rFactor 2 Developer Q&A

Discussion in 'News & Notifications' started by 88mphTim, Mar 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lazza

Lazza Registered

DeDios, I think it's rather presumptious to suggest some guys are faster because they're using very sensitive wheel settings. Sure, it can give you 'faster' reactions, but it also gives you less precision which makes it easier to inadvertantly scrub the front tyres or struggle to get the wheel as straight as is necessary to get the power down out of corners.

If they are faster, I'd say it's more likely down to skill, or mod familiarity, or dodgy mod physics that don't punish you for unrealistic driving (be it cars that are too stable, cars that are too easy to 'catch', and/or tyres that don't heat up and lose grip in a realistic manner when you drive like a maniac).

You can't standardise ratios without having standardised hardware, but I think the whole subject is moot because there's really nothing to be gained by running a different setup. I run 450° lock in a formula car, others run 200°, and because we're all used to what we use we all end up in pretty much the same place. IMO this is a non-issue.

(but, as has been discussed elsewhere, it would be great if rF2 were able to manage your full-lock setting inside the game for different mods, rather than adjusting it via windows/wheel settings)

2. Hutch-SCO

Hutch-SCO Registered

Whats the point in that, so we can listen to little kids like on the xbox/ps3, no thanks.

There is a programe called teamspeak you might want to try google.

3. DeDios

DeDios Registered

Well, in slow chicanes (but not only..that's just an example) if you use 200° instead of 540°, you can do laps a lot faster :)
    Of course, you'll have less precision but if you work on your setup you can solve this problem and..go faster.
    In a simulation is important to have maximum physics accuracy so..a real steering-ratio is fundamental. IMHO of course.

4. Marek Lesniak

Marek Lesniak Car Team Staff Member

But it's not like everyone with higher ratio will be faster... top of the shelf drivers (so called "aliens") can get benefit from that, but they will be still very fast even with normal ratio. Most of us should stick with more reasonable ratios, which provide good, precise control of a car. Imagine some unexperienced drivers with high ratios, thinking they will be faster...but they get a total opposite - they're nervous with their cars and unsettled so a lot more chances to spin the car or even worse - hit other cars.

MAYBE there might be some very specific situations where slightly more agressive ratio could help - with very tight fast chicane where you have to turn the car twice within a second or so.... but here comes the physics. Every car has its inertia and your tyre grip is also limited, so you can't turn even a 200kg OW car like it would be made of paper.
    But could steering ratio 2 times higher compared to a typical one help here? I don't think so. On a good steering wheel, there is absolutely no problem with turning 90 to one side and then 180 to the opposite within a margin of a second and that's how much you typically have to turn your wheel in such tight chicane with a typical steering ratio (let's say 15:1). Of course on DFP it might be very difficult, but that's the wheel's fault, not the ratio's :)

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 23, 2011
  5. DmitryRUS

DmitryRUS Registered

Tim, the question for you. The promised screenshots and WIP Promo video you showed. And what would happen next, what to expect? I little hard to believe that the Beta version rFactor2 will be soon. When asked about the work of the soil, so I did not understand).
    Or you will have more emphasis on the asphalt race? A dirt race simply as an application.

6. THUNDERbreaks

THUNDERbreaks Registered

Yeah, no thanks really, expecially if the mute button doesn't work 100% of the times, like in GT5 lobbies, with yung kids talkin crap 24/7 lol
    I second that. Makes lot of sense.

7. CdnRacer

CdnRacer Banned

I well done tire model and proper sim physics should penalize drivers who choose to run very small steering ratios.

8. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Depends on physics. I'm finding I turn in slower now than I did 3 years ago (in F1 mods) and partly because of that have gained a good 2 seconds in laptime. Any decent mod will reward you with smoothness rather than trying to throw the car around - it unsettles the car too much. If a mod you're playing allows you to throw lots of lock on suddenly without heating/wearing the front tyres excessively and making it difficult to keep the power on, that's the mod's problem.

I cop a lot of flak every time we go to Monaco because of my 450°, with people saying it must be a lot of work, difficult to get to full lock, 'slow' etc etc... but it's fine. It really takes barely any longer to turn the wheel 110° than 60° (and it's quite possible to get to 110° too quickly, as above), and you have a wider 'target zone' once you're there - especially when you're on the way out of a corner.

Anyway, only worth worrying about if it were possible to stop people using high sensitivity if they want, and it's not :)

9. feels3

feels3 Member Staff Member

Tim, what are recommended settings for rf2's FFB in Logitech profiler?

Best settings for FFB in rf1:

Overall effects +-100%
    Spring effect strength 0%
    Damper effect strtength 0%
    Centering spring strength 0%

10. EAO_BuckRat

EAO_BuckRat Registered

A feature I would like is to be able to change the Playback Device ingame.
    ATM changing from speakers to (wireless) headphones ingame for teamspeak requires restarting the game as the Playback device is locked upon game launch. I don't think many people use wireless headphones (seperate device) so it's probably not a big issue.
    Maybe for a later update?

1 person likes this.
  11. ZeosPantera

ZeosPantera Registered

That setup just means the sim using the G27-G25 doesn't need any coloring to make it feel correct. If the settings recommended were different then above I would question the sim's handling of FFB.

12. DmitryRUS

DmitryRUS Registered

I have birthday tomorrow)). Give me the answers to the questions)
    Cars in rFactor2 will get dirty?
    Will the dynamic surface stain of asphalt? From grass to the asphalt after an error in driving.
    Are there any side load on the tires? The lateral resistance of tires
    How much will it cost Beta rFactor2?
    How long will it? 1 month, 2 months? Do not answer "coming soon"
    :eek:

13. Jim Beam

Jim Beam Registered

@Tim...have any devs/beta testers tried this and is it any good?

14. slow_duck

slow_duck Registered

15. lazaro1717

lazaro1717 Registered

Have anyone realized of new HDR preview at the top of the forum? lol

16. DmitryRUS

DmitryRUS Registered

computers updated, downloaded the driver) ... what else would you do ...? wait rFactor2? ... let's welcome news about rFactor2!!! We want news)

17. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

Isn't that a direct sound issue?

18. 88mphTim

That's what I use, not with a Logi wheel though.

19. 88mphTim

Just thinking out loud... Would a sharper steering cause by higher sensitivity not wear tires more? A larger rotation forces you to be smoother I believe as you have to take the longer time to turn the wheel. At least, that's what I'm seeing when I picture it...

20. 88mphTim

lol. I've just emailed out a Q&A to a Spanish sim racing site, too. They promised to post it in English, too. I'll link it when it's up. They also have a new screenshot... But it's not exclusive to them this time.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.