Does rF2's developer mode really include development mode to create/edit content?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Rantam, Jan 10, 2012.

1. Rantam

Rantam Registered

Hi,

after reading the documents ISI released yesterday about packaging and track creation in rF2, as well as that beta review at SimHQ I've got a good number of answers to questions i had on my mind. But I still have one which I'd like to have an answer for:

Does rF2's developer mode really include a development mode to create/edit content?

I'll explain myself a bit: in rFactor we had to create/modify text files in order to develop physics, sounds, user interface, etc. That means that (with some exceptions) you had to go out of the game, open that text file, edit the numbers/parameters manually, close & save the file and then relaunch the game to see your changes applied instead of using a "real" developer mode which allows to change parameters/content directly inside the game (using an "on the screen" interface). That developer mode does exist in rF but is not available for the general public/modders.

So what I'm asking is just if rF2 is going to have that "real" developer mode.

I'll be happy enough just having a "Yes" or "No" as an answer :)

Lot of thanks in advance!

2. mianiak

mianiak Registered

I saw this posted a while back, is this the sort of thing your looking for?

[​IMG]

3. ethone

ethone Registered

From the descriptions, think of it like the AIW Editor for rFactor 1. Not an all-encompassing editor that lets you adjust every variable live from inside the sim.

4. Rantam

Rantam Registered

@mianiak, is that kind of thing. But that one is just focused on graphical/weather conditions/controllers, and nothing of that is really related to create/modify mod's content (physics, sounds, user interface, etc).

That dev mode exist for sure (as it does in rF1). I'm just asking if it's going to be available for the general public/modders this time :)

Regards

5. Luc Van Camp

Luc Van Camp Track Team Staff Member

Yes, I'd say it's similar to the rF1 AIW Editor, but it's been extended for the new technology.
    Being a track guy, I'm not sure how accessible the physics files are from within mod development mode though. It is more modder-friendly than rF1 for sure.

6. Rantam

Rantam Registered

Thanks Luc, I really appreciate the fast answer ;) If rF2's dev mode offers something similar to rF1's (I'm not talking about the AIW but the rest) then rF2 is going to be way easier to mod!

Regards

7. Yutja

Yutja Registered

I am looking forward to this!

8. Nor

Nor Registered

I'm wondering why the ISI staff wake up so early.

9. StopPt

StopPt Registered

to go to work?

10. henri200

henri200 Registered

I think they said at some point that it's not needed to restart the game for physics changes now.

11. mianiak

mianiak Registered

Maybe they haven't been able to sleep..:confused:

12. Rantam

Rantam Registered

Just to confirm that (as far as i've seen) the developer mode doesn't include the "real development tools" I wrote about in my first post. Only the AIW, camera and those few things are there.

So, to create/edit physics, sounds, UI, etc. we have to still doing it editing plain text files. That's a pity, I thought rF2 was going to be more modder friendly than rF1 :(

Regards

13. richiespeed13

richiespeed13 Registered

I don't even know how to edit the current files with a text editor :/

Can we not change the damage models and physics yet? Or do we need unreleased dev tools?

14. Michael Borda

Michael Borda Car Team

The simple answer is that we still edit physics using text. In developer mode, changes are instantly applied when going out on the track though. No need to restart the game to test any changes (except for those made upgrades.ini). We do have an internal tool to help analyse the tire files, and a basic starter guide will be released for this in the near future.

In the mean time physics example files are provided as the rTrainer ..\rFactor 2\ModDev\Vehicles\rTrainer
    WinMerge is a good tool to help visualize the differences between text files.

15. Rantam

Rantam Registered

Well, I'm VERY happy to say I was totally mistaken!!! The developer functionalities are indeed there!!!

This is the best thing rF2 could include, lot of thanks indeed ISI!!! :D

Regards

Ps. Thanks for your answer anyway, Michael :)

16. jerrymcc

jerrymcc Registered

Is it just me? When I try to run the Developer mode, my computer screen goes blank, and I have to do a hard reboot. Single and Online are working fine.

Any ideas? thanks

17. F1lover

F1lover Registered

Hey Jerry I think its because the Developers mode is set on a different rF2 launch.. its in a seperate file it has its own launch exe so you may want to point your GFX card to that EXE as well just in case..

18. jerrymcc

jerrymcc Registered

This didn't help, ISI have any ideas? thx