Tim's Tweets

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by buddhatree, Aug 9, 2012.

1. Minibull

Minibull Member

I'd be fairly sure ISI would want to keep their own distribution, Steam might just net them a little bit more business they otherwise wouldn't get. Could also be that the mod workshop would make dealing with mods even easier than it is now. Someone mentioned that branded mods may be prohibited though, total poop if that is the case.

It's something I'd really like to find out, would Steam try to force them to only distribute on their platform? If so, that kinda seems crap, they'd lose a fair chunk of their profit to Steam. As it stands, ISI must get all the money that someone pays for rF2. Still, it has to be a long way off. I think Rf2 would have to be much more polished before seeing Steam. Some pretty rabid customers in that place XD.

2. Jamie Shorting

Jamie Shorting Registered

Doubt it. Eve online, Graviteam games, BoS are a couple of games I know of that you can buy on Steam or elsewhere and I'm sure there are plenty more I don't know about.

3. Ari Antero

Ari Antero Registered

Stem can be a dangerous place there seem to be many hijacker`s and it is easy to get Account hacked, all items lost.:mad:

Of course will Steam Support do reverse the trades, especially of hijacked account, However it is a one time thing, If it happens again then they will not help you.:mad:

Be careful out there :)

4. Guimengo

Guimengo Guest

Steam support can be a joke and I have read cases of mistaken banning = lose your purchases = illegal despite whatever their EULA says.

A few games maintain access outside of Steam as listed above, and sites like greenmangaming, gog.com, and gamefly are places where you can get games not running solely on Steam.

5. Falcon

Falcon Registered

Thanks for the responses guys!

Now I changed my mind about purchasing AC in the future. I would love it if Tim could answer my question, I am really interested in rFactor 2 and a confirmation will make me not hesitate to buy it. I also wounder if there is a way where they could not verify my account till after the second Friday of December because I have finals and I will not be able to play it(I want to get that refund period too). It is not a must since I will buy it anyway (I can't resist the 20% price reduction) but if they could I will really appreciate it.

Thanks.

6. Freddy3792

Freddy3792 Registered

Have you tried the demo? If so dont worry about the refund just get the 20% off.

7. Falcon

Falcon Registered

I tried it and I liked it. Now that is off the list , I'm still waiting for Tim's confirmation on the steam situation.

Thanks.

8. ErnieDaOage

ErnieDaOage Registered

In my expierence with steam (i got it since valve created it back in the day for their own title halflife) if you buy a game through steam, which uses the whole steam server system and everything else you need to be logged in to play the game. But with a lot of games out there which doesn't use their server system or already got their own launchers and lobbies you can run the game even without starting up steam. For example i need steam to run all my valve games and some others i purchased through steam. But i don't need to fire it up if i wanna play the old IL2-Sturmovik, i don't need it for Rise of Flight. The only problem you get is with games like rof is that you are forced to use the steam dlcs if you purchased it through steam. You cannot go to the RoF shop and just buy 2 extra planes you wanna have, because you purchased it through steam and you are bound to buy your extra content there. Also Arma 2 worked the last years completly without steam even i purchased it through steam with all of its dlcs. The only thing i recommend is that you run it the first time through steam, because for the arma 2 dlcs (british armed forces and private military company) you had to start both dlcs the first time through steam so that some files get moved and after that everything worked just fine without it. And some things like ms redist packages, direct x and other stuff comes the first time you run the game through steam. The biggest problem is for me that its like described above, if you get banned for what reason ever you loose ALL YOUR GAMES. If you have invested 5000$ to 100 games they are just gone. And its the biggest platform for PC-online gaming coming up with their own OS and hardware for everybody in the near future, so that everybody can play in their living rooms in front of the TV.

9. Falcon

Falcon Registered

Still no response, I am still waiting though.

10. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

At this point I'm not aware of any Steam exclusivity plan. I think it'd be a shame to cut off people who DON'T use it. Although it is complex to manage your own purchases, not sure we'd want to waste that work.

11. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

In my experience, every game with offline capability could be played entirely offline on Steam. You put steam in offline mode. Simple. :)

I've never really heard a story of people losing their library that I believed their story. :) I use Steam, I share my library (via the family option) with everyone in my family, and they share theirs with me. Never had an issue, but that does - yes - mean I've never had to deal with Steam support. I'm also not sure I believe any hacking stories, phishing or simply being stupid enough to share your account intentionally or otherwise? That I can believe, and I think often that's why that really happened.

12. Eddy

Eddy Registered

13. tjc

tjc Registered

Tim Wheatley @timwheatley1979 - 3h

I added a video to a @YouTube playlist youtu.be/BfAcyQMRGnU?a nvidia GTX 770 to 970 comparison rFactor 2 raw footage

---

Nice video comaprison for those thinking of upgrading.

Quite a difference in fps between the two cards...

14. Ari Antero

Ari Antero Registered

Dota in Steam has had lot of problems with hijackers, some get message from steam friends with link and when you klick that link you account is hijacked.

15. K Szczech

K Szczech Registered

I bought a Steam based game once. It said it needed internet to activate. I had mobile internet, which should suffice for activation.

The problem is - once activated, the game required a 2 GB update. Even going to offline mode and cancelling the update didn't help. Trying to launch the game resulted in message saying that I need to update and I should go to online mode.
    Downloading 2 GB of data was next to impossible with mobile internet - usually connection got disrupted for a moment and Steam was unable to resume download. Instead download was restarted from beginning.
    I've looked for patches that I could download individually, but it seems that update was only available through Steam.

So, no way of updating the game outside Steam, no way of launching it outside Steam, no way of launching it without update, no way of updating it without broadband connection.

Perhaps it's up to developer do decide if his game is allowed to run on steam without being updated to latest version. But if updates are required, then games may become unavailable to people using mobile connections due to that download restart issue in steam.

In general, I don't mind steam. But developers should be aware that this platform is not properly available to everyone.

16. matf1

matf1 Registered

No, but 100 million users.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

17. Prodigy

Prodigy Registered

There's a known saying people telling to their kids: "Don't take candy from the strangers!"

18. K Szczech

K Szczech Registered

I am one of those users and I'm having this issue with Steam. If I wasn't one of Steam users I wouldn't be having this issue :)

19. Esteve Rueda

Esteve Rueda Registered

I had 0 problems in all my time in Steam, no problems in market, no problems with updates, no problems with offline, no problems sharing with my "family" PC, no problems with hacks, no problem with purchases... and I don't know any friend who had problems with It.

I know there is some account hacks, but guys... like in every place of the internet. Maybe Steam has not the best support in the world, but It works for now and is the biggest platform now. Should improve? of course, but I only see adventages.

20. Guimengo

Guimengo Guest

That's not an argument. 100 million registered accounts. I have three, for example. Playstation Network had over 77 million (I had 8 from different areas of the world for access to different games). So? 100 million accounts, many from the same person, many inactive without a single game. So? It grew exponentially due to the large swing towards digital releases, it is much easier to release on established platforms like Origin and Steam, why develop your own installer and release? One number doesn't remain absolute over all other figures and arguments.