Promo video "Grand Prix" for newly announced rFactor 2 track at Inside Sim Racing

Discussion in 'News & Notifications' started by 88mphTim, Oct 13, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MaXyM

MaXyM Registered

Maybe because most of us are waiting just for tech showcase but get unrelated stuff instead.

2. Johannes Rojola

Johannes Rojola Registered

Could we see a trailer from Winning and Le Mans as well? :cool:

There is too much Driven trailers in the world...

3. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

How is this unrelated? It'd be unrelated if it wasn't showing you what IS in the video, which is actually a lot.

4. Marek Lesniak

Marek Lesniak Car Team Staff Member

....and that "a lot" is what exactly? Tim, I don't see there anything recent on that video.
    Haze, mirage and animated marshals - that has already been covered on previous videos so nothing new and thanks to someone who desperatly tried to have "feeling like beeing in 60's" effect, all details gone from the video (yes, I'm pretty sure it could look much better just without the post processing).

5. Luc Van Camp

Luc Van Camp Track Team Staff Member

Umm, yes, you're perhaps not noticing the one thing this video is actually supposed to show :) .

6. shum94

shum94 Registered

If i may say.

What i like to see is a crescendo communication and a coherent one. We had snapshots with rain conditions in closed cockpit car then a video in an open wheel under rain.

I get the amout of work for the track, the video etc... but i'm really into features and what are we gona get.
    That sort of trailer should be release the last month before release.

My sentiment.

7. Marek Lesniak

Which is....? :)

8. Luc Van Camp

A tiny little track and some lovely cars :) . I believe THAT was the main objective of the promo (similarly to another studio recently revealing an open-wheeler from under the covers). A tribute to that famous movie was clearly a fitting way to show what the artists have been up to, especially since the track in question was secretly announced here on the forum more than half a year ago.

9. 88mphTim

The track itself, this being an answer and coming out of Scott's earlier post.
    The announcement of the track and rF2 to a wider audience than those on this forum (gamespot, for example - any consideration that this might be not for this forum audience exclusively?). ;)
    The showing of difference between rF1 content and rF2 content.
    The quality of the track model in terms of realism.
    The quality of the texture, shapes, the amount of models visible.
    The track surface not being smooth, point to point, and actually alive.
    The racing line rubbered with very few marbles (realistic for those tires).
    A racing line made from where cars actually drive, not where the devs assume, and laid down according to tire load and surface abbrasiveness, etc.
    Heat haze according to when the engines are at their highest temperature (at the start, mainly).
    Heat haze on the track surface according to the track temp in specific areas.
    The cars.
    The quality of the car models in terms of realism.
    The quality of the textures, shapes, the amount of car parts visible.
    The way the cars move, the physics (pretty natural movement).
    The AI, because I assume they were mostly AI.
    Much improved lighting.
    Much improved shading.
    The state of development (you're seeing multiple cars, on screen, on a very intensive track which gives you a really good indication of the FPS being good).

And lastly, the communication, via video, which we apparently don't give you. :) The fact is, the video is what it is, shows what it shows. it doesn't show some things, that's correct. Why? because it doesn't. And? We've released a series of videos and this is one of them. I'll be cutting down my replies on this now.

Thanks for the feedback.

10. feels3

feels3 Member Staff Member

Lesiu probably isn't a fan of the historic track and cars. Maybe that's why he complains a little bit;)

11. Lenniepen

Lenniepen Registered

Tim, thanks for the list.
    I already noticed most of the items on your list, but some have been overlooked by me (or are less obvious in the video than others).
    This list makes me watch the video again and again, especially for the AI.
    One thing though. By 'Much improved shading', do you really mean shading, or maybe shadows? Because shadows look very good to me (especially in the cockpit-shot), but shaders do not seem to have improved that much, in comparison to F1.

12. Marek Lesniak

Yeah, nice but at first look (so, NOT analysing single frames...) it looked like a decent track from rF 1. When I analised the video in wmv then I started noticing some nice stuff but thanks to so called "great" post effects, I don't see a lot of details (again, without analising frame after frame) that would show the greatness of it.

I would like to see that "a tribute to..." done with more complete version of rF 2. For me, doing such demanding (well, it is a tribute and not just a video of a ride on streets of historical Monte Carlo) video brings some responsibility and doing it on unfinished, beta version...well, let's say, you would not like to hear my honest opinion on that ;-)

OK, probably there are no F1 cars from that era on rF 1... fair enough then. Of course we already saw some screens with 3d models of various cars we will see in rF 2 so actually nothing new on the video (they just got "clothes" ;-) )

Don't see it, thanks to post processing effects which took off all the details you could see on a raw full hd material.

Textures looks pretty low res (I saw much better in rF 1 already on various tracks and mods) but that might be due to post processing which makes everything more blurry/less detailed that actually might be.

I don't see those cars "working" on bumps as should. They look rather pretty flat driving, to be honest...we will see when the beta comes out.

Saw that already from your tech preview. Still though, I have no idea how it's possible you have rubbered line on a straight line, far from apex area... right now it looks like some sort of an issue that will be fixed during the open beta period.

It could be just a static texture the devs put there.... There is no evidence on the video for what you said. To really prove that, you would have to show a tech demo, like you did with OW cars, showing how the track gets rubbered.

In rF 1 you can get from a garage straight on the grid so the engine won't be at its highest temperature and on the video you see almost all cars already standing on the grid. There is a moment with visible one car moving slowly probably towards its spot on the grid but that is just my assumption, what's happening there (it's not that evident).

Don't see it at all (and yes, my TV is in perfect shape ;-) ).

Great! But we will see during the beta tests, how good the physics are for these cars :)

You mean, the plastic tyres and other whicked things thanks to post processing? Right now it looks like some good models I saw plenty already on rF 1, so nothing to make songs about here...

Again, ruined by fake HDR/bloom and color correction post effects.

They look very stiff. Those cars had rather soft suspension and that should be visible especially on bumpy streets of the city... which is not.

There is no clear evidence it was AI, so I assume it was a bunch of humans having a fun race on the track.

I agree, but still nothing jaw dropping (to some extend, thanks to post processing)

Looks better, so I agree on that.

It could be recorded on a Sandy Bridge @ 5,5GHz and Quad-SLI setup and in that case, having good fps is nothing great. There is no evidence on what machine it was running on so... and the state of developement is, you were using fake HDR - compared to recent screens with in-game HDR... I would say it was a step back in the developement :)

You were supposed to present a second set of Q&A a few months ago... and some other stuff you mentioned you will show us "later" but apparently, you forget about that, don't you? :)

EDIT:
    Tim, you didn't mention about some nice puddles which are clearly visible in 2:05 ;-)

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 18, 2011
  13. shum94

shum94 Registered

Just re watched the trailer. I see someone likes Mad Men xD ;)

You expect us too notice features in a trailer where the editing is very agressive and try to replicate some passages of a movie.
    I did not thought one second until i read you that the skid marks / tracks surface marbling was a feature but more a texture made that way to replicate correct line. And i noticed only in one shot some kind of tire compound dust debris on the track

To show such a feature you would have to show us the clean track day one session one of the week end, then some laps in race.

Physics hum, no more than 3 secs of inboard view in the trailer.

Edit : I feel less lonely all the sudden lol

14. 88mphTim

Thanks for the feedback.

Edit: I actually didn't expect anybody to notice those things. I am responding to the fact that you noticed what wasn't in there, and I merely answered a question which asked me what was in there to notice. I shall refrain from doing that again if that is more acceptable. Although it's feeling difficult to know what the most acceptable thing is, and it is probably why most devs don't give so much communication or actually take part in such discussions.

15. Marek Lesniak

To be honest, you could just write at the begining, what is worth to notice on the video and how it is related to developement (what's new, what's old), apart it beeing a tribute the the movie.

Also, you call this particular video a promo video of rFactor 2, so the community probably was expecting to see rF 2 in the most recent state on the vid.

16. feels3

High quality doesn't mean only high res and high aniso settings.
    What about artistic quality? What about variety?
    This is also quality.

Track surface looks very natural. I'm really curious which track in rf1 has so good textures. I don't know any.

Not all community, maybe a part ;)

17. Marek Lesniak

Tim specified exactly, what he meant:
    and I answered exactly on that.

So please, read more carefully next time ;-)

18. feels3

I can write again the same thing ;)

Texture quality doesn't mean only high res settings. Not for everybody ;-)

19. Marek Lesniak

It's not a painting... you get textures on cars (so real world historic liveries) and you have textures for historic Monte Carlo and you want to make them as realistic and possible. Tarmac texture should look like a tarmac (with proper shader and material properties), yellow line should look like yellow line etc. and I expect it will look good and as should... but I think you are more than aware that even with nice textures,but low res, it won't be looking as should and that's the case. I see nice variety of track textures but all of them are blurry so don't expect me to get exited when there is no real reason for me to be exited (like when I saw screens from various stages of tyre wear - that looked very nice).

20. Luc Van Camp

Once again, if you look at the thread title, it says "Promo video for newly announced rFactor 2 track". At no point does it announce any new features or tech, nor was it published as a dev update or tech snapshot, so one should not expect to find any of that compared to the previous material. Trust me, if there was new tech in the video that deserves your entire attention, it would get its own pure and dedicated publication. I don't even fully understand why one would look for things that aren't shown in the first place ... just like I don't expect to see any of that fancy rubbish on my pizza when I know that I've ordered a plain and simple margherita :) .

Anyway, I personally wouldn't have called this a promo video. To me it's always felt more like a 'content teaser'; an announcement. We could have opted for a dry and boring written announcement, but I'm sure most people will agree that an artistic video is a slightly better way; a different way.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.