Promo video "Grand Prix" for newly announced rFactor 2 track at Inside Sim Racing

Discussion in 'News & Notifications' started by 88mphTim, Oct 13, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nibo

Nibo Registered

I started simracing with the GPL. This is so awesome! Historic F1, Monaco, Spa...
    It looks like details of suspension movement on replay increased, but I`m not sure. Need to see full lap replay of one car :)

2. AUS-mONKEy

AUS-mONKEy Registered

3. thuGG

thuGG Registered

Yeah, right. CARS is in another league (better) when it comes to graphics.

4. RizoR

RizoR Registered

Amazing video.Great Job isi.But do the new engine really takes enough power to handle more than 30 cars on a track? With so much grafics on trackside+high poly cars.It looks beatifull,but i think their is more/better systempower needed/usefull to get enough FPS with a full Grid.
    It seams when latter mods came out like WSGT,....their can be FPS problems if we build new detailed Tracks.What i wanna say,for the future i need more powerfull sys for rf2.

BTW how high limitation of .gmt`s will be for Trackcreating in rf2. rf1 was ~2000 right?

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 14, 2011
  5. Luc Van Camp

Luc Van Camp Track Team Staff Member

It was stated that rF2 handles polys quite a bit better than rF1, but 3D objects will still have to be efficient, just like in any other game.
    It pleases me personally that the tracks are more detailed compared to rF1. I suppose that explains partly where the extra polys have gone :) . After all, a 'million poly' car on a flat, low poly track makes no sense.

Since the 3D now interacts more with the physical computations as opposed to the static environments from older games, it adds an extra load on the CPU. For this reason, the load caused by a 'million poly' tyre, for instance, will result in more processing by both the GPU and the CPU. That balance adds a layer of complexity in game/model design. The result, however, is that you now have extra unfaked visual information next to the important FFB :) . I'd rather have that than features like photomode, or simply a fancy realtime render engine that doesn't feel connected to the physical side. It's certainly the area we have -and are- focussing on, before making it look pretty and fancy :) .

Anyway, I hope that gives a better understanding about the poly usage of the elements that interact with the environment. This is also reflected in the system requirements.

About the GMT numbers ... I don't know to be honest :eek: .

6. Johannes Rojola

Johannes Rojola Registered

Ah nothing here, proceed ->

7. Flaux

Flaux Registered

Thx for the Video Tim! Nothing special in there but to see an new track is always welcome. :cool: Oh and the dynamic shadows of course...and the animation,....and.... lol....

BTW: Tire deformation was missing in this video right? Or is it only hard to see!?

PS: What about reflections? Could only see some lightning on the cars but no reflection...that was irritating, because rf1 already has reflections... so was it because of new aftereffects that are still WIP and not shown?

8. RizoR

RizoR Registered

thx for this information Luc Van Camp.

^^ Flaux profilepic, days of thunder... hm,i think i play latter some rounds in the nascar class.

9. feels3

feels3 Member Staff Member

How many polygons have Monaco from video? :)

I have started building track (Croft) and I'm curious about that. Especially how many polys have surface.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 14, 2011
  10. Beemer

Beemer Registered

well thanks for info Luc...what comes to physical computing ,..thats the one reason i went long time ago use multi GPU...with the nvidia , you're able to choose
    which one doing calculating..GPU or CPU...and you know GPU does it atleast 1000 times faster than CPU...not a difficult choose which one.
    anyway , nice compromize with track details and vechile details is probably the best way...i don't care much those animations..those are more wasted space
    for others to me.

11. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

Ah, I see! I just wasn't sure what you were even trying to point out. :)

12. 88mphTim

The main reason why the open beta stage will be OK, but it wasn't OK earlier, just to explain, is that modders wouldn't have been able to fix/do things. For example the tunnel at Monaco required some major work, if a modder had tried to do that before we did it... Yikes. :) That's why the included content is actually very important for modding... We've tried to tackle as many of the things modders will as possible and fixed as many potential issues as possible. :)

13. 88mphTim

Me too. I started 'gaming' before GPL, but I started 'sim racing' with GPL. So as you can guess I am very happy... ;)

14. 88mphTim

I'm not 100% sure on the tire deformation, I'll have to ask. Like HDR, there were some things still WIP on that when this video was started, and although they're better now I'm not sure if it's featured in the vid.

Although, tire deformation in these cars is minimal due to the tires themselves. Maybe the best way to check would be to watch the original file (which I am providing later today) and look for when the car drives over the kerbing, as that usually causes a bit of wobbling on the rim.

15. DmitryRUS

DmitryRUS Registered

Tim, the video is no shadow of metal barriers, it is intentionally or by accident?

16. Lazza

Lazza Registered

The metal barriers on another part of the track are casting shadows. I'd say they're just not switched on for the ones you're referring to.

17. 88mphTim

Hm, I'd find it really difficult to confirm that from the video... I can't say I have noticed. For the majority of the video the time is probably 2pm or so. I believe I see shadowing in a couple of places, probably more times than I can say for sure there isn't any... 2:04, 2:10, 2:13, show it, I think? Although I agree there are times it seems it is lacking, but whether that is an artifact of the post processing or the time of day, or a combination, etc, not so sure.

18. DmitryRUS

DmitryRUS Registered

Time 1.05, from large barrels a shadow, and the barrier is not ... may change but the picture is not alive. (

19. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Hmm... are you sure? Don't let the height of the 'barrel' mislead you - look at the angle from the top left of it to where its shadow is, that same angle from the barrier... and you can see the shadows of the posts, and what's quite possibly shadow from the barrier itself (difficult to make out what's going on at the edge of the track there).

You see that big shadow from the barrel and you expect to see shadows leading to the left of the barrier, but the sun is actually quite high.

20. 88mphTim

I see what he's saying though, it is tough to see them in places, most often because the kerb is usually there too and I think the shadow is casting onto the kerb.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.