FIA Formula 2 coming up? Hoover spilled the beans :)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by buddhatree, Jul 20, 2012.

1. 1959nikos

1959nikos Registered

Ill do what I can LOL

2. Ryno917

Ryno917 Registered

3. Tuttle

Tuttle Technical Art Director - Env Lead

Hmmm...This car get much more power than a Formula 3..I guess around 510CV vs 200/250 of a modern F3 serie. :)

4. Ryno917

Ryno917 Registered

Dang, really THAT much faster? Might be too much for me to handle, then. :(

5. Tuttle

Tuttle Technical Art Director - Env Lead

Yeah. They're pretty fast.. more similar to the formula Renault in terms of performances.

6. osella

osella Registered

7. buddhatree

buddhatree Registered

8. GauchoRS

GauchoRS Registered

As mentioned in wikipaedia the cars have a "push-to-pass" option (10 times during race) by aumenting power ...

so, for me this will be the most important feature to be implemented in rF2, woun´´t ???

9. Gearjammer

Gearjammer Registered

Push button, 10 seconds of increased power..... hmmm, this could be fun :)

10. IrDa

IrDa Registered

1 person likes this.
  11. kkacper

kkacper Registered

I have great hopes for this little car :) I hate the series IRL because there is just NO WAY to overtake, even with the push to pass.

For me though the most anticipated thing that has been mentioned here is the real turbo simulation, maybe finally we can feel what it really means to have a massive turbo lag :)

12. 1959nikos

1959nikos Registered

Vvvvvzoomm...fshhhhh...

13. baked bean

baked bean Registered

ISI are now testing this mod on there test sever, not long now maybe :D

Doh, just seen post above

14. willpinataman

willpinataman Registered

In addition to the ISI server there is also one called "scream theatre" which has the get mod button. Anyone know what it is?

EDIT
    Server has now disappeared :( Guess ISI don't want us playing this just yet.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 26, 2012
  15. jubuttib

jubuttib Registered

I really do hope that the turbo simulation won't be handled quite in depth as Ball Bearing Turbo's explanation was (thanks for that dude, immensely fascinating reading!), for the simple reason that the tyres are already heading towards a direction where even if they're possibly more accurate than anything before, they're also very, very hard to mod compared to the old system. It's very rare to get any really specific info on the turbos cars are equipped with, often pretty much then only thing you get from an engine that relates to modding is the power curve, so doing a turbo car realistically would become immensely difficult if you need to design the darn thing yourself to a huge extent.

Something a bit more barebones that replicates the most glaring effects of turbos while still being modder friendly would be preferable in comparison.

I would indeed like a sim that really modeled everything, from work cycles to chassis flex that's calculated from the structure of the car etc., but that'd require modders to become real automotive engineers, and that's just too much for too little gain.

1 person likes this.
  16. Marek Lesniak

Marek Lesniak Car Team Staff Member

I kindly disagree with you :p
    Current tyre model isn't that difficult. Modders just need time to learn more about tyres (isn't that fascinating, to learn something new?). That's all. I see the same with turbo implementation. For me, it's just another thing I will probably have to learn more about, in order to recreate turbo engines properly.

17. osella

osella Registered

I agree with jubuttib.
    LesiU - so have you actually tried to do your own tyres and achieved the results you wanted?
    I haven't tried it myself yet but I heard it's really Very complicated. It sounds to me like you think all modders need to do is read some 2 page article on tyres and voila, they mastered the tyre model. It's not like that.
    And so I think that most modders will just copy existing tires on cars that don't have them in real life because they don't want to spend so much time on it

18. Marek Lesniak

Marek Lesniak Car Team Staff Member

OK, you heard.... and I heard, this year it will be the end of the world. I also heard Elvis Presley is not dead (yet ;-) ). I also heard, red is the fastest color and WWF is in fact a true wrestling without acting... you get the point :)
    I work on physics parameters of ISI engine long enough, to not need to "hear what others say" to have an opinion.

I already read hundreads of pages about tyres and tyre models and I still feel it's not enough for me, so... but as I already said, I don't mind gaining more knowledge. Whatever is neccesary, to get it done right.

Maybe that's the difference, because I spend as much time as it's required to get the desired effect (or as close as possible, within physics simulation limitations). Whether that'd be a month or full year of work - it doesn't matter for me. As long as it is neccesary and I'm happy with that.

Maybe you should ask yourself a question - what do you want to achieve? Do you really want to get it done right (and then call your work beeing something actually related to the real thing) or just have it to be, whatever you ended up with and pretend calling it realistic? ;-)

19. osella

osella Registered

Right now I admit that I would rather have simpler system that allows 1000 modders to make 1000 85% realistic cars, than a complex system requiring deep knowledge that will only allow 10 modders (like you) to make 10 95% realistic cars and the remaining 990 just half realistic or copied from other mods.

I should have stated in previous post that I heard that from Niels, which is enough for me. From most modders (like me) I would not take this in account but from Niels I do. If he find it complicated, there will only be handful of modders that take advantage of this and the rest will achieve worse results than they could with simpler system ala rf1.

But it's a really really delicate subject, because at the same time I realize that if we don't move forward we'll be stuck with the same level of realism for 10 more years which doesn't sound good or logical.

Also in the end it's the same as with everything, to do something better than base level the effort needed grows exponentially.

20. Ball Bearing Turbo

Ball Bearing Turbo Registered

Interesting discussion.

The thing about having to "mod tires" for cars (IE I always wondering what's really going on at iRacing when they "adjust the tires on a car") speaks to me that the premise is still not correct IMO. I'm not sure on the ins and outs of ISI's approach in RF2, but I know it's still fundamentally a "spreadsheet sim" although the values that go into it have an extremely high resolution and are still birthed out of a physical simulation; so the lookup table isn't nearly as limited as other applications of this. It seems to be as good or maybe even better than the realtime physical models available (LFS and NKP) from what I can tell.

Where I'm going with this is that it would be great, in the future, to have "tire sets" available so that not every mod creator has to get more in-depth with tires than they're comfortable. There's a wide range of tires around obviously, but I really think something is wrong with any sim approach if the tire model is somehow "built in" to the physics of the car. The tire code should, intrinsically, impose forces on the chassis of the car and vice versa. Those pieces of code should be simply (or not so simply as it were) communicating constantly. I'm pretty sure this is how LFS for example is designed since the general physics and the tire physics run at different frequencies in that sim (the tire loop runs more iterations/second).

I know nothing about RF2 modding and am pretty new to RF2 in general so I don't know if this is even possible with ISI's engine. But the rest of vehicular physics are rather elementary if the tires are accurate in how they behave. All you really need is a lot of data/dimensions for suspension parts, damping rates, masses etc. (which can be hard enough to get or figure out)

Likewise, if an accurate turbocharger model was created (let's hope!) then you should be able to recreate it using fairly common specifications that people use when figuring out which turbocharger to use for their application, or at least get believably close. Part of this whole discussion relies very heavily on the modding tools provided though, which ISI is hopefully going to be committed to.