MultiView and Performance

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Duarte Pires, Mar 30, 2013.

1. coops

coops Banned

its crap and needs major improving thats all there is to it.

2. Frankysco

Frankysco Registered

When I´m driving I press the buttons/shifter without look at them, by tact. And my real wheel it´s going to be the virtual one, like my arms, cockpit... :cool:

3. wittsend

wittsend Registered

So I see that this is fairly old thread, but I'd like to dig it back up, because I don't believe this issue has been resolved.
    I find this particularly annoying, because when the open beta was release back in 2011/2012(?) I built my new computer at the time to exceed the recommended requirements for rFactor 2, with the intention of running a Triple head setup at a good framerate and good graphics settings. I was rather disappointed when, despite having a top end rig, I was lucky to achieve 40fps (usually around 30 though). Anywhy I put it down to just being a beta and there still being optimisation to perform etc. About a year and a half later, I fired up rf2 again, installed the latest version, and I found that nothing had changed. The graphics still didn't look that great and the framerate were poor, particularly with multiview enabled. I had assumed the game was still in beta, but after looking on the net I discovered that this was the released version! After looking further, I found this post and others like it that outlined that disabling multiview and switching to windowed mode bring the framerate back up, which they have. HOWEVER, why the hell should I have to turn multiview off and switched to windowed mode?? I don't have to do such things with other games to make them run better.. for example assetto corsa, which I bought recently, has no problem rendering to three screens, and there is no performance drop when using the triple head mode and the distortion corrected on the outer screen. In fact, their implementation of this 'multiview-like' feature is excellent. Now why can't ISI do that?

My system specs:
    CPU: Intel Core i7-3820 Running OC at 4.0GHz
    RAM: 16GB 2133MHz DDR3
    GPU: 2x GTX680 in SLI and Nvidia Surround, Connected to 3x 27" Viewsonic LCDs
    HDD: 2x 250GB WD Velociraptors in RAID0

4. hangon

hangon Registered

I had just upgraded to a 980TI and finally have "acceptable" framerates with everything turned up,except shadows on medium,on most tracks with a decent sized grid.Some tracks though still drag it down,typically non isi tracks that are not optimized very well.This is also on 3 - 27"
    Basically,it may be time to upgrade to the fastest possible gpu unfortunatley,if you want multiview with max settings.
    Assetto does definitly run higher fps ,but is a diffrent engine..kind of hard to compare

5. WhiteShadow

WhiteShadow Registered

http://isiforums.net/f/showthread.p...ble-(new-demo)?p=380452&viewfull=1#post380452

6. stonec

stonec Registered

There is no big issue with multiview AFAIK, multiview+SLI might be causing issues on some configurations (that is mainly due to SLI which few people use nowadays). Quick search from build changelog:

This was all done fairly recently.

7. WhiteShadow

WhiteShadow Registered

I find your claim about SLI not to bee truth. Maybe it is like that among RF2 users but there are millions of people using Nvidia SLI which does not seem to be welcome to play rFactor2 because lack of SLI support.
    Many people think that SLI this is too expensive but in reality you can get performance of GTX 980ti, TitanZ/X etc. to the half of the price with SLI.

Nvidia says:
    "Put your money into hardware that matters when it comes to achieving the ultimate in gaming performance. By investing in SLI instead of an overrated CPU, you get a faster gaming PC for less money."

ISI says:
    "There are a few hardware solutions you should try to avoid, such as SLI, which increases latency"

http://isiforums.net/f/showthread.php/26985-New-NVIDIA-SLI-profile

:confused:

8. djbob

djbob Registered

Same here, 980Ti and nice and smooth without Multiview (e.g. 175 fps) . Multiview does look better but drops to e.g. 125 fps (yet feels even lower than that somehow).

9. WhiteShadow

WhiteShadow Registered

If you have a 60Hz monitor, for example, your screen will refresh the monitor 60 times per second. That means, essentially, that you're always seeing 60 frames per second—even if you're getting more than that in your game.Your game's FPS reading refers to how many frames your graphics card is producing, not necessarily how many you're seeing. 120Hz monitors exist for those that want a really smooth experience, since they can show 120 frames per second.
    If you're getting more frames per second than your monitor can handle, you'll get what's called "screen tearing" VSync solves this problem by "syncing" the monitor's refresh rate to your graphics card's output. That means it'll cap your game at 60 frames per second, and wait until your monitor is ready for a new frame before it generates one. VSync will change your frame rate to 60 FPS, provided you usually get more than 60 FPS. This isn't a problem, since on a 60Hz monitor, that's all you can see anyway. However, if you get less than 60 FPS at any time VSync will hurt your performance but if you have the option to turn on "Triple Buffering" in your game, you should do that in addition to VSync. Triple buffering can help you keep the benefits of VSync while negating some of the performance loss, keeping your game smooth and tear-free.

If you don`t like to use VSync or Triple buffering you can go to UserData > player folder and open player.JASON file and edit (XX):
    "Max Framerate":XX,
    "Max Framerate#":"0 to disable (note: positive numbers only, we always use the 'alternate' method now)",

Max Framerate":XX, is also keeping your game smooth and tear-free in rFactor2. If you are running rFactor2 Mode:Windowed/Borderless is rFactor2 running true OS sync buffer and you get worse performance.Use Mode: Fullscreen to avoid this.

:)

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 28, 2016
  10. stonec

stonec Registered

You are supposed to get lower FPS with multiview than non-multiview. In multiview things are rendered in three passes, and moreover, you get a wider field of view than non-multiview (non-multiview has stretched cockpit effect in side screens), which all means less FPS. This is probably the reason most modern games still don't support it, even big sims like pCars, R3E and Dirt Rally (all big game studios and worse triple-screen support than rF2 or AC).

11. Cuthbert

Cuthbert Registered

+1 informative.
    Thanks, I never fully thought through the effect of V-Sync in the case where the GPU is outpacing the screen.
    But to clarify, screen tearing is what you get if the GPU is too slow, as well as too fast, no? As in, the GPU only gets halfway through drawing the frame and the screen starts drawing the next frame?

12. WhiteShadow

WhiteShadow Registered

Too high frame rate causes tearing, too low causes lag. When GPU only gets only halfway through drawing the frame and the screen starts drawing the next frame causes stutters.

13. djbob

djbob Registered

Thanks for the info - both framerates are well over 60 but there seems a big difference in perceived smoothness between 175 and 125. 125 should still feel super smooth but it doesn't. 175 does though. I am not noticing any tearing though I'm sure it is happening as you say - but then wouldn't an even faster frame rate be even worse once you go past 60? I have never known that happen.
    Back in the days when you would get 15fps in a driving sim with textures turned on, you might turn the textures off and get 30fps - it seemed butter smooth then, much smoother than 125 does now. I don't know why this is (unless it is my false recollection).

14. djbob

djbob Registered

I realise that - my point was meant to be that the drop from ~175 to ~125 feels far more than the 35% drop that it actually is.

15. WiZPER

WiZPER Registered

Use the MaxFramerate=, this will prevent microstutters from CPU and GPU pushing to their limit, trying to render useless frames.

And avoid vSync at all costs, this will cause input lag.

16. WhiteShadow

WhiteShadow Registered

I don`t understand what you mean but if you mean input lag (length of time a refresh is displayed on the screen) = 60hz > 16,7 ms, 120hz > 8,3 ms and 144hz > 6,9 ms. It does not mater how many fps you are forcing to your monitors length of time a refresh is displayed on the screen don`t get shorter.

17. WhiteShadow

WhiteShadow Registered

vSync can cause input lag but it is not a rule some hardware can also cause input lag. If you get less than 60 FPS at any time, VSync will cap it at 30 FPS instead, which would be a significant performance drop. So, if you regularly experience frame rates under 60 FPS, VSync will hurt your performance. I think there is video some place here in forums about rFactor2 input lag. I think it was DrR1pper who made it.
    Many are also using windowed mode in rFactor2. They don`t realize that it causes huge input lag.

18. djbob

djbob Registered

Well I can confirm MaxFramerate=60 does get the smoothness back for me, smoother than unlimited (which ended up ~125fps) it seems, so I am now very happy with Multi View - it is so much more immersive I had not realised what I was missing. Thanks for the help :)

(i7 4.3Ghz with 980Ti for your information)

19. WhiteShadow

WhiteShadow Registered

Sounds fine. :)
    You can also optimize GFX and get better game experience and gain few more fps in rFactor2.

Go to UserData > player folder and open player.JASON file and edit:
    "Texture Sharpening":0,
    "Texture Sharpening#":"Sharpen textures using MIP LOD bias - 0=Off, 1=+2.0(very blurry), 2=+1.0(blurry), 3=-1.0(sharp), 4=-2.0(very sharp), 5=0.0(auto)",

Nvidia Control Pane > rFactor2 profile.
    Maximum pre-rendered frames > 1
    Power managemetn mode > Preferer maximum performance.
    Texture Filter- Quality > High Performance

:)

20. Joeymaurone

Joeymaurone Registered

I have a question, and i don't know if opening a new thread is worthy, maybe this is the rigth topic..

Having sold my DK2, i'm trying to decide between a projector or a triple screen setup.

Having said that, my triple screen setup would be a 46"led tv (landscape mode) on the middle and 2x 32"led tvs (portrait mode) to fill the sides.
    I think this would be a great setup since 3x32 or even 3x40 feel a little narrow on the sky for me, i don´t mind on closed cars but i do on open wheelers.

Did anyone tried a configuration like that? probably would have resolution conflicts right?