rFactor 2 Telemetry Plugin

Discussion in 'Other' started by Lazza, Jan 26, 2012.

1. Jamie Shorting

Jamie Shorting Registered

Awesome, thank you. Tire slip% is basically amount of drive wheel spin. :)

2. McFlex

McFlex Registered

I tried to do that with the rF1 Motec plugin but it did not work as supposed. Tire slip should be around 10% but motec showed me about 1%. Maybe rf1 has no tire slip support? Does it work with rf2 with your own math?

3. Jamie Shorting

Hey McFlex. I'm fairly new to motec but am spending some time with it. Anyway, I'm not too sure how to write the equation into the maths. Also I don't know what to put as the "quantity".

The equation for wheel slip% is

Fastest front wheel speed/fastest rear wheel speed X 100

4. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Leave the quantity as "Unitless" (it's the default when you create a new expression) since you're doing a percentage.

Your equation isn't what I might have expected; it will reduce as the rear tyres (or tyre) start to spin up relative to the front. If your aim is to measure rear wheel slip wouldn't you want to go the other way, so it moves above 100% as the rear spins up, or even sits at 0 until they do?

You'll get the hang of using the math expression editor with some practice, being unsure which way the tyres might rotate I put in this basic expression to match your equation but there is at least one major issue:

max(abs('Wheel Rot Speed FL' [rad/s]),abs('Wheel Rot Speed FR' [rad/s])) / max(abs('Wheel Rot Speed RL' [rad/s]),abs('Wheel Rot Speed RR' [rad/s])) * 100

And that issue is that we don't have a measure of the wheel+tyre size, or the actual tread speed. The rotation speed is ok but you need to multiply that angle (in radians) out by your tyre circumference, which in itself isn't an absolute value even if you know its starting point. Just using the rotation speed will obviously only be close if the front and rear tyres have the same diameter.

Even assuming you can derive actual tyre speed data, you would still need to put some additional tests in there to avoid very unusual figures. Locking up both front or both rear tyres will lead to extreme values, for example.

I would say you need to work out exactly what you're looking to represent with the figure/graph. If you want rear wheelspin under power maybe just test for throttle application and then use the existing 'Slide Pct' channels (which are 100% at full grip, 0% at full sliding) for the rear tyres and do it that way.

It sometimes takes a little while to work out how to attack what you're actually trying to get out of it, but keeping in mind the data at hand is important I think.

Finally, try to break up your calculation into multiple expressions. You might only graph the final one but having it broken down into different parts will help troubleshoot your calculations and stop it becoming too large and confusing. Once you have it nailed you can always merge them all into one later if you want.

(rF2 has tyre patch data 'available', but last time I checked which I think was build 382 they were still all just returning zero; otherwise your equation would be much easier to at least get in there)

5. Jamie Shorting

Hey Lazza, I really appreciate the response. You're right as I won't be able to quantify driven wheel speed in km/hr without tire circumference. I think I could use corr.speed as the fastest of the front wheels but for the rear wheels I'd need the tire circumference which changes when under torque anyway!! :)

6. Cheikhou Badji

Cheikhou Badji Registered

hi how do we uninstall the pluging

7. MerlinC

MerlinC Registered

Just delete the files. But why would you do it - it's a great tool and the only way I know to gather Telemetry Data...

Sent with Tapatalk

8. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Yep, it doesn't really install as such. Just delete the files that came out of the .rar when you installed it, most importantly the MotecPlugin.dll in your Plugins folder so it doesn't run.

9. Cheikhou Badji

Cheikhou Badji Registered

never mind i'm going to reinstall it :)

10. MerlinC

MerlinC Registered

Than just copy the files over the old files -;)

Sent with Tapatalk

11. albenstein

albenstein Registered

Hello,
    Can anyone help me with mapping the "(de)activate" key to a G27 wheel button? instead of a key board button. my keyboard is far from my seat and i'd like to not have to move it all the time.
    I've tried using Logitech game launcher, didn't work but maybe i did it wrong.
    I've looked at using Control - Custom Plugin #1="(1, 53)" from controller.ini file, but i'm not sure what to do.

Im probably missing something simple, but its apparently beyond me.

thx

12. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Are you really switching it on and off so often that you need it on your wheel?

The plugin checks the keyboard itself (doesn't rely on or use rF2 at all), I honestly don't know if some sort of button -> key emulation (or even the logitech profiler) will work.

13. KDickie

KDickie Registered

I'm in a similar situation. Not that the keyboard is far away, but it is not as easily accessible. I have a G25 and a Derek Spears Button box for my controls. It's not that I turn Motec on & off that often, but I do need to. I often run Motec to make final adjustments just before qualifying, but don't like it on while qualifying or racing. I guess I'll just have to be more careful to turn it off before going to qualifying.

Lazza, Thanks for your work, this is a great tool.

14. Lazza

Lazza Registered

If it reassures at all I've constantly had logging enabled for all my practice and racing for the past... erm... ~5 years or so, without issue. There is very little CPU load and not much disk writing in relative terms. (stability is the reason I originally wrote my own plugin, otherwise I would have just used the existing one)

I probably wouldn't be inclined to allow for controller buttons etc, but when the time comes for an overhaul I may look into it.

15. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

I think within profiler you can assign a wheel button to perform one or a series of keyboard presses. You can assign a keyboard key to the plugin switch on/off. Later assign that key to one of thw wheel buttons.

enviado mediante tapatalk

16. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Does the motec plugin pick that up? Have you tested with it?

17. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Ok, got 5 mins to test and yes, assigning the keystroke through the Logitech profiler or a simple tool like JoyToKey is picked up fine.

In the profiler,
    • Go to Edit -> Assignments -> Keystrokes...
    • Click New
    • Click Record
    • Press the key combination needed to (de)activate the motec plugin, so Ctrl + M by default
    • Click Stop, and Ok
    • Now click the control you want to assign to the motec plugin (pressing the physical button will help locate it)
    • In the context menu go to Select Keystroke -> Keystroke Ctrl + M (or whatever yours is called)
    And that should be it. You can toggle logging on and off to your heart's content :D

If you use another controller-to-keyboard emulator (like JoyToKey) it should be quite simple to do the same thing. Checking by first emulating a simple keyboard key (such as a letter) and confirming it works in notepad can be helpful.

18. jepeto

jepeto Registered

Please,

can you say me where are located 1 the.dll really folder : Program Files (x86)/rfactor2/Plugins ?? Is it keeping an another plugins running like trackmaps ? and folder /LOG where is located ???
    i 've tried about without résult .
    thanks for quotes

19. jepeto

jepeto Registered

ok, now i have my .ini.
    it was coming from uac but i stayed with the launcher, so impossible to move it... so close the launcher and open with administrator competence , right click from mouse.... Que du bonheur !

20. SamSneed1

SamSneed1 Registered

Lazza, can you explain why brake wear data cannot be seen in Motec? Maybe something to do with the programming for RF2? The trackmap plugin doesn't seem to show it either. How can this data be captured?
    Cheers