but I was starting to notice the mesh had extra vertices. When I was selecting some vertices, it was actually selecting multiple.

A quick select all, weld, revealed that the number of verts was about 4-10 times the amount after weld.

The quadrify problem I had, which wasnt doing anything was because of this.

I remembered that I once imported as smoothed with the script by Mario, and didnt had this quadrify problem. But I was importing everything as not smoothed, since I didnt knew what it was, and thought it would actually smoothen mesh.

But looks like it doesnt really smooth, but fixes mesh problems, and actually, lots of extra vertices are already welded.

So I did a quick test, imported as smooth, and tested the weld on all verts on a few segments.

Was much better, in some cases, only 1 vert got welded, in some, none... in other a few hundreds. Never close to twice the amount got welded.

So I re-imported everything as smoothed, into 17 layers, and now I have a very solid base to start working!

So yesterday evening and night, I detached the road, along with every road patches (so they are actually race surface and will get the proper pavement tint, and not become as dark as it was), and now I'm currently carefully detaching the curbs.

I need to fix some edges here and there so I can add proper loop rings, and make sure I only detach the curb themselves and not that part of grass that is with the curb.

So far, with the layers setup, I've had only 2 crashes! So this is pretty good! I'm only working on an unfrozen layer, havent enabled two yet, but its a relief. I was crashing way more before. A little less with containers than I had previously using nothing, but layers seems better for me than containers, regarding stability. For my purpose, I much prefer layers, since everything is saved in one max file, I can also increment save as well!

Want to thanks again all that donated. I'm sorry, I've been busy yesterday trying to get a proper base to start actual work. I will send you all an email thanking you personally and asking you if you want your name in the credits (thanks) section of the post? (will create one if a few actually like the idea).

Regarding the decision on the parts, I will wait until early next week to make a decision, I got enough to order the combo suggested by Hermmie yesterday in that other thread, which was 205 I think, plus shipping. But someone offered me an Alienware x51 with a core i7 3.4ghz and 8gb ram. He would remove the harddrive and gfx card and let me have it for 280$ shipped. I think it would be a better choice, but I'll see how it goes on next week.

Otherwise the combo suggested by Hermmie will still do it nicely.

Wasnt initially looking for performance really, but if I can have something that is quite a bit more powerful for roughly 40$ more, I think it would be unwise not to consider it :)

I'll keep you updated as always!

7. Nazirull Safry Paijo

Nazirull Safry Paijo Registered

Nice start pleclair. My league is currently using it as a TT challenge in server 'MSR CAMARO NORDS'. We r all having fun! but the outlap is too long hahahah. Is the track can be possibly rubbered?

8. GCCRacer

GCCRacer Banned

Hi, you are right and I was not precise... of course if you have the paint effect strongest under wet conditions, that makes perfect sense. I only was thinking of sunny and dry conditions where it really isn't much of a factor. Not sure how rough the Nordschleife tarmac is, on true racing tarmac a thin layer of paint will not matter much in the dry.

9. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

[WIP] Nordschleife Tourist

Don't forget about the resume from replay feature guys. Probably very useful here...

Sent from a mobile device using Tapatalk

10. jimcarrel

jimcarrel Registered

Plumb forgot about resume in replay. Maybe I should check that out.
    It's hard to remember "new" stuff, when your finally figuring out old stuff.

11. Nazirull Safry Paijo

Nazirull Safry Paijo Registered

resumem fr replay doesnt work if ure in a server i think

12. Golanv

Golanv Registered

+1... end of the damn track is still giving me a cold-shoulder.

13. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

Donated (-;

Keep up the good work pleclair I think your going to be a good modder

14. tjc

tjc Registered

lol yeh... I remeber back in Gpl days I got to know maybe two thirds of the track very well but the last bit very often gave me the cold shoulder... still the same now :D

RFR will definitely be handy here...

15. rob1178

rob1178 Registered

i missed a memo, apologies but can someone go over this restart from replay feature?

god knows how i missed it but its slipped under my radar!

16. mauserrifle

mauserrifle Registered

Donated. Your work filled up the missing piece of my rFactor 2 installation. Thank you for that :)

17. Ricknau

Ricknau Registered

I've noticed a weird thing on the downhill run before the climb up to the Flugplatz section (before the hump that goes over the road beneath). The trees on the left seem to be on a down-escalator. As they appear closer and closer due to the car's forward motion they get lower and lower as if they are sinking into the ground. It's a weird affect. Without a 3 screen setup it might not be as noticable but it is very apparent when one has that much FOV. Can anything be done about that?

Edit: Also, someone mentioned regarding being race-ready that there are no starting lights nor the horn that gives an audio cue for the start. While sitting on the grid with no AI, i.e., only the sound of my own engine, I can hear the horn very faintly. So it is there. It only needs to have it's volume turned up.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 18, 2013
  18. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

Known issue Rick, and hopefully fixed in coming updates.

Or, if it cannot be fixed, I would advise Pleclair to advertise it as a new feature :)

19. pleclair

pleclair Registered

Hello guys!

Time for a little daily status update!

I had to take a few hours off yesterday, because my parents came over for diner, but I've been able to put down quite a few hours on it, before and after :)

I'm now down to 7 segments left to detach curbs (on 132), and all have been carefully and perfectly detached. No grass should be tinted yellow by the real road shader!

Also, as a result of importing everything smoothed, and still welding the remaining verts, the road objects, that initially had 88000 verts in, is now down to 54000. And its not finished. Should go down a little more once I'm all done.

Of course, this number will creep back up a lot more once the mesh is increased, but that means the mesh is now in a much better state than it was originally!

We should be seeing a difference because of this... I've surprised myself and fixed quite a few glitches that happened during the smoothing of the importing and the quadrifying.

Sure, there are the trees that are still left to do, and a couple other things, but its going at a great pace now. I do work much faster than I initially did, but I dont see my previous work a waste of time or anything, as I learned how the track was made, and got familiar with its 1593 gmts :)

@GCCRacer The version of Nords we have would be an aged tarmac I would think. Thats how I set it up in the tdf. I've looked at how ISI have done their, and based on my real life knowledge on new vs old tarmac (should be noted that I've never step foot on a racing tarmac... so I cant say for this) it looks good.

With grip level higher on dry and lower on wet on newer tarmac... so I went with similar values.

The rougher part are lower on grip (0.95 I think) and a little more grip on wet than the newer parts. I actually set up all the different materials differently.

I'll go over this again in this new version when I'll work on the tatoos. I'm sure that with them increased mesh, and properly set in the tdf... it will make very interesting racing, specially in the wet!

I will seek to make them feelable on dry, but should never disrupt the driving.

So that's about it for now, I'll go back and finish those few segments left.

20. pleclair

pleclair Registered

Regarding the trees, it is my belief now the problems dont lie with the trees themselves, but in the way the billboard is done, or a limitation of the billboard system itself.

I've redone them 4 times, with different parameters, following ISI recommendations, Mario's recommendations, and this always happen.

If you notice in the ISI tracks, no bb trees stand close to the road, those are all 3Ds.

Also, in nords, it always happen when the trees are close to you, and more specially when sitting lower than you.

So I really doubt that will be something I'll be able to fix.

The fix will come in either swapping those close to road with 3D ones... or managing to move those sitting lower a bit up, so they arent so evident.

Or using the X shape trees for those ones.

I'll see which ever does it best visually.

But I'm 100% certain there is no problem with the trees themselves... or there is a problem in gMaterial Tools which created all the trees for me. The exporter settings are the same as ISI or Mario's (which had -1.0 bin and tan)

But I'll see that the problem goes away one way or another, I cannot leave this as it is.

I left it there because I couldnt fix it, and thought someone might suggest something, but already tried all that's been suggested... so I'm pretty sure I'm right when I say the problems is with the BB system itself.