7950 eyefinity performance

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Kevko, Jul 2, 2013.

1. Kevko

Kevko Registered

Hi guys. I recently got a Gigabyte 7950 and a 3rd monitor and have been trying out games in eyefinity.

Problem is in rFactor2, I am only barely pushing 60 fps with all settings at the bare minimum. At first I thought that maybe this single card would not be enough, but I just tried iRacing and I am able to get 84+ fps with everything maxed.

Anybody know of any fixes (catalyst profile maybe?) that I could try? Or do I just wait and hope that rFactor2 or amd drivers are updated to work better? Thanks!

2. GTClub_wajdi

GTClub_wajdi Registered

Mmmmmm..strange! I have the HD7950 Flex edition and this is my quote in the Silverstone release thread!

3. WiZPER

WiZPER Registered

GTClub, running MultiView ?

4. Hedlund_90

Hedlund_90 Registered

I have been trying to get my 7970 crossfire and 3 monitor-setup work with rF2 for weeks without any result. But some settings work better than others.

Do you have any CAP installed? Try to install one, 13.5 CAP1 for example, and if you already have and that doesn't give you better performance, you can try to create your own, wich will replace the 'predefined' one. Once created, you can change CrossfireX-profiles in the bottom of that page. CrossfireX 'Standard' profile will be default, and with build 218 this gave me best performance, but with build 240 the 'AMD Predefined Profile' gave me better results.

In some games, some people get better performance without any CAP too... so you might want to try that too.

In my case, I'm thinking of selling my 7970's and buy one fat nvidia-card instead... I'm so tired of crossfire right now.
    But it gives me a fps boost with single screen, but with triples it has been totally hopeless, so far.

5. GTClub_wajdi

GTClub_wajdi Registered

No!

6. WiZPER

WiZPER Registered

Proper tripple needs MultiView or you get crappy stretched side views. But even on my 7970 it's nearly impossible :S

I get serious FPS-hit when using MultiView...

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 5, 2013
  7. Gearjammer

Gearjammer Registered

My question for you is the frame rate smooth when you play? going for anything over 60 at times is a waste of energy, especially if it isn't smooth. If the frames are smooth and things look good, why worry about frame rates?

8. Timpie Claessens

Timpie Claessens Registered

Try to take your not native res, mine is 5040*1200 which makes it a bit better but don't expect miracles, you can be happy if you touch 60fps now and then BUT...You'll always get massive drops and random times at which point you'll get microstutters.

To make it somewhat playable on most tracks have to put your details so low that it looks like you're playing the older brother.
    No HDR, medium or low shadows (which are terribly optimized, you'll have them flashing all over the place on guardrails and whatnot) and you better forget about AA ;)

//edit And why do people keep saying you don't see a difference in +60fps? You should get your eyes checked :)

9. Kevko

Kevko Registered

Thanks for the replies guys.

@Hedlund_90: I will try 13.5 CAP1. I haven't used any profiles yet. I simply setup eyefinity with bezel correction.

@Gearjammer: The frame rate feels like what MSI OnScreenDisplay is showing me. 30-40 fps is okay, but does not feel smooth overall. Just watching is okay, but you can definitely feel it in how the car reacts to your inputs. All I want is an fps that rarely drops below 60 fps.

@Timpie Claessens: I am using the bezel corrected rez that eyefinity calculates. Turns out to be something like 5500x1050 (not at home right now to check exact res) because the 3rd monitor is a loaner that is only 1680x1050, while the 2 monitors I own are both 1920x1080.

@GTClub_wajdi: If you aren't running Multi-view, does that mean you are using SoftTH?

If I run rF2 in single screen, I can get 120+ fps with really high settings on Silverstone everywhere except the start/finish line and pit area which has a problem and drops down to 30 fps. I really hope this gets sorted.

10. Hedlund_90

Hedlund_90 Registered

Sv: 7950 eyefinity performance

This sounds like my situation exactly, but I have even worse fps although 7970's. I think It's simply bad optimized multi-view, crossfire, or combination of it.

But as I said, try some application profile, and try to make your own if problem remains. RadeonPro is also a great tool for some tweaking.

Have you tried disable ULPS? For me, crossfire gave less fps than single card until I had disable it and restarted computer.

Sent from my LT26i using Tapatalk 2

11. Kevko

Kevko Registered

I just switched over from an nvidia gtx570, so I am actually unsure as to what an application profile can change. This is different than the presets you can save, yes? And what is ULPS?

BTW, I am running on a single 7950. So no crossfire issue here.

I will try all of these things tonight. I also thought of 1 more thing to try. I have been launching the game through steam. I will try launching the game directly to see if the steam overlay has some effect on performance.

12. GTClub_wajdi

GTClub_wajdi Registered

No, that means :
    Multiview selected: Rendering three camera viewpoints, so more VGU usage and Frame-rate hit!
    No multiview selected: Rendering only one viewpoint all stretched, so less VGU usage and less Frame-rate hit!
    For now I'm running without multiview option and that allowes me to have 20-30fps extra! yes, the view isn't perfect, but for now it's the best solution, beacuse now and after one year with 3 monitors, no way I will go back to only one monitor! I can't even drive with only one monitor!

13. Kevko

Kevko Registered

I will try without it tonight. If none of the suggested changes do the trick, I will try a full reinstall.

14. Hedlund_90

Hedlund_90 Registered

Oh my... I'm sorry, I was sure you were running crossfire :eek:
    Just forget everything I said about application profiles and crossfire.
    Also forget about ULPS, because it's for crossfire also, I think. "Ultra low power state".

But eyefinity with single 7950 however, I'm not sure you should expect too much from that. I was running single 7970 with eyefinity before, and I was barely able to hit 60 fps when alone on track, medium/high settings and AA set to 1. With AI's, my fps was 25-50. But with everything set to LOW and driving alone, I think you should reach 60 fps, absolutely.

But when you had +80 fps in iRacing, did you use the 'multi-view' there? (I don't know what they call it because I don't usually play iracing).

Anyway, rF2 is badly optimized, that's no secret. It runs great for some people, but eyefinity and amd seem to be a bad combination. Wajdi is not using multi-view for example, and that's a must for me (and others) if I'm going to play 3 monitors.

Agreed. I have much more control over the car with triple monitor... I know exactly where I have it, much more sense of speed, I better know where I have my opponents etc etc. I can't go back to single monitor. If it doesn't work with two 7970's I simply have to buy one monster-gpu to replace them.

15. Kevko

Kevko Registered

Ya, on iRacing I have the "render screens separately" enabled. iRacing runs like a dream and the physics in their latest update wasn't too shabby either. Just their pricing model is a nightmare. :p

It turns out that I didn't have the latest catalyst drivers. I thought I did because I would use the "check for updates" in the "software updates" page. It kept saying "not available", which I mistook for it meaning there were no udpdates available. Really, it just wasn't able to connect to the server to check for/grab updates. After installing the 13.1 drivers, the game runs a bit better. I could run the C6R on Limerock with some of the settings turned up a bit and get 70-90 fps.

Should be capable of looking nicer, but at least it doesn't totally look straight out of the '90s now. Hopefully it gets better optimization as time goes on. And you shouldn't feel like you have to upgrade to one monster-gpu. Two 7970's should be able to run high-max settings on all games for at least the next year or 2. If a game isn't giving you that, that's the game's fault imho.

16. Hedlund_90

Hedlund_90 Registered

Sv: 7950 eyefinity performance

I have been subscribing since May because I thouht the lotus 49 was going to be released, but in late june I cancelled it because it had still not been released. Only reason I payed was the lotus. Has it been released yet?

Good to hear that you got your problems sorted. But 13.1 is not latest, 13.4 is. I'm using 13.6 beta2 and it works fine for me with single card. You might want to update to 13.4 at least, or wait until end of july, when new drivers are expected to be released.

Single 7970 works quite well with eyefinty, I removed my second one today. 60-80 fps at malaysia, and 45+ with 12 AI. Silverstone 45-65, but with 12 AI at the start, I have only 30 fps. But it's quite smooth anyway, much better than with crossfire. But now with multiview disabled, otherwise unplayable.

I'm curious to see what fps you have on Silverstone?

Sent from my LT26i using Tapatalk 2

17. Luc Devin

Luc Devin Registered

The crossfire is if you have the motherboard.
    Ie the two PCIE x 16 and not in the second at x8 if you lower the use of crossfire.
    then check this first.

7950 vapor X 3 GB, on my side, is 5392x1050 with compensation and works well, it is smooth and stutter.

I do not watch the FPS is not the most important thing.
    Has to be beautiful and smooth the rest ...

18. Kevko

Kevko Registered

Lotus 49 has not been released yet. I'm just on the Cadillac free 3-month promotion for iracing. It's possible they will get a subscription from me, but I will wait and see how Assetto Corsa turns out and if rFactor2 makes any improvements in optomization and if the multiplayer servers fill up more. I would also be waiting for one of their big sale promotions, like the one on Black Friday.

Ignore the "13.1". It is probably "13.4". I do a lot of my posting when I am on break at work, not at my home PC. Got whatever the latest stable driver was on the AMD site.

I tried Silverstone briefly. Was getting about 50-70 fps on most of the track, 30-40 fps near the pits. But that was in private practice. I will give it a more thorough test with AI as well and let you know how it goes.

19. fastfezzer

fastfezzer Registered

Currently rF2 is my weak sim in terms of FPS.

HD7950 3gb @ 5760x1080

iRacing MultiView
    Max Settings
    120+ FPS

rF2 MultiView
    Med to High Settings
    50 FPS average

20. maseratialfa

maseratialfa Registered

For low framerates make sure supersample is not used with rf2, use multisample and the fps gain is huge.