paint templates

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Mick-S, Jan 1, 2013.

1. Mick-S

Mick-S Registered

I downloaded the Nissan templates and the 379z is fine with all the layers
    but the Nissan GTR template is, see 2nd pic a background/raster layer?
    using PSP 9.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Mick-S

Mick-S Registered

not exactly user freindly trying to add skins, tried userdata/player/settings, can`t get anything to work.
    tried searching for a thread with complete instructions but no luck

3. Gearjammer

Gearjammer Registered

In the second picture, is that the only layer in the template? Are you viewing the alpha channel of the template for that specific one?

As for adding skins to the game, you have to create some folders to get things to work out. In your setups folder you need to create a folder with the same name as the car you are trying to put in game.
    For instance for the Clio you would make a folder like this: player/setups/Renault_clio/.
    Then you need to create a folder for the specific car that you are making the skin for. For example like this: player/setups/Renault_clio/clio_12/. That would allow you to create a skin for clio number 12.
    You will also need to name the dds file to match the car like this: player/setups/Renault_clio/clio_12/clio_12alt.dds. Make sure the alt part is in the file name.

To find the name, look at the car in the car selection screen in game and write the name for the car shown.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 2, 2013
  4. D.Painter

D.Painter Registered

This is a old problem that I was working on fixing. The template are created in Photoshop and have unsupported features that no other program will open. I was like I said working on making them clearer & other stuff but no one was interested in them so I gave up on it. I just assumed every one had Photoshop and left it at that.

Maybe the template creator should be more aware that not every one likes or uses Photoshop and they may not have the latest one out there either. I had trouble getting Photoshop 7 to do anything with them. I had to close all the layers (click on the eye) Open one at a time saving it to a new separate window. Once I had all the layers I put them all together to make up one template. Saved as PSD and now working fine in other program. I have PSPX1 & X4 but I have used PS Pro8 for years.

Total drag and a waist of time I thought!

Best of luck with it, Oh and if your thinking just open in a Photoshop and save it as a PSD that normally opens in Paintshop, Gimp, Net Paint and the like, You'd be wrong. The feature that's used on these templates seem to carry over regardless of the Photoshop version used. Well that has been my experience with them.

For getting it in-game as a PSP user your going to need the DDS converter. Photoshop has a plug-in by nVidia but it doesn't work as a plug-in for PSP, Well it want for me though I have heard others have got it to work. Who knows.

PSP hasn't got a channel tab were you can view and edit alpha channel. It is supposed to be able to edit alpha by using the Mask layer but ok maybe I'm just stupid because I haven't been able to get that to work either. When I've tried, I open the template in Photoshop to see if it the changes stuck and they didn't. I admit I didn't spend that much time on it because I have Photoshop anyway.

I'm sorry your having this trouble and hope some one can help you out but it want be me. I made the offer and got shot down a long time ago.

5. Gearjammer

Gearjammer Registered

As far as a DDS converter, there is one that works well for GIMP and GIMP is free so that might be an option for the OP.

6. Mick-S

Mick-S Registered

thanks for the help, got the skins to work o.k.
    the template is a bit of a bummer, as I have no trouble saving dds files with PS9, and it is the GTR I was wanting to do some skins for, maybe someone else has a working template.
    I managed to open the template in paint.net with all layers showing, but when I saved ended up with 1.02 GB file lol, anyway will keep trying.

edit:
    done what you tried saved each layer and stitched it back together in PSP9 early WIP:
    [​IMG]
    took me a while to realise to set the shades to multiply, still getting there.

7. D.Painter

D.Painter Registered

Yep and the wire frame to Different. This will make the frame a negative of the color your painting so it always stays visible when or if you need it.

Lucky you worked it out on your own as it seems you needed to.

8. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

Instructions were posted, but are removed while we completely change how they work, as right now, they don't work, not really. :)

9. kro388th

kro388th Registered

Did you read through this thread ?

http://isiforums.net/f/showthread.p...car-skins-here?p=124382&viewfull=1#post124382

I had probs to but after some edits to skin names i got them all to work , its a work around for now and client only but at least you can see them in your game ..

good luck !

10. D.Painter

D.Painter Registered

Your both missing the point. It's not the in-game part that the issue lies. Maybe a re-read of the OP might help.

Was obviously gotten around going by the screenshot.

@Mick. Did you replace a livery in the Mas file to get your skin in-game? Or did you get the alt skins to work?

The issue with editing anything in any Mas is you scratch it! If you scratch it is wont work online anymore because it now needs a new ID, A new ID that doesn't match will still render it offline.

To fix it, un-install the mod and re-install through modmanager. Your skin will be gone but you'll be back online.

11. 4L0M

4L0M Registered

I got the Nvidia .dds tools working in PSP8 by installing them to a folder on my desktop and then copying the files inside into the " Plugins " folder of wherever you have PSP installed.

12. D.Painter

D.Painter Registered

Yep, I had done that. The DDS save option did come up but when I tried to use it, it had a conflict with something, I don't remember what now. And it wouldn't open a DDS file for same conflict reason. Though I have to say this was quite a number of years ago and things have changed! Not so much the PSP8 of cause, it hasn't and want have a update but the nVidia plug-in has had several updates sines then. I'm sure I could have got it working but my main reason for not pursuing it further was that PSP8 or any newer versions don't have the same access to the Alpha channel. I do edit Alpha quite a lot and easy access and editing is very important to me. You see I make templates for these mods and textures that have no Alpha attached. I set them up for best affect. Matt to Chrome and all in between. Photoshop gives me that access quickly and simply.

13. Mick-S

Mick-S Registered

I did manage to get the the skins in game with the add ALT 1/2 etc, would be nice to be able to have a full grid of your own custom skins but not sure if that is possible at the moment.
    also editing the talent file to change names and ability would be something I want to do, but when attempting this caused a lot of problems so had to re-install factor and all the packages.
    my latest skinning attempt:
    [​IMG]

14. D.Painter

D.Painter Registered

Now "Why" would you want to put HSV and the Holden Lion on a Nissan??? It's a Nissan! A car brand in it's own right. Not a HSV, It's a GTR!

Why would you do that!

15. 4L0M

4L0M Registered

It's possible. You just need to package all your custom skin files up into a .rcFmp file for installation as a custom mod.

See, 30 player race with custom skins :

If you need a hand packaging your skins up, give me a shout and i will try to help you out.

16. Mick-S

Mick-S Registered

because I can:rolleyes: no to be serious just practising and had the art work for the Holden, hopefully we will get a mod with the V8 one day.

17. Mick-S

Mick-S Registered

if you get the time to let me know what I have to do would be much appreciated.
    have this tutorial: http://issuu.com/fullsim/docs/rfactor_2_packaging_tutorial
    but havn`t really delved into it as yet.

18. Traveller

Traveller Member

I snagged this before NAWSCAR went away. It is a post I made concerning the painting of the TPSCC cars-- and other cars that use alpha reflectivity-- using the more recent PSP's. Since the DDS plug-ins don't work, I use the DDS plug-in for GIMP to generate the DDS's from the TGA's created in PSP.

19. D.Painter

D.Painter Registered

Ok The only bit that makes sense is firstly this..

And this...

The rest is, to be polite, wrong.

The biggest wrong given in this is using the livery as the Alpha! It's states in the first few lines that the basic effect of Alpha is " Black = Matt or Flat & White = Chrome, Full shine, Maximum effect"

Using the livery design as the grey-scale for Alpha give you the full range of effect from Matt to Chrome over the whole livery going against your own basic principle. Liveries done using this method are washed out hodge, podge of different levels of shine depending on the depth of grey between black & white.

I find it so hard to believe this method is still being used and worse, Still being tort, Pasted on!

Editing the Alpha is a fantastic tool to get some wonderful effects but this isn't the way to do it! Surely I don't need to go through and dumb it down even further and use pictures to show what's plainly obvious even after this in your own statement,

As for the rest, Well it goes with the above really doesn't it?

A well made and presented template would have the correct Alpha already attached. To do a normal livery with a even level of shine. You shouldn't need to make or edit the Alpha at all. It's there! It's done for you.

A well made template would have also the Base Alpha components at the top of the layers list for you to use "If" you wish to edit the Alpha. In this I mean say, A flat black bonnet with chrome lettering. Edit only the bonnet in the alpha layers at the top of the list. Black out the bonnet area, Stark white the sponsor lettering. Merge "Only" the Alpha layers. Then you can now follow the example used above that I have edited out as useful info to add this edited Alpha layer to the Alpha channel. Then save to DDS as per the Targa save first.

[Note] Saving to Targa retains the Alpha channel on the template which is then imported to you DDS Converter. This is the reason for using the Targa format.

Of cause this will depend on whether the template is well made and presented or not. From what I've seen, the ISI template full quite short of being in this category.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 6, 2013
  20. rer8

rer8 Registered

I have Photshop CS2. When I open a template, I have only one layer. Does this mean that I have to get a newer copy of Photoshop, or does someone have a fix?

Update: It was my mistake... It had been about 5 years since I had last used Photoshop. I forgot to set the Window\Workspace\Default workspace. It works very well... now that I have had a 2 week refresher... :eek:

Last edited by a moderator: May 21, 2014