Should we better avoid the Halloween sale for rFactor2 in future?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by 8bar, Dec 27, 2023.

1. 8bar

8bar Registered

I bought the English track pack and the BMW 330i for 19.87 euros on November 27, 23.
    But what I didn't know is that Studio397 has excluded this BMW from many of the BTCC races in recent weeks - for whatever reason?

Not even a month later, the entire TOURING CAR TOTAL PACK with all English tracks and all cars is offered for 22.49 euros.
    Why didn't you (Studio397) do this right away?
    So that those who bought the English track package a few weeks ago are now really annoyed?

2. TonyM

TonyM Registered

I used to drive this BMW 330 in the BTCC LFM races and it was fun to drive.

Why would the BMW330 be excluded from the BTCC races in rF2 now?
    Can someone explain this to me?

3. 8bar

8bar Registered

Nobody said the BMW wasn't fun to drive.
    However, why this car was excluded from some BTCC races is a legitimate question to which I would also like to hear an answer.

Although I certainly had the tracks, I was unable to take part in races during the recent weeks.
    When I clicked on "purchase content", only cars were added to my cart, nothing else.

Maybe the marketing geniuses at Studio397 thought they'd make front-wheel drive only BTCC races to get people to buy more BTCC content? I don't know but it sucks.

4. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

My thought would be they have never been able to completely BOP the rear wheel drive cars vs the Front wheel drive. So to improve the racing for the rest of the field, they may have excluded the two rear wheel drive cars. But that is all just supposition.

PirroC likes this.
  5. burgesjl

burgesjl Registered

Pure speculation on my part, but its probably because they consider the rear wheel drive cars to have a performance advantage at present. We know this is certainly the case with AI, and I certainly find it easier to get a laptime with either of the rear drive cars. So my bet would be, simply for online racing parity.

PirroC likes this.
  6. TonyM

TonyM Registered

I just wrote that I found it fun to drive. Not that other people dislike it…

7. TonyM

TonyM Registered

That sounds indeed very plausible.

8. Bernat

Bernat Registered

Annoyed because you bought on sale and there were more sales after?

Really, I can't understand people these days. Always annoyed by everything. You're getting a good deal one way or another. If it wasn't good enough for you, you could have just waited for another deal. Don't you know how sales work? You're not guaranteed the best price of all time. Never.

9. 8bar

8bar Registered

If you have too much money and don't understand it, then you don't have to, nobody is forcing you.

10. 8bar

8bar Registered

Once again, the point here is that the Halloween sale at the end of November was really bad and now you have to ask yourself whether all the sales from Studio397 of the year are useless and the only worthwhile sale comes at the end of the year.

Here is a good and recent example:
    At the end of November, the TOURING CAR TOTAL PACK still costs 30 euros.
    They only lowered the price of the English track pack.
    Just three weeks later, the TOURING CAR TOTAL PACK with all tracks and cars costs 22.49 euros.
    Of course I feel screwed.
    Anyone who thinks this is great when something like that happens within one month is welcome to try to talk me into it -
    I am curious to hear the arguments.

Simracing is not my only hobby and I want to spend my money wisely.
    Fortunately, there's a good variety these days and other companies that have better offers and don't screw their customers over like that.

11. elgagon

elgagon Registered

In your case, it seems that is better to wait to the packs with the content of the year.
    And it's usual that if you wait some years the content will be cheaper.

12. 8bar

8bar Registered

But I'm not talking about years.
    This happened within a month.

13. trichens

trichens Registered

In my opinion there is just one question.
    Am I happy to spend the money being asked for an item or not?
    If yes then I'll buy it.
    If not then I don't.
    I can buy a bag of rice from the supermarket and the following week it's reduced. That's just the way stuff works.

Having said that it would be nice if you could get a discount by buying more than one (or two) DLC items.
    Buy two or three and get 5% off.
    Four or more gets you 10% off.
    However I don't believe that Steam allows things to work that way.

14. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

I buy Coca Cola 12 pak of cans at thanksgiving, on sale because of a holiday for $4.99. That same 12 pak of cans at Christmas was $3.99. Should I whine and whinge? No, I got a deal at thanksgiving and a better deal at Christmas. You can say these are one time purchases but if you had waited til Christmas for the best (yes unannounced) price, you would not have been able to use those cars and tracks for that month. You have to add in the value you receive by USING the cars and tracks. Each event you joined, each track or car that was used provided you with value you would not have received otherwise. Money/cost is only one factor. If you purchased the cars and tracks without using them at all, then yes you screwed yourself. But if you joined any event using those cars and tracks you rewarded yourself via the entertainment received by racing against others. You may have over=paid by a few scheckles, but you got immeasurable wealth in return.

Highlandwalker and Emery like this.
  15. 8bar

8bar Registered

I'm supporting Studio397 since the first rFactor game, so I've invested a lot of money in it and I'm not happy with their pricing policy.
    If you have been with them for so long and have already bought a lot of content, then you have a big disadvantage with Studio397, because individual content is hardly reduced and you have to buy everything in packages, which results in double and triple payments, but that's another story.

So I waited a long time for them to finally reduce the TOURING CAR TOTAL PACK.
    But they didn't, so I thought I'd buy the English tracks and a BTCC car which I like: the BMW 330i.
    What I didn't know and didn't think was that Studio397 would exclude a single car from many touring car races after my purchase and that was the BMW 330i - so I couldn't race the BTCC anymore.
    After my years of experience with Studio397, I'm pretty sure they didn't do that by mistake.

Would you be happy with that too?

16. 8bar

8bar Registered

Have you read that Studio397 have excluded exactly the car (BMW 330i) which I and probably most people have bought from many BTCC races, even though it runs in the real BTCC series???

Honestly, if I were a Studio397 employee and read here how many people try to talk up this crappy pricing policy - why should I change anything about the prices?

17. elgagon

elgagon Registered

IIRC this is the second year that there are packs of the whole year.
    You should wait to the end of the year to get the "best" price.
    But in the software market usually the more you wait, the cheaper the prices are.

18. RNelson

RNelson Registered

If you want to look to be a victim you will have an unending supply of opportunity.

19. trichens

trichens Registered

I've purchased all the DLC over the last couple of years. Not sure if any was discounted TBH.

I see now that packs have been created for the intermediate and advanced race groupings. That's quite a good way of organising the DLC (at least for newbies).

As to the repetitive nature of the online racing. I can easily see people complaining if they needed to purchase a lot of DLC to take part.

It's going to be a fine line to walk to have this working for as many people as possible.
    There seems to be a "blindness" to the RaceControl system being free (for the time being at least). Don't forget the servers and admin have to be funded somehow.

20. Bernat

Bernat Registered

You're right about the BMW being excluded from races. I didn't know about this but if that's your case you should complain to them and I'd back you on this.

8bar likes this.