What would you pay for a great mod?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by GTFREAK, Nov 8, 2011.

1. PLAYLIFE

PLAYLIFE Registered

On average, cup of coffee is around $3.00 AUD here (€2.40)!

2. Mad739

Mad739 Registered

0€ and 0$

3. SLuisHamilton

SLuisHamilton Banned

For F1 mod 1991 L.E i would pay $100. Since all the cars, circuits, drivers names, brands, paints of mod are perfect replicas of the originals. If they do this officially with total support an guarantees i´ll pay for that and nothing else.
    Best mod ever.

4. RafBR

RafBR Registered

100% agree

5. IMSA GTP

IMSA GTP Registered

About 12 years ago people were saying they would never pay for a subscription to a website. Along came a website that featured the information they needed, and the videos they wanted (no, not XXX) and sure enough they paid up. More then a few rFactor people were among them including slimjim.

Over the last year or so there have been some beta trials going on with a web site that provides info, mods, tracks, and lots of helpful pointers and it is also a subscription based service. Its target market is to those who value their time so its not likely to appeal to the majority of users, particularly the younger folks.

As far as a revenue generation model for the modders, its not likely that any of them will come up a way to quit their day jobs. There just aren't that many people who are willing to pay for a mod, much less donate.

The other thing I find interesting is in numerous offline discussions with some of the more acclaimed modders, they've all said the same thing; donations are sparse to non-existent. Its doubtful that any modder has ever "earned" anything more then one thin dime per hour of labor on their mods.

That may one day change but not until many other things change first.

6. F1RacerDan

F1RacerDan Registered

In all seriousness has anyone tried this mod? or will no one pay it lol?

7. Mitt Wilson

Mitt Wilson Registered

Well considering that Modders arent using there own tools, Ideas, Designs it is a very tuff conversation to have. For Me I wouldnt Mind paying for a Mod but when it gets to the Amount of iRacing then it becomes more of a "I Better Race" situation because I am being charged every month to Race.....
    As stated above it is a tuff conversation due to the fact I enjoy a Handful of tracks and only a few Mods that have been produced, Considering the amount of Mods and Tracks produced Only a few have really made it to become a daily raced sim, with that said would most or any mod need to have a price tag put on them? If we don't Pay for a Add-On should we feel bad cause we didn't fork out or hard earned money for it? When a Modder releases a Track or Mod what he or she is doing is putting what they like to do out there in an attempt to either be signed to a Sim Dev Team and or they just Love to do it- Either way as I see it OverCharging for a Game really hurts the overall fun in the longrun, ie: iRacing they turned a fun entertaining idea that people enjoyed into a crazy subscription based game where some people have gone without eating to pay for mods,tracks,fees (yes for real).
    Hope you understand what Im saying- and if any Modders out there find what I wrote annoying remove your self from the modding side and back to strictly racing side and see it from ourside.

8. jubuttib

jubuttib Registered

You don't know who Balanesko is do you? And you probably haven't tried any of his free mods (still rips from games).

The models look pretty good because they're ripped content, and while graphically pleasing the physics of all of his mods are just plain awful.

9. jubuttib

jubuttib Registered

Doesn't L.E. stand for "League Edition", meaning all the cars have the same physics? Wouldn't that inherently mean that at most one of the cars is a perfect replica of the original, since there is only one set of physics available?

10. coops

coops Banned

i asked about this b4 the beta and every1 is saying they wont CHARGE so why worrie. and this is a community based game which is way better than having to wait for the developers to release what they want, not what you would want. so in saying this it will be like RF1. this means we get everything sooner rather than later and the game will rival all others

11. SLuisHamilton

SLuisHamilton Banned

I don´t know. On this mod i only use mclaren and i didn´t know thats l.e. means league edition since i almost never play rfactor 1 online

12. Saabjock

Saabjock Registered

This is not new. It has already been done.

13. Guy Moulton

Guy Moulton Registered

Once money is involved, modders have to pay for licensing and the WHOLE game changes.

Legal issues aside, I would pay for the right mod done well. Race 07 got me used to the idea with the last few expansions they put out and it really extended the life of that sim for me. I didn't mind at all paying a little for the high quality mods they put out. I bought most of those final packs they put out. If ISI does the exact same thing with rF2, I'll be there to buy the expansions.

14. dice65

dice65 Registered

i would pay for any mods , god knows on the playstation an xbox you pay for everything , lets keep the people making stuff wanna stay doing it for us , it will help keep computer gaming alive !

15. modmate

modmate Registered

WTH?
    Whats that, such guys need a cut off. I do myself Modding since Years now and do NEVER charge ANY money for my mods. Thats absolutely BS, no matter who you think you are( Balanesko). Also his mods doesnt look THAT good like someone mentioned here. And here we go , since i seriously HATE guys like him who charge money for mods I will try anything to get all his cars done also, BUT for free seriously!!! That guy is pure Duck****, and also ISI should not allow him to use any Rfactor or RF2 Logo on his site.
    wooo. i get mad about him...:mad:

Modmate

16. jubuttib

jubuttib Registered

Especially since Balanesko doesn't do models himself, but rips them from other (usually NFS) games.

17. isamu

isamu Registered

In all honesty, after playing and being fairly new to Grand Prix Legends, I would pay up to $100USD for a mod that brings us a great rendition of all the cars from the 65,66,&67 Formula 1 era, as well as high quality renditions of the following tracks:

1)The old Nurburgring
    2)Isle of Man
    3)Dundrod
    4)Jops Siffert
    5)Targa Florio
    6)Rouen Essert
    7)The old Spa
    8)Bathurst
    9))Old Watkins Glenn
    10)Machwerk

and many more.

Seriously...a full blown "GPL 2" mod for rFactor 2 with up to date graphics, is a mod I would pay a pretty penny for, no questions asked.

18. Dahie

Dahie Registered

That's what I use to flattr to a docent projects/websites each month. Unfortunately not to modders, since nobody uses flattr. 8)

To you what makes the difference being "official" and "just a mod"?
    Does "being official" make the mod better or the efforts bigger?
    Why don't you donate this amount without the label "official" on it?

Too general… donations are fine as modders don't charge …

Apart from legal issues, your opinion is no modder should charge money, because you don't?

----

Many people here have the attitude of "I would pay!"
    Why don't you?! At CTDP we are currently planing how to effort the next years and given our experience I doubt that donations will cover expenses.
    Where DO you donate? What are the circumstance and services you use? As I said, I use flattr as a tipjar, what do you use?

19. SLuisHamilton

SLuisHamilton Banned

Sure. Why you think one developer of the excellent spotter plugin of rf1 left the project? Because was not official and the work stopped. Will you buy a car wich maybe has no techinical support in the next month or year?
    And the money i will pay for the modder, he gonna pay others works? Mclaren team will have their part on this thing? Social projects of Ayrton Senna will receive some money of moders using his name?

20. Valerio Kinex

Valerio Kinex Registered

people saying that they would pay 100 dollars are freaking nuts.
    Mean people have like 1500 euro per month, and paying 100 euro for a freaking mod it's weird ****.

This is being said by a person who just spent 320 euro on a cloche for flight simulators.