New player, Beta concerns and thoughts

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Boxorman8, May 2, 2012.

1. Boxorman8

Boxorman8 Registered

Hello fellow racers, I am relatively new to this scene so please excuse me if I say something stupid I won't take offense.

My name is Nick and I'm learning to race primarily in rfactor2 megane trophy mod, I'm enjoying the 3 tracks available but I'd like more, I understand it's a beta ofcourse so I wont stress it at this point.
    I'd like to ask you guys some questions about tracks and cars tho, is there any interest in fictional tracks and cars? I understand this is a SIMULATOR, but I think sometimes you guys can take it to far by trying to model everything from the IRL world into the simulator.

Fictional tracks I think are a must for a game like this, because you can create tracks in the editor far more easily than it is to make one in real life they are bound to be more intresting and challenging for us I think.
    What do you guys think ? is this bull**** and you'd rather just play on real racetracks because you enjoy watching "real" races on tv and comparing your times and racing lines and such ? I'd understand if that was the case, I however don't watch any racing on tv so ALL the tracks are brand spanking new to me.

As long as I'm on the topics on tracks; you know in cockpit view in the Megane atleast you can see a tiny handdrawn map layout on the left hand side of the car, It's barely visible and for me unusable in game, I suspect it's there to look authentic (I would have a track map in my car if I were a racer for sure).
    Is there any way to make this bigger/easier to read? My biggest problem is not knowing the track layouts and a map layout similair to that in different albeit more arcade games such as need for speed or Drift.

If the answer is a straight up no, I'll live with that, I enjoy the fact that most people here are hardcore in the way that you want to make it harder for yourself as opposed to tweaking the game to make it easier for you like most other gamers would just for the increase in win%, you guys seem to enjoy the racing more so than the victory.

I race with a DFGT with the pedals, and liking it but my sequential gearbox doesn't want to work anymore in rfactor2, I have no clue as to why.. maybe you guys can help me?
    First time I installed the game the gearbox worked like a charm (it's +/- gearbox, think it's called sequential, please correct me if Im wrong) but ever since I installed the GT endurance mod and some other tracks it lost it's bind ingame and is unresponsive when I try and rebind it, it's frustrating because when I first bought my wheel I'd use the paddleshifters for some reason, but once I bought rfactor and started racing those antique cars I felt like a right fool for using paddleshifters, so I shifted and started learning the gearbox instead, which is much more fun I think.
    Any thoughts as to why it would stop working like this ? I have confirmed it still works in drift3 so I'm at a loss, I've tried reinstalling, updating LT profiler, starting rfactor2 after I plugged in dfgt etc etc, I realize it's a beta so it might just be some random bug or temp thing that will be ironed out, but I can't race historic cars until it's fixed because I refuse to paddleshift in a 1960's car!

Wishlist for modders: some kind of actual road racing in road cars would be awsome, doesn't even have to be a real road or anything.
    It's just that all the mods I've got working in this game are either formula 1-3 cars or super suped megane that sounds NOTHING like my mothers Megane I'll say that right here ..and that wing doesn't look stock :D
    Just sayin, I enjoy the cars they are well done, but some variation would be nice, maybe not always just hardcore racing machines that don't flip over if you touch grass.

Thnx for climbing my wall of text :)

Lastly I'd just like to say thanks for a great game and even awsome:er modders !

2. Spyder

Spyder Registered

You need to get into the habit of using visual cues around tracks to set your braking markers as a driver would in real life, you don't want to be staring at a mini map wondering whether the next bend is a left or right hander when you're scrambling for position with 20 other drivers online! It honestly won't take you that long to learn a circuits layout without a map, and you'll end up being faster without it.

As for non-fictional tracks I think that comes down to personal preference. I for one have no interest have no interest in them as Im looking for a realistic racing experience but I'm sure some modders will create some :)

Glad you're enjoying RF2 so far, the learning curve may seem a little steep if you've come from arcade style racers but in the end I think you'll find a more satisfying race experience once you've adjusted. iRacing is also worth giving a try, they normally have a 3 month for the price of one offer on and it'd give you some good "sim" experience with other rookie drivers in their lower classes.

3. Boxorman8

Boxorman8 Registered

Hi Spyder, yepp I have been trying to use visual ques, it's just hard but I think you're right, sometimes it just gets confusing because you can drive what looks like the same map but it's a different track just going around it a different way, that's when it gets me.
    Like I'll remember this corner I'm approaching but the visual quees will be different for the same corner.. I'll prob just get used to it ... but I havent really done any real racing ever, I played some trackmania a few years back with keyboard...it wasn't really racing tho, it was avoiding objects at insane speeds.

4. fastfezzer

fastfezzer Registered

If you never watch TV or go to watch race events then all tracks are fictional to you surely?

5. Spyder

Spyder Registered

Unfamiliar is the word you're looking for, that was a failed attempt at being a smart arse. I downloaded a tonne of tracks on RF1 I'd never seen before, didn't mean they were fictional.

Last edited by a moderator: May 2, 2012
  6. PLAYLIFE

PLAYLIFE Registered

Regarding fictional tracks:
    The term ''truth is stranger than fiction'' comes to mind. Unless your imagination can encompass every circuit in the world, I think you'll be pleasantly surprised and interested in how many different real circuits exist.

I think the fact that they're real circuit gives you a higher appreciation of the sport we all obviously love.

7. ROON

ROON Registered

Many real race cars have a track map stuck to the cockpit somewhere, it's primarily there to familiarise drivers with the corner numbers so they're on the same page with their race engineer. You don't want your engineer sitting on the pit wall thinking "what the hell" after you've radioed in saying "you know that corner after the bit where you go up the hill and past that tree? Yeah I have some understeer there". ;) The drivers already know the layout, the map is just a reference.

Regarding fictional VS real circuits, I enjoy both but greatly favour real circuits over 'fantasy' ones. I am a motorsport fan and I do enjoy driving the real circuits I see on TV. I also enjoy learning circuits I'm not familiar with, but know are real - Brno for example. That said, there's no reason why I can't enjoy a good, well planned fictional track.

8. Boxorman8

Boxorman8 Registered

Yes, what I meant was tracks made up my a modder rather than a modder trying to adapt a track from real life to rfactor2.

I just meant that we have much more flexability when creating tracks in software compared to real life and you don't have to worry about real people or destroying cars and roads/cities, you can make a bit more crazy tracks when you don't have to consider those things I think.
    Yes this might encroach on the simulator aspect of the game, but some people DO race on real roads with road legal cars, can't we simulate that in a mod?

Also I'd love some hatchbacks in the game, is anybody racing those? I have no clue but I would very much enjoy a hatchback race, maybe early hatchbacks also like the old VW GOLF GTI, my personal favorite car to drive in real life.

I'm asking a lot at the moment i know:<

Should I go back and look at rfactor1 for what might be to come in terms of mods for rFactor2 ?

Personally I have no intrest at all in formula racing cars except the old ones. I don't like F1 racing, infact I somewhat despise it..nothing seems to happen and they have reached a point in the tech of the cars that they are insanely good cars now so that they even have to cripple them and ban certain aids because otherwise it would just be to easy to drive, that's no fun!

Also like to see GT cars like DB9s, 911's and so on, I did see one fellow release a lambo mod but I couldn't get it to work unfortunately and also the cars kinda looked like poop to be honest, atleast from the screenshots I saw but I'm sure he'll clear that up, I guess if you model a car the first thing you try n get right is the physics and then worry about cosmetics, I approve of this method 100%.

9. Boxorman8

Boxorman8 Registered

@ Playlife that was a brilliant movie by the way "stranger than fiction" :D)

I guess it's my prejudice against real life racing that's made me want fictional tracks, I sure as hell don't know the layout of any real life track. I think it'll be alright.

@ ROON
    haha that's probably true what you are saying about the cockpit map, I guess most of my questions and thoughts could be answered by "Learn to play" :]

I suspected you guys were mostly irl racing fans also. So now I am expecting some great tracks to come out for me to learn.
    I guess the upside about learning "real" tracks as opposed to fantasy/fictional tracks are that the track knowledge I gain will transfer over to other games that use the same maps, something I just now realized as I type.

Thnx for the help guys, any thoughts on my issues with the gearbox for my DFGT? it's really annoying because I can still race using my paddles, but it's not as much fun or as authentic.

10. fastfezzer

fastfezzer Registered

Wind your neck in. :) My post wasn't trying to be anything. All tracks are fictional to someone who's never driven them. There are plenty of fictional tracks for rF1, so the same applies here, my point is there will be no difference for the OP.

11. Gaz Mclean

Gaz Mclean Registered

dont worry about the tracks not being challenging enough mate, any track can be as challenging as you want when your pushing at your absolute limit just to try gain a 100th of a second. If you like road courses just wait for the nordchleife lol, 13 miles and 170 corners, they call it the green hell. check out some vids of it. you will prob have to wait awhile till it is released here tho.

12. Spyder

Spyder Registered

@Boxorman : I guess it depends on what you define as "crazy" in a track, for me the corkscrew at Laguna and Eau Rouge are crazy enough as real life examples. Perhapsif you're not particular interested in real life circuit racing then RF2 may not turn out to be the best virtual racing experience for you... Probably worth you getting hold of RF1 or at least checking out the mods available on Rfactorcentral to see what you can expect from this sim in the future.

As for the DFGT, have you tried reassigning the controls in the menu? If I have to choose between using paddles or a sequential shifter with my fanatecs, I can't have them both assigned at the same time.

13. Spyder

Spyder Registered

The definition of fictional is the information or events are not factual, so your statement made no sense and was of no use to a new member who asked politely for help.

14. ROON

ROON Registered

The track is still real, whether you're familiar with it or not. Fictional is not the word you're looking for.

15. MaXyM

MaXyM Registered

Don't forget that sometimes (or maybe in most cases) only name is real. Tracks are merely similar in turn direction only. Most tracks I've seen for rF has wrong modelled turns, elevations, environment. It makes them to be fantasy ;)

16. Spyder

Spyder Registered

Christ, what's wrong with people this morning!! Doesn't make the fantasy, it makes them inaccurate representations of a real track.

17. Johannes Rojola

Johannes Rojola Registered

I like all sorts of tracks, but mostly real open road "tracks" because I am more driver than racer gamer. But I definitely appreciate true locations over total fantasy, because they have connection to reality and most of the time fantasy tracks feel too arcade. Too wide roads, banked turns, huge crests and all sorts of other anomalies.

18. Marek Lesniak

Marek Lesniak Car Team Staff Member

I think it's more about personal interpretation of what is still "inaccurate" and what's already a fantasy.
    For me, inaccurate is like author's own interpretation, which is sort of a fantasy, isn't it? ;-)

19. MaXyM

MaXyM Registered

Try to define difference between fantasy and inaccurate ;) is it 1cm off or 10 meters? or maybe only name does matter.

20. Boxorman8

Boxorman8 Registered

Maybe there are more challenging maps ! like I said I have no clue, I'll check that map out on youtube and Im sure it's difficult
    thnx!

edit: I checked out nordchleife on youtube, also nurburgring which I have heard of many times ofcourse. They look really fun to ride, also very long which is cool. I'd rather drive fewer laps on a long track than many laps on a short track, that's just me tho.

@ Spyder, regarding the DFGT, yes I have tried to assign them ingame, I have tried everything I can think off, I even reinstalled rF2 + all mods, which took a while, zero result :(

A shame you can't bind both paddles n stick, sometimes it's nice to use both, I do that in Dirt3 every now and then. Do most racers in real life use paddles?
    I'm pretty sure F1 drivers use paddlles, I've seen some incar footage and they never let the wheel go, and I don't blame them.

What about GT cars? I watched a guy go around nordchleife in a BMW and he used the stick. Looks more badass if you ask me :)

Last edited by a moderator: May 2, 2012