I want to manually start my engine all the time!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Tom Endres, Jul 22, 2012.

1. blakboks

blakboks Registered

No, they don't. They no longer have traction control or ABS. I believe they don't even have launch control anymore--I remember hearing some descriptions of the starting procedure, and I think they even have 2 clutches to deal with--via paddles on the steering wheel, too.

2. Tuttle

Tuttle Technical Art Director - Env Lead

ABS and TC has been banned.

Starting procedures are actually using specific clutch operations and a dedicated engine program for the first gearing sequence.

3. jtbo

jtbo Registered

Wouldn't this be modder's job? I mean if modder could set what are allowed in sim mode, then rest options would be inaccessible for driver, but in casual mode all would be free to use?

Oh yes, one needs casual and simmer modes for that :p

4. Gearjammer

Gearjammer Registered

OK, read up on the current FIA rules and you are correct for the most part blakboks. The exception is the multiple clutches. Only cars equiped with KERS have the multiple clutch setup though I have not read the technical specs to see how this works exactly. From what I did read though, both clutches are required to function exactly the same. I am guessing this means that there can be no assists for the clutch and no stop points partway through the travel, but I could be wrong.

It was an interesting read though looking through the FIA regs to see what they are and aren't allowed to do now a days with regard to clutch, brakes etc.

5. Gearjammer

Gearjammer Registered

@jtbo: The place where I normally race requires that all assists be off regardless of the standard FIA rules or what ever other sanctioning body might be involved. If we wanted to run a race with exactly what was available to the real drivers, the person putting on the event would have to see what was allowed and then configure the server if it were possible to allow specific aids. From what I have seen in most sims though, you can't say that one aid is allowed and one is not, it is either all on or all off for what the driver can choose.

For this reason we elect to disable the aids so we don't have to find a way to police our drivers to be sure no one is cheating by running aids that are not allowed.

6. Alesi

Alesi Registered

"I want to manually start my engine all the time" maybe this should be in Wish list? (also good idea, why not. just make such option, that we can choose how to start our engines)

7. jtbo

jtbo Registered

I would think that with possibility to limit aids in mod by modder that could be solved nicely as mod is about certain series and if there would be simmer and casual modes, server could be set to simmer mode, which would only allow aids those that are set in mod.

Modders might of course utilize current penalty system to set those aids not worthy to use, but then all drivers should know what are possible to use without penalty or there would be lot of crying.

Solvable, but requires that modder has made the effort.

I should look more to penalty system actually, can't remember what it made possible, like for example if I could punish from using manual gears in Lincoln, which never got manual gears.

8. Tom Endres

Tom Endres Registered

Woah, some great feedback - much appreciated. I expected people to laugh at me. :)

9. ZeosPantera

ZeosPantera Registered

The whole starting process would need to be simulated. I hate the current rF1 and rF2 33ms button press to turn over a honkin old formula car. You should have to hold it down and while you are doing so the sound is generated so if you let go.. BONG... nothing. You have to hold down and pump the pedal to start a carburetor car.

I leave carburetor simulation to another post.

10. jtbo

jtbo Registered

1981 carburettor car, pump pedal twice, turn key just to visit start position and motor is running and ready to go. Now choke is of course needed, that would need own controller though and effect of choke is going to be something that people used to fuel injection will say impossible to use.

Carb car without choke is again another thing, mixture need to be enriched by accelerator pump what indeed means that you have to pump pedal, not give too much air or engine will stop, not too little or engine will stop, try to drive too early and engine will stop, pump to much and you can flood plugs and then starting becomes battery test or then remove the plugs, dry them, put them back and try again, or if bad plugs, then need to replace dead ones.

It might be bit too much for modern era kids to take for sure ;)

11. banzai

banzai Registered

+1 Replacing any moment where the simulation automatically starts the car for you with a controller button or key stroke would be awesome. Having to put the car in neutral and wait a couple seconds for it to start itself isn't much fun. It's actually frustrating to put the car in neutral, wait for the start, and then it doesn't happen; you are left wondering if you haven't placed it in neutral, if not enough time has passed for it to start, or if the engine is damaged and can't be restarted. Of course we don't want to clutter the UI with confusing settings, but a simple checkbox for "Automatically start engine" would sure be nice.

12. osella

osella Registered

Not sure if you know that, but many open wheelers in rf1 have this feature so I'm sure it is in rf2 as well, however people can always just activate auto clutch and stalling is impossible.

13. jtbo

jtbo Registered

I know engine.ini option for starter, but haven't really used much open wheelers, only rF2 open wheelers seem to be something enjoyable to drive, before those have been spinning machines for me, with exception of Niels made 76 F1 cars that were quite nice.

I think that auto clutch should not be possible to choose if car originally did not have it, that is in simmer mode, but of course we don't yet have different modes. Maybe mod could be made with two versions, one to allow aids and other that punishes a lot from aids not usable in real vehicle, it would not be very pretty solution, but it would be workaround, just set so high penalty to using aids that are not allowed that it will spoil the race from those that use such aid.

There will be however lot of problems, like lot of versions from single mod, also issues when one should use aids to be more realistic, etc.

If car has no starter, I think that it should be possible to re-start only at pit box or very near of it, that would require also some code. Maybe bump starting if at hill, I remember doing that in rF1 sometimes, also in rF2, starter button was far and car was moving so it was easier to bump start.

No automatic starting and no starter, might call for sportsmanship and others might use their vehicles to push unlucky racer's car so he can bump start it :D

14. blakboks

blakboks Registered

Unfortunately, this is only possible/enforceable if everyone has G25 or better wheel/pedal sets. Some people only have 2 pedals, but have sequential shifter, so therefore HAVE to have 'auto clutch' enabled. However, they may want all of the rest of the features from your suggested 'sim' mode.

Both of these are already possible in rF2.

15. osella

osella Registered

Yeah you can't disallow auto clutch for all people, unless ISI would implement feature that would enable/disable it depending on your hardware ID.
    Now, that would be actually very neat function, that autoclutch on those cars that didn't have it would not be possible to allow IF you have clutch pedal.
    But I'm 90% sure ISI already said that they don't want any wheel specific options (or at least not show them in multiplayer games, will never know what gamer uses what wheel).

Making 2 mods of the same cars with different rules is unusably ugly, only option is to make it through upgrades but then ppl just switch whatever has no disadvantage.
    Take a look at historx. You should only use zero shift timings if you shift manually, but all people select it even on 2 wheel systems. :eek:

16. Sean_S36

Sean_S36 Registered

17. argo0

argo0 Registered

ISI, please pay attention to this issue. We can't carry on with simulators having such ridiculous omissions. Its 2012 for crying out loud, we're not using ZX Spectrums, and to be achieving as much as you are with the dynamic conditions but still leave us unable to start the car properly is a joke.

I should add that my frustration with this sort of rubbish is caused as much by my lack of understanding of coding and game development as it is by the pathetic lack of this essential feature.

18. mikeyk1985

mikeyk1985 Registered

Please please tell me your being sarcastic? lol

19. 1959nikos

1959nikos Registered

If you pump the pedal, you ll flood the carbs and you are not going to start.
    Then, if carbs are flooded, you hold down pedal to the floor and without moving it, you press starter and leave it pressed till you start (if you are lucky).
    Normal procedure is turn ignition on, let normal quantity of fuel get to the carbs and then with one movement, press throttle and start engine.

Thats what I remember anyway.

20. argo0

argo0 Registered

No. ISI are a very talented team breaking new ground with this software. Yet we can't even start the cars how they would be started. As soon as you leave the garage screen and enter the car, you're reminded that such basic things are overlooked. Immersion breakers. This sort of issue seems to me to be such an unnecessary flaw.