My feedback on rf2

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by bokoboko, Mar 31, 2013.

1. bokoboko

bokoboko Registered

Hello all,
    decided to post my personal feedback on rf2,cause one year ago when i made a similar thread i got the impression that things will get updated/fixed but for example the ffb didnt get improved.So here it is:

1)FFB in slow corners:
    It is so low that i cant feel if the car has grip or not.There is no progression when loosing grip,its like on/off switch.
    It should be for example: 0=no grip and 10=full grip,now if im on 1(means just almost before loosing the entire grip) the effect in FFB should be if not strong,then understandable to my wheel so i can control my car.
    This problem goes stronger especially in fast cars(formulas),it starts with a little bit even with the megan and goes more and more through the faster cars.Im not saying i cant control the megane but i can feel that detail.Its slower car than others so this feeling cant be fast thats why i can control it more than the faster cars.But if i take the marussia and try to turn with 2nd-3d gear then im countersteering by myself without taking any info by my wheel,i see my screen if goes left/right(to understand if im spining)and if im lucky,then ill pass that turn.Its very frustrating when pushing and trying to make a hotlap.

On a side note,one guy from the stuff that answered me in the thread i made one year ago,said that we know that u dont have "chassis" around u to feel what the car is doing but u get info only from wheel/screen/speakers.This is very positive and imo the right direction of an FFB.But still the "slow corner thing" its there and im wondering if its got forgotten or they left it cause maybe people are happy with what they have in general..

2)Lag/Problem when throttling the cars:
    I cant keep the revs in a steady point.I press a little bit(but steady) my gas and revs go up.Why is this happening?
    They should remain in 6000 revs(for example) and when i press a little more and keep it steady they should stay for example in 8000 revs.
    Its an important controllable factor of the car and its very noticable in fast cars cause it helps u spin in a slow corner.

(Except the gass/rev problem iv also experienced this:I was on grass with marussia,i pressed full gas to spin the car and the rear wheels did nothing.I have experienced this more than once with other cars also.So i believe theres something going on with this.)

3) Turning:
    Well imo the best explanation on how some cars turn is like how a robot turns.I mean i expect the car to make a half cyrcle when its turning but it turns sudden like a robot,its like pointing very fast left,pointing very fast right.
    Its like the hole car as an object turns.
    Example:Im on straight and i want to turn left.When i turn the car "Bam" it points on the left,it doesnt make like a half cyrcle to point there,its like the hole car is turning and not the front part of the car following by the rear part.

Also,when im on turn without pushing the car just a slow normal turn,after some degrees of rotation of the car,the tyres start to make the sound like they loose grip but im not pushing at all! I believe that the physics allow me to turn the car for spesific degrees and if i turn more ill loose grip and spin.Im talking about slow speeds,without pushing at all,even with no gas.
    Iv experienced this much much more in iracing,when i was turning the car more than about 45 degrees,the car would loose grip whatever i do.In rf2 its not so much of course cause cars are a lot more drivable but i believe that this thing exists even a little bit.

Edit: Another example is that i put 1st gear and i want to make just cyrcles with slow speed and the car is already "ready" to loose grip,i mean i should be able to make cyrcles without being so focus on the car if its going to loose grip,thats why i believe all these are related to how much the car will turn.I mean whatever tyres u will have or if the road is "green" or not u should be able to make cyrcles with slow speed(of course im not talking about pushing the car just normal slow cyrcles).

PS:I send a message to a stuff saying some of these but didnt get a reply,i suppose they have a lot of work,i understand.So i decided to make a thread.I did that cause im afraid that maybe developers feel that everything is in a very good level and they will update other things cause i read posts here regarding graphics and other things.Dont get me wrong,i respect all of the opinions and wishes i just wanted to be heard mine also.
    Also i know that rf2 will be updating constantly so i dont have the demand my wish/feedback to get in 1st priority(if of course devs agree with what iv wrote),i just want to get some answers/thoughts/opinions from devs on how they see things in what iv wrote.
    I wrote all these cause i want to be a happy customer just like many of u are.
    Its my personal feedback,i didnt wright the positive things about rf2 cause are already posted and im very very gratefull for all of them that will be in simracing,i want to enjoy rf2 just like some of u are. :)

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 31, 2013
  2. TIG_green

TIG_green Registered

I Agree that there is lack of ffb in slow corners to some extent.

Have to try myself if revs go up dispite you hold the throttle at a same point all the time. If so, then definently something to fix. I have not paid any attention to that because all happens so fast usually :D

3. ifrans

ifrans Registered

Do you use a G25 or G27? I have a G25 and I find myself countersteering without feeling anything on ffb or very little, just on visuals, memory and sound, but I think it has to do with my old wheel, which can't cope with all the ffb. It only happens sometimes, and increasing the strenght of the FFB to 1.5 helps me a lot with it. I think if I have a t500 or clubsport wheel the feel would change.

But i'm only guessing, don't know for sure. But in the end for me it's fine because I adapted to it and it's predictable, have no real trouble from it.

4. bokoboko

bokoboko Registered

I had g27 and then bought a t500.First thing was to fire up rf2 to see the changes cause some were saying that with their t500 theres no problem and everything was fine,and i was wondering to see now that i have t500 how things will work!
    Unfortunately it is the same.
    T500 can handle stronger forces cant provide more info.
    Well adaption is a solution but i want something more than that especially when in the old formulas there is feedback in slow corners and not in the other cars(more or less).
    I learned to drive like that and if i push a car and want to make a hotlap,believe me,its so frustrating!

5. GTClub_wajdi

GTClub_wajdi Registered

Yep, I love rf2, but I have to agree with the OP! the FFB in the low corners is a big area where ISI has to work a lot!

6. ifrans

ifrans Registered

well you are in the position to compare so I take your word for it:) If that feels for a lot of people that it is a area to improve i'm sure they probably will somewhere in the future. They have already been improved a lot since the beginning. (or it's me just learning to drive better:) )

7. TJones

TJones Registered

Bokoboko, seems like something strange hapening to your controler settings.
    Please look into settings->controler, move your wheel and pedals and look at the gauges how they react to your input.
    You can setup your wheel/pedals by using the buttons "max left", "center" and "max right" for the wheel and "set min", "set max" for your three pedals.
    With everything properly set, you should not have any problem to hold revs on a specific rpm.

8. bokoboko

bokoboko Registered

I fired up again the marussia so i can post excactly whats happening and i realized that in about 40% of my pedal the revs go max..
    Thats why i thought i couldnt control it.(btw not configuration related but thanks)
    (ill delete then these lines from my post,nothings wrong here).

But should the revs go so fast at maximum?
    People already changed sensitivity from what iv read(also did i),do the real drivers have so less travel in their pedals and rpm's go max so fast?
    Dont know,i believe its more controllable in reality,anyway i made a bit of search of onboards from marussia from 2012 and i saw much easier acceleration from the corners and they pressed gas earlier even before apex.

Anyway this is just my opinion without knowledge so u can ignore it.

@iFrans
    Yes i agree,many improvements and what i like a lot is that all this time they keep silent and working,so huge respect to that.Their behaviour motivated me to post all these,also i wanted to say respect to Tim cause every time i read his posts he is so polite and fixing problems in the forum with kindness and respect to others(offtopic but i needed to say it xD)

9. 64r

64r Registered

Hi,

I would like to comment on your comment regarding the pedal position and the rpm. I was intrigued so I just made a little test with both the Clio 1.4 and the Marussia. Basically I sat in the garage and and applied the throttle pedal in steps and watched the rpm change. I could not reproduce your issue where you report that for a constant pedal position the rpms keep rising, for me there is a small delay while the engine speed matches the torque demand (the torque demand is generated based on throttle position). For the Clio the time constant is longer then the F1 car which is as you would expect.

Are you doing this test in the garage (stationary) or on the track with the engine under load? It is quite normal for the engine to go to full rpm with only light pedal application (about 30% on an F1 car) becasue there is no load on the engine.

Anyway, you can see from the attached images that the throttle, torque demand and rpm all appear quite realistic for me. If you are seeing this issue elewhere let me know the details and I will repeat the test under the same conditions.

View attachment 6997
    View attachment 6998

10. bokoboko

bokoboko Registered

Thank u 64r,problem solved then.
    I did it stationary in the garage.
    If u say that its like in reality i dont have anything more to add :) (and thanks for the example!)
    I guess its my lack of knowledge then.

So now the pedal travel remains..Shouldnt the 30% in reality become 40-45% virtual so we can controll it better?
    Do also the real drivers have travels like we do with our wheels?
    Im asking this cause it has the same "idea" like in ffb that we get more info on our wheels cause we dont have a chassis to feel the car.
    But anyway again small issue just saying.(if u want ignore this post also :))

11. TJones

TJones Registered

at about 30% here. I also use lower sensivity on the throttle (40% in my case).

I also have the impression sometimes, driving in reality is a little bit easier when i watch videos from cockpit-camera. But i dont think there is very much difference. Keep in mind the track is still "green" when you first enter it, so it takes some time to build rubber on the racingline.

You can try the new version (1.42) of the Malaysian circuit which has a little bit more grip. I found the marussia is a bit easier to handle on the new track.

Besides from that: practice, practice, practice !;)

12. Skynet

Skynet Registered

So far the Brabham has the best force feedback for me, it picks up right away after starting to move. The cars with the biggest problems for low speed FFB are high downforce cars like the Williams. This makes me think it is less to do with how RF2 generates FFB and more to do with Vehicle physics especially Aero/downforce. But hey, what do i know.

13. bokoboko

bokoboko Registered

Yes forgot to say that everything i posted has nothing to do with the old formulas(and the skippy) which i dont have any problem at all,ffb is there,cars turn naturally etc etc..
    I tryed to mention that not only in modern formulas but i can also feel even a little bit with the megane which is much slower..

I really wonder how devs see these things and what are their opinions,i hope when they have a bit of time answer/explain,thanks.