ISI Anti-Aliasing Levels and How They Relate to Video Card Driver AA Levels

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by otta56, Jan 15, 2012.

1. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

People are mentioning stressful AA levels.

Look at any new generation gaming reviews they use 4x and no tools

If they used Higher AA or tools to increase quality the fps would dive and give unrealistic scaling for good gaming.

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/NVIDIA/GeForce_GTX_Titan/19.html

I rather look at it like they do "Candidate for highest hardware requirements" , not worse optimization.

2. Olivier Prenten

Olivier Prenten Registered

Do you drive with zoom? LOL!
    I can't understand this discussion! rF2 config tool is good enough to get the best result!

3. Barf Factor

Barf Factor Registered

Well my face is quite close to the screen, so I do notice the jaggies. I can live with them, for me the main problem is the broken white lines that are supposed to be continuous
    http://isiforums.net/f/showthread.p...iver-AA-Levels?p=185132&viewfull=1#post185132

But it seems it is not exactly an AA problem:

4. Kknorpp001

Kknorpp001 Banned

So could what wizper said be why Silverstone is worse and needs an update? Other tracks not so bad. Also, maybe b/c road is so dark. Not that road is TOO dark, just that a dark road will show worse?

5. Kknorpp001

Kknorpp001 Banned

Yeah I usually don't pay attention to paint, but Racing today at Zolder I noticed paint looked almost perfect and also didn't even notice other AA issues.

6. Olivier Prenten

Olivier Prenten Registered

Maybe some people simply need to buy new pairs of glasses! Lol!

7. Stephen Bacchus

Stephen Bacchus Registered

Add me to the camp that would like some answers on this. At Silverstone they're driving me crazy. Made a short video to highlight the problem: http://youtu.be/lKO4fMe81f8

I tried applying additional enhancements through Nvidia inspector, I even went up to 16xS (combined 2x2 SS + 4xMS) with 4x SGSS for transparency and it was still just as bad.

8. o0thx11380o

o0thx11380o Registered

The problem with AA is even apparent in ISI's own screenshots

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

If you ctrl and mouse wheel up you can see the same AA problems that we are having. Thats why in the DEV questions thread I asked if they were going to fix these problems. Time will tell.

9. Otto Dafe

Otto Dafe Registered

Well everything looks aliased when you upscale it enough.

10. o0thx11380o

o0thx11380o Registered

Thats true but you can see the same problems happening. For one the white grid boxes on the track surface start breaking as it goes off into the distance. Thats the same problem all of us have related to AA. A while back I posted some edited screenshots detailing the problems.

Fire up silverstone and check it out for yourself.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    If AA was working the image should be free from jaggies but it isnt

[​IMG]
    right click and view image for the full size

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 31, 2013
  11. Otto Dafe

Otto Dafe Registered

Yeah I agree about the problems, and they seem present (and more or less unchanged) in all ISI software. I would suggest though, that if you're doing image quality comparisons not to use lossy formats. Also upscaling by an arbitrary amount in a browser or other program will usually bring whatever filter that program uses in to play.

12. Bart S

Bart S Member

to get rid of them jaggies at high contrast areas you need 16xQ CSAA and 8xSGSS. Supersampling works hand in hand with your base AA settings. The rule for best performance and visuals is to have half SGSS of your AA setting. A good balance for me is 8x CSAA and 2x SGSS I have it low as 4x SGSS is quite heavy depending on track, and I'd rather not continually keep changing settings based at what track I race at but I should really have 8x CSAA and 4xSGSS. Now if I turned my 3Dvision off I could probably do that and more 16xQ and 8xSGSS.

These can only be set in nVidia inspector, if you fancy trying it out read my guide and set the appropriate settings if your GFX card is upto the job.

13. BerJupiler

BerJupiler Registered

I also played around with the Nvidia settings and thereby overriding the game settings. I had my gamesettings all maxed out, given that I have no performance issues. Using the nvideau panel gives a significant increase in the quality of the image. I also noticed performance increase but I didn’t verify that by a bench mark. The way to go clearly is to use the Nvidia panel, till the game is properly optimized.

[​IMG]