rFactor3 on Windows 8/9 128Bit?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Mitt Wilson, Feb 11, 2012.

1. Mitt Wilson

Mitt Wilson Registered

I hear what your saying But the first house was built near 10 years ago,, Maybe if Rfactor will stay active with platform updates and not disappear off the face of the Earth like they did with RF1 then that 2nd House could be developed.
    Thank You CDN for actually thinking before you typed here! :D

2. Heretic_NZ

Heretic_NZ Registered

Good points

Since we have (in perspective) only a small percentage of truely 64bit apps to compared to 32bit apps wittern for windows systems it seems more than a few years too truely get the most out of the 64bit OS. Same can be said for rfactor 2 remember this is still a beta and (Think I seen it in a post) will be released in 64bit (probably) the need for rf3 in 128bit seems years away maybe decades. Who actually knows what rf2 is actually capable of, as mods will take years to actually bring out the true potential of the rf2 game engine.

I hope for one that ISI will fully finish rf2 before contemplating rf3.

3. Mitt Wilson

Mitt Wilson Registered

I agree!
    Windows has been working on Windows 9 128bit platform since mid 2010,,But yeah timeframe wont equal.

4. Mitt Wilson

Mitt Wilson Registered

Good Post! I think at the rate Windows is going to release OS they will bring them out every 3-4 years so with that being said 128bit Windows 9 would be released in 2016 since Windows 8 @x86/64 will be release in the coming months!

5. furiousgibbon

furiousgibbon Registered

it might do you some good to go and read what '128bit' actually means. Aside from the ability to address more memory, very few apps outside of enterprise environments make good use of 64bit architecture; I really don't see what doubling the register size will do for any of us in the near future.

by the way, Microsoft is the company, Windows is the product. Windows does not release Windows.

6. Vince Klortho

Vince Klortho Registered

A 128-bit version of windows would be useless without a 128-bit CPU to run it on and I have not read of anyone designing one. Largely because there is no need for one. With a 64-bit processor the address space in 64-bit windows is 43-bits wide (for a limit of 8TB) so there is plenty of room for growth within the limits of a 64-bit CPU. As for data, both integer and floating point 64-bit values have a very large dynamic range (limit of 1.8E308 for floating point values, 1.8E19 for integer values) so no extensions are needed for the vast majority of present-day applications. Some scientific apps use 80-bit floating point but not very many. So few that microsoft dropped support for the 80-bit data type in their C++ compiler a long time ago.

The bottom line is there is still quite a ways to go before the limits of 64-bit CPUs and OSs are reached which means the need for a 128-bit processor and OS is even farther out.

To answer your original question, no, we can't. A 64-bit version would make a lot of people very happy though.

7. Christian Rosén

Christian Rosén Registered

So what kind of answers do you expect? And how would any answer given to you help you in any way?

How can you upgrade your hardware today with parts that isnt even made yet for an OS that is MANY years ahead, and probably isnt going to be of any use for homeusers (not in any forseen future anyway)?

And you need hints about all this for a future version of a racesim thats in a betastage today??

Eeeeeeuuuuuuumhhh, i dunno what to say except:
    If there was awards for stupid questions made on forums this one would sweep the competition.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 12, 2012
  8. MarcG

MarcG Registered

will RF4 use a 256-bit OS?

9. Guineapiggy

Guineapiggy Registered

Okay, uncalled for, and I fail to understand how a stupid post removes someone from the genepool.

10. steve30x

steve30x Registered

So it will be necesary to buy a 128bit OS when its released? Is it necesary to buy 64 buit windows 7 now?

As for your question. I doubt it> WE arent even getting a 64 bit rFactor 2 so I cant see us getting a 128bit version if such an OS ever gets released. M$ havent said anything about windows 8 or 9 being 128 bit. Its all rumours and speculation.

I would love to know where you got that info from Thats like saying 64bit windows 7 is massively faster than 32bit windows 7.

11. SmokinJo65

SmokinJo65 Registered

Close minded people? LOL.. Dude how old are you seriously?

This company needs to FOCUS on rF2 (which is STILL even not out yet) for the next year before even thinking about rF3 because this one has to be done right the first time. Yeah lets totally forget about releasing rF2 and just move onto rF3. I don't like getting into heating debates but man you sure are (NOT SMART)

You want to be one of those hosers that update every time a new graphics card comes out or new processor go ahead but we all know you must be some lawyer or PIMP living in Los Angeles with $200,000 a year income.

12. Mitt Wilson

Mitt Wilson Registered

Wow very impressed Thanks Vince for clearing up a few loose ends for me! I did not know that "64-bit windows is 43-bits wide (for a limit of 8TB)" You have answered my question +1!
    So would DX11/12 Be the only thing missing from RF2 to take it to the limits?

Oh @ SokinJoe65- I have a 2 core duo 2.5GhzPC so your stereotype was well thought out.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 12, 2012
  13. Axeslayer

Axeslayer Registered

Anyone know when the first patch for rFactor 3 will be released ?;)

14. ROON

ROON Registered

Christ almighty, rF2 hasn't even been released yet and already people ask about rF3? With all due respect, if rF2 were to have the same lifespan as rF1 (roughly seven years), any CPU, GPU, RAM and just about any hardware component you buy now will be utter garbage by the time rF3 will be knocking on our doors (circa 2019). Why even ask this question?

15. Doc_

Doc_ Registered

When are we going to see the first update for rf3?????
    You can feel the tension!
    I want it, and I want it NOW!!!!

16. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Anybody know any modders that are skipping rF2 and currently working on rF3 mods? Might aswell start early and prepare for the future, (even though rf2 is still a future product itself lol)

Seriously though to the original poster, most programs today are still written in 32 bit coding. Im no pro when it comes to this stuff but from what I have read ive read that most programs are still natively 32 bit. So 64 bit hasnt really got up and running yet, let alone it being the "norm".

I also read that the amount of info you need to require more than 64bits and go to 128 is so massive that noone will come anywhere even close to needing or benefiting from 128 bit over 64 in a LONG TIME.

17. PorscheMR6

PorscheMR6 Registered

guys, your trolldetector sucks.

18. Axeslayer

Axeslayer Registered

Anyone know if it will support USB 4 wheels ?:)

19. steve30x

steve30x Registered

I heard it will Havd Direct X 1000 and USB 20 support

20. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

Just remember folks: 640k is more memory than you'll ever need.