Using ISI texture maps

Discussion in 'Track Modding' started by blakboks, Apr 1, 2012.

1. blakboks

blakboks Registered

So, what's the official word on using ISI's texture maps in our own tracks?

It seems to be somewhat commonplace for people to "re-appropriate" them into their own tracks...

Ideally, I'd love unique textures for every object on all my tracks that I may do (thus not having to re-use ISI's or anyone else's). However, the reality of track-making is that you re-use things when and where you can. Personally, if I ever even release a track, my hope is to only use the ISI textures as "place-holders" until I can create ones of my own.

So, if it's cool to use them, (since many textures WERE released in the Joesville example track) I assume that we should be offering credit somehow. Should that be done on the loading screen in a very basic manner (i.e. "Some textures from ISI")? Should it be on the download site (assuming we make a webpage for distribution)? Should it be itemized? (i.e. "The painted lines, grass mult map, and cement wall textures are courtesy/copyright ISI")

2. Luc Van Camp

Luc Van Camp Track Team Staff Member

As far as I know, there is no official word. Each track is unique, and the textures are a good way of showing that uniqueness. That's why I'm a fan of tracks that come with a complete set of new textures. If you have the time/patience to create new maps, then I highly recommend doing that. There's nothing we can do to prevent you from using ISI textures though. I suppose you could call them part of the rF2 framework modders can build on ...

3. Uzzi

Uzzi Registered

Ive never ran into any problems releasing tracks with ISI textures in them for rF1. I still haven't figured out a way to make a good grass mult map myself, hehe. I do like to make my own stuff where ever I can, since its really hard to find the perfect textures Im looking for, using the ISI texture library. They are all very special; take the Toban texture set for example, its road textures look like the road hasn't been worked on in 20 years...

I think for beginners its a good idea to use per-existing textures while figuring out how to map correctly, then make your own once you get that down and you know how you want the track to look.

When I start a track design I always use per-existing textures and make new ones once I get a clear vision for the track.

4. K Szczech

K Szczech Registered

I guess so :) Tracks become part of the product in a way.

A different situation would be when that track would also be released for Race07 or any game made by another company. I don't think that would be a fair use.

Sure thing, but sometimes it doesn't make too much sense to create unique txtures for everytyhing. How many different looking armco barriers, tyre walls or sandtraps can we create? :)

5. Luc Van Camp

Luc Van Camp Track Team Staff Member

Indeed. When you build a set of similar tracks, you'll want to use common base textures and apply a bit of uniqueness. In the end you'll end up with a nice library of reusable elements.
    Historic tracks are somewhat different though, as there was far less standardization, so each track did have subtly different armco, curb structures, sand type, ... that's been a useful lesson I've learned when I went through the reference material for Belgium and Monte-Carlo :) .

6. ethone

ethone Registered

Armco, tyre walls and sand traps are actually ones where you can differentiate between tracks. ;)
    There's other stuff though like the glows or the lights texture where there is little difference.
    I have only now created a new lights texture for the first time since I saw some tracks moved from traditional lights to LED lights.

7. K Szczech

K Szczech Registered

I'd rather say it's terrain, road textures and buildings :)