Oculus Rift over 100k DevKits sold -is ISI going to support with rf2 integration ??

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Adrianstealth, Jan 21, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. budwheizzah

budwheizzah Registered

That's not a problem, the rendition of the wheel in the game is good enough and as long as you don't have a crazy button config you should be fine. Paddle shifting works best obviously.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 3, 2013
  2. budwheizzah

budwheizzah Registered

Yup... from my experience with Tridef, Opentrack and rFactor 2 so far, using the Rift, it's the most normal feeling you can get. Plus the stereoscopic 3D not only isn't a problem... with the Rift it's necessary. I tried War Thunder's implementation and by all appearances it's monoscopic... no depth whatsoever. Boy did that make me feel sick and fast. Didn't even finish one battle. Feels like having an Omnimax screen around your head but like, at point blank. Terrible.

This rFactor 2 setup is my first stable and long running experience with the Rift and I have to vouch for the awesomeness of it.

3. budwheizzah

budwheizzah Registered

Actually for Opentrack it just seems that the HMD range supported by rFactor 2 is just around 110-120 degrees. The Rift is a 360 device... the issue here isn't lag but offset. If only the HMD factors in the INI files could be set higher than 0.35 we'd be in business.

Right now if I move my head left or right 90 degrees I only get ~45-55 degrees in the sim. It's not Opentrack's fault since its own test screen clearly shows it's detecting this 90 degree movement either way. I improved the situation by using filters in Opentrack. Lastly I used your settings but downed the rf2 FOV to 65. It crops out the view a bit - not unlike a helmet - but it also improves the impression of pan/tilt somewhat, so I kept it that way. Really we'd just need to be able to take the HMD ranges in the 0.7-1.0 and voila perfect setup.

4. museumsteve

museumsteve Registered

sweet..thanks chaps. I'll be giving this a go tonight :)

Last night I had great success with GTR Evolution/Race07. I assume the game being built with fairly low res in mind (years ago) it seemed well suited to the rift's res. Using the Formula RR add-on was amazing as it has a helmet in the cockpit view and with the rift on I felt like I was wearing a crash helmet.
    I felt like I was looking at my arms and my steering wheel..brilliant. Even more brilliant once I tried it with 2dof motion and simvibe :)

5. vittorio

vittorio Registered

For 1:1 head->camera movement you have to invert some axes in opentrack and change the player.PLR:

Glance Rate="100.00000" // Rate to follow controller for glancing
    Look Up/Down Angle="3.01600" // Angle to look up/down (pitch) w/ controller in radians (= degrees / 57)
    Look Roll Angle="1.58000" // Angle to lean head (roll) w/ controller in radians (= degrees / 57)
    Glance Angle="3.01600" // Angle to look left/right (yaw) w/ controller in radians (= degrees / 57)

(I'm not on my computer right now but iirc these are the correct values)

6. vittorio

vittorio Registered

I already made the changes for 1:1 head->camera movement when I tested yesterday. So I do think the issue is lag. Listening to the developers at Oculus, Valve and John Carmack low latency is most important. John Carmack: "20 milliseconds or less will provide the minimum level of latency deemed acceptable". (http://oculusrift-blog.com/john-carmacks-message-of-latency/682/). And IMHO its because of the low latency why the iRacing Rift implementation works that well.

Please, a question to the RF2 developers (hopefully someone is listening and has some time): Is it even possible to reach <=20ms headtracking latency when implemented via plugin? So it isn't a useless effort when I start writing one.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 4, 2013
  7. budwheizzah

budwheizzah Registered

A little run through rf2 using the Rift.

8. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

Re: Oculus rift -over 10,000 pre-ordered already ...ISI supporting??

Other software have already integrated occulus rift and, as always in rfactor, users are preparing non official tools to support it. Where is ISI's official support to this tool which appears to be the most important invention regarding immersion lately?

Enviado desde mi GT-I9505 usando Tapatalk 2

9. museumsteve

museumsteve Registered

Only iRacing has official support and only for a week ;)

10. museumsteve

museumsteve Registered

:( I cant get it to work. I used the same profile and settings as above.
    It boots fine but when I get to the menus I get a black screen with some text across the screen and when I go to use the mouse it leaves a mouse trail everywhere so eventually I cant see anything.

11. deak1944

deak1944 Guest

Excellent! Now I want one!!

12. budwheizzah

budwheizzah Registered

Ah me too... here's what you do:

Set yourself a hotkey to turn 3D OFF and back on. I set mine to CTRL and F9.
    Load up rFactor 2 and turn OFF the 3D (Having a monitor copying what your Rift sees is a huge plus here)
    Now do what you have to do (settings, config, graphics, controls, your car, your race, etc) and then hit RACE.
    Load the race, and once you're inside your cockpit hit your 3D ON/OFF hotkey again to turn it on. And voila. Put that Rift on and start driving. Your first session will ilkely involve a lot of putting the Rift back on and off to tweak your physical setup and your 3D depth, FOV and such.

Other hints:
    -Turn HDR OFF or it will not work.
    -Turn FXAA off or that too will cause it not to work.

13. budwheizzah

budwheizzah Registered

Oh, cool... thank you I had no luck finding those settings. Looks like we may already be in full business after all! Awww yeah. I'll let you know how that goes. Maybe another video? Who knows.

I'm not so much on that 100 rate though; the current value (default 7.0) for rate seemed fine in fact if it's too high I can't help but think it would make things too choppy. I'll try a few myself see what happens.

14. budwheizzah

budwheizzah Registered

Only issue is I hope they're not implementing it monoscopic otherwise it's going to be what War Thunder's implementation is: an instant vomitron. I learned the hard way, if the rendered world doesn't have depth, moving your head feels like the content wants to go through your face... it's hard to describe but I can vouch for the fact it'll make you sick and fast. I didn't hurl with War Thunder but I was close. The heavy sweat was on after 2 minutes. I wanted to record something on it but you know what it's so bad I can't think straight and I get so queasy I can't possibly have time to record something and explain it. It's just that bad.

Using Tridef Ignition with rFactor is a different story... it's stereoscopic, so you perceive depth and properly convince your brain you're driving on a race track. Things feel appropriately close & far depending on where they should be. It feels natural. I had at it for several more hours last night and I just never ended up feeling anything bad other than what you feel if you drive for hours, minus the exhaustion from G forces of course; I'd probably last well under ten laps in an F3.5 in reality LOL.

So the bottom line... should they support, they shouldn't be surprised if the word stereoscopic rushes onto the table as a priority.

15. budwheizzah

budwheizzah Registered

Get one! The wait time seems to have plummeted. I myself only waited 80 days (it's really low comparatively) and I think it's being chopped down to 45. The only thing that could hold you back, maybe, is the fact that the 1080p prototype is around the corner, hoping they lock onto a decent 60Hz 1080p mobile screen any time now; it's the challenge they are currently facing - it needs to be 60Hz and no manufacturers mass produce tiny 1080p 60Hz screen due to the lack of other need for it.

16. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

Re: Oculus rift -over 10,000 pre-ordered already ...ISI supporting??

I do know in what will I expend my money. This hardware could also revolution virtual reality in general. The possibilities are infinite. Waiting for commercial release.

Enviado desde mi GT-I9505 usando Tapatalk 2

17. elmpine3

elmpine3 Registered

I am so pleased that the third party stuff works great with rf2. This only means isi intregration will be fantastic. I have been interested i a hmd for racing for a few years now its not a long wait (i hope) for the commerial rift.

18. Winged Speeder

Winged Speeder Registered

Hi Folks,

has there yet been an official update on the riftsupport by the ISI devs? If i know one thing then that its REALLY important to implement riftsupport in simulations like Rfactor2. Otherwise people WILL start and switch sims just because of the missing support. Just a matter of time.

Speeder

19. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

Hiya

Tim has posted a few times -they have the rift but obviously their stacked out with other rf2 stuff,
    I think their aiming to implement support ready for the consumer version though

The dev version is so low res its not really a monitor replacer so no urgency until the dev version IMO

I think you can get it to work though (look back in this thread ) using 3rd party drivers

Roll on the dev version hey (-;

20. Winged Speeder

Winged Speeder Registered

Thats good news to hear. as long as its ready once the consumerverison comes out i am totally fine.
    I got a devkity myself and i know that the small resolution is a big issue. Well, hopefully some hacker will soon come up with a HD display dropin modification.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.