Is the Clubsport Wheel Base & BMW rim worth €700?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by fastfezzer, Mar 13, 2013.

1. thuGG

thuGG Registered

Actually a few reviewers said that CSW is comparable if not better than Frex SimWheel.

2. F2Chump

F2Chump Registered

Yes, but careful not to put people off buying a G27, as let's face it, there's a huge gulf in price between a proper set up with Fanatec wheel/pedals/shifters etc, but that doesn't change the fact that G27 can nearly rip your hands off and is far superior to actual toys like DFGT.

3. LowRider

LowRider Registered

looooool

some other said that this reviewers have much more fantasy than real knowledge!

4. thuGG

thuGG Registered

Why LOL? The reviews was written by guys who used both wheels. Seems like it's you who don't have real knowledge, but you look at the price and OMG it's FREX so it must be aweeeeesoooomee! Frex wheel is pretty old construction BTW.

5. thuGG

thuGG Registered

G27 to rip hands? Nope, I've always used G27 set to 100% strength in drivers and 100% strength in sim, nowhere near to ripping hands.

6. F2Chump

F2Chump Registered

Fanboy talk....

7. thuGG

thuGG Registered

Fanboy? LOL, here is my wheel history: DFP, G25, G27, CSW. I've always been very happy with my wheels. The fact is that motors in Logitech wheels aren't strong enough to rip hands. Motors in T500RS and CSW are much stronger than in G27. That's a fact.

8. Panigale

Panigale Banned

FWIW - I previously owned a G27, it's a very decent wheel but it doesn't have what I would consider strong enough FFB to be a realistic sim wheel. If money is tight or if you are testing the waters with sims then it's a good enough place to start.

For about the cost of a good set of tires the T500 (currently using) or a CSW (don't own one but reviews have been good) will allow for a more immersive experience. Probably can't go wrong with either.

Oddly, in the AC TD the T500 feels like a stronger G27 but many of the small details weren't there. I don't know what rF2 does different for FFB but the T500 is being put to great use.

9. CordellCahill

CordellCahill Registered

touche. but that's why I said upgrade, and not replace

10. Miro

Miro Registered

The G27 is weak. The only reason why I am looking for a new wheel. I don't mind the noise and I like the wheel but it's just to weak.

Considering the costs the CSW is the only alternative for me.

11. thuGG

thuGG Registered

What about T500RS? It's also very strong.

12. Miro

Miro Registered

Yes I was looking into it but it seems to be so big somehow. With the CSW I need only the base and a rim for the beginning. With time I can add stuff if I need something. The two CSW rims look good also and are functional / have loads of features which are usefull .

13. Spadge

Spadge Registered

I'm looking at getting a new wheel too, to replace my G25. I want a CS but I think the Porsche GT2 is more my price range.

14. DocJones

DocJones Registered

I wonder how many people call the G25/27 a 'toy' based just on it's thin wheel. I bought a proper sportscar wheel for the G25 a while back, and even before mounting it, just holding it in place for a few minutes, the G25 rim indeed felt like a toy after that. The FFB? Might be better in a CSW, sure. Is it worth the money? Everybody's personal choise. I'd rather spend it elsewhere.

15. wgeuze

wgeuze Registered

Fondle that shifter for two seconds and you think, freaking toy. Sure the pleather might be kinda nice, but torque delivery is weak, software lock for steering angle and a quite narrow range of feedback strength.

I think it's an overpriced product for what you get but that's just me. On the other hand, knowing I can't afford anything else, it does what I expect it to do and with my sparco rim on there makes me smile.

Everybody values money differently I guess, if I won the lottery, this thing would surely go ;)

16. fastfezzer

fastfezzer Registered

Thanks for everyone's input. Has got me thinking a bit more. I have slowly upgraded my setup, it currently stands at a strong PC, triples screens, fully welded steel chassis with OMP seat, adjustable pedal length, mounted shifter etc etc.

The G25 was my first sim racing purchase years and years ago and I've done the full circle and it's now my oldest bit of kit.

My friend recently purchased a Fanatec GT3 RS V2 with the CS pedals. There is no doubting the quality of the pedals and I found the load cell brake an exciting prospect for my own setup. However, the wheel just wasn't what I expected. Not saying the quality is poor, as it feels solid and well made. Just....the wheel was perhaps a bit too thick. I just didn't feel that delicate FFB that I get from the thin rim of the G25. Maybe he had not sorted his settings out, but it just felt numb and was a great relief to get back to the G25.

The CS wheel really makes me want to upgrade by reading reviews and looking at the photos. But I'm worried it will be too similar to the RS wheel.

I feel like perhaps buying the CS pedals, a TH8RS shifter and keeping the G25 wheel for now. Until I can get a hands on experience with the BMW rim.

17. matt1818

matt1818 Registered

i have had my csw for 6 months now and bought it to replace g27 and after all this time i can say with out a dought its worth every penny .if i had to choose all over again i would buy csw again no dought its amazing .also have the f1 rim and it is also amazing no issues with anything easy setup and you are rocking and racing . good luck on your decision .i know its a hard one to make especially when your spending that kind of money but like i said worth every penny in my opinion ........

18. adaptable1

adaptable1 Registered

Here's what I posted on the hardware thread:

The CSW has very very strong FFB and it is adjustable while you are driving. So strong that it can retract the wheel after a sharp turn, just like a real car. I went from a G25 to a Fanatec CSR and finally ended up with the CSW with both rims and the shifter set. The CSW is the smoothest and most realistic out of the 3 wheels I've owned. I love being able to switch from the hefty BMW rim to the F1 style rim in seconds, and both remain very sturdy on the quick lock mechanism. It also set me back more than $1100 when you factor in the pedals....and another $1000 for the Obutto Revolution Seat/3 monitor stand.

The CSW is big, heavy, and strong. So much so that I would not consider putting it on a desk and it does not come with a desk mount. The shifter also has to be mounted to another surface (and also does not come with a desk mount).

The drivers have been updated twice since I owned it, and FanaLEDs has been a welcome piece of software to get the most out of the display and controlling the rumble effects.

Is it worth it? How much time do you spend sim racing? I race every day for at least an hour...some days as much as 4-6 hours, so for me, it was well worth it. I still have the g25 and CSR wheels that my son and I use with our console gaming systems on occasions, but for PC gaming...it takes the simulation to a whole new level because of the strong FFB, great buttons/sticks/knobs, and general feel of the system in a racing seat.

The Thrustmaster t500 rs is certainly a comparable wheel system, and many people feel that the Fanatec is at least on par or perhaps even better because of the controls. I've had limited experiences with the t500, but universally users tend to like the Fanatec pedals better (although you can use the Fanatec pedals with a t500 as well as a Thrustmaster shifter with a Fanatec wheel). I'd say that if you are on a tight budget (can't afford a cockpit/racing seat), the t500 might be a better starting point if strong FFB is what you are after.

19. ccjcc81

ccjcc81 Registered

Please forgive me if I am encroaching on the OP’s thread, but I am also considering buying a CSW, and have a very specific question to ask. I hear some of you say that the strength of the CSW’s FFB makes driving with it more immersive, and I’m wondering if it makes feeling track imperfections and bumps more noticeable. Please watch the video below, and note how when the driver gets out of the GP section of the ring, where the track is more bumpy and imperfect, it appears as though he really has to fight the wheel to counter the steering force caused by the bumps and slight elevation changes in the track. Honestly, this is something that I really want to experience in sim racing. I want to feel the bumps like that, which would really simulate car being connected (or not) to the road. I know that this is obviously mostly controlled by the sim track design, and rFactor 2 seems to simulate some bumpiness pretty well, but it doesn’t seem to be as forceful as in this video, at least not with my GT3RSV2. So, my question is, will the more powerful CSW simulate these bumps more forcefully?

Unrelatedly, this video is pretty good. After about 20 minutes the BMW catches up to the slower classes, and at the end a car catches on fire at full speed! There are also lots of other good videos at this guy’s channel.

20. Opulence

Opulence Registered

I used a DFGT for some years and before a Logitech Wingman or something like that. Tried the G25 and the shifter was horrible, even in sequential mode, the wheel was ok. Tried the G27, didn't like it that much.

Finally I got the csw with the f2 and bmw rim and it's like upgrading from a Trabant (think Geo Metro if you're from the US) to a Ferrari. If it's something you will use for 10 years or so, it's worth it, it will provide a lot of good times. I like that the bmw rim is like a real sized wheel and not a small puny thing, and it's very nice to switch between the 2 types depending on the type of car.