F1 80's Mod project seasons pack (historical demo released)

Discussion in 'Vehicles' started by trollray, Apr 27, 2020.

1. doddynco

doddynco Registered

Yes '86 definitely had more downforce than '83. The footage I found of that corner in '78 and '83 both have the driver lift. In '86, i've concluded that despite the slightly increase downforce, the increased entry speed means they will lift for turn 2. As for the ground effect cars, I wouldn't be surprised if they could go flat out around turn 2.

2. EmperorOfFinland

EmperorOfFinland Registered

Oh yeah the 1979, 1982 and Group C Porsche 956 goes that corner easily flat. its hardest with the porsche but its a sports prototype so it lacks downforce. and since i have driven kyalami on all those 3 i did get caught offguard by not being able to go it flat. since if a 1970s pre groundeffect car can do it it just feels odd that the 1986 just cant do it since you would expect the car to do it especially with the sticky tires it has LUL.

Yeah i tend to excel on groundeffect cars since they require the type of keke rosberg style of driving where you dont lift but just keep accelerating and pull the car to the road. Although the funniest thing is that in 1983 jacrepagua the cars were faster than 1982 cars on quali despite losing tons of downforce and most of the corners there are fast. i guess i should go check that track with the car and see how it drives.

3. vava74

vava74 Registered

Kyalami Classic + Keke Rosberg = Senna + Donington

4. svictor

svictor Registered

Attached Files:

makan, Bostrom, datasting and 7 others like this.
  5. doddynco

doddynco Registered

Kyalami 1976 is amazing and @Corti has just recently updated it - I discovered it for the first time the other day and found it has an amazing flow. Great surface detail too.

vava74, Bostrom, Corti and 3 others like this.
  6. AKR

AKR Registered

Cant find it, if not in steam do you have a link?

7. Highlandwalker

Highlandwalker Registered

Link in text file.

Attached Files:

makan and AKR like this.
  8. EmperorOfFinland

its tons of fun with period correct cars. since the track is really fast. its especially enjoyable with groundeffect cars since there is only couple really slow corners and most of them are extremely fast.

buzz hornet and doddynco like this.
  9. trollray

trollray Registered

Hi all, i was a bit on work too and did'nt reacted here these days but i would tell you how i'm proud to work with @doddynco on this project ;)
    It's amazing how that project come to life now :D
    '
    I put a lot of time in testings on backstage for Doddy and could say he nail it !

Some points here as maybe some of passionate drivers as you are knows.
    "These cars are not plug and play". :p
    The very big differences from engines power, tyres, fuel weight and so can lead to very different behaviors even during a race but this is how it was.
    As soon as you get it, setups are your friends but use them carefully young padawan, because you may fall to the dark side of the track frequently.
    The frustrations are a step to pass over and is very rewarding when right foot discipline, car balance and setups are understanded.

I'm working hardly now on ai balance but keep in mind that i'm doing it only for the 1986 tracks where you can find here : https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2618731740

1988 cars and tracks are up to date and i just need to see if tyres wear match between ai/human. Feedbacks are welcome. ;)

Happy driving all

Cheers

Lars, makan, GPNeville and 7 others like this.
  10. doddynco

doddynco Registered

11. doddynco

doddynco Registered

Evening guys. V0.5 is here. A new car is ready - in contrast to the Osella release a few days ago, today is the FW11. I knocked the sound together quickly this time and am quite pleased with the results - it made a difference having good sources and a bit of practice.

At some point in one of RF2's recent updates, they have fixed the AI always flat shifting. This is super important to these cars because the flat shift meant that no boost was lost, making them impossibly quick in a straight line and annoying to race against (and they also sounded completely wrong). With that issue being sorted out, and now that we have 5 cars including the front and back markers, it seemed like a good time to give the AI balance a first pass.

[​IMG]
    https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2295224315

- Added new vehicle: Williams FW11

- AI rebalance

- Additional car model instance of FA1G for Allen Berg (same physics as FA1H for now)

- Added engine and car model names to UI

- Removed deAngelis tribute - I will make a separate steam workshop item for this at some point

- Mclaren, Osella engine sound improvements

- Mclaren setup refinements

- TV cam position changes

Known issues:

Turbo sounds missing (RF2 bug)
    Slow AI off the line
    Wet grip not yet calibrated
    Williams boost meter reading incorrect

Last edited: Nov 24, 2023
    makan, pkelly, pascom and 11 others like this.
  12. buzz hornet

buzz hornet Registered

Awesome - another car - very nice.

13. trollray

trollray Registered

@doddynco ,

Wouhouuuuuuu!!!!!

Last night, we where talking about the release and i said that i would'nt sleep before testing it.
    But, as always, some works where planned (i did'nt remembered) on my internet line during the night.
    So i had to try to sleep on my bed with my eyes staying open and wait. lol

It's 07.55 am and i'm awake till earlier this morning to have a ride.

Woaw, i'm like a kid! Awesome! !!

Congrats and.. thank you so much bro!

Cheers.srrRRRoooooaarrrrrrrrrr...Plop.....RRROOOOOAAAAAAWWWW... (Sorry a car just get out of the pit.. lol)

ps : As Doddy said, we will do the ai blance also on talent files when all cars are done so be patient, it's still wip ;)

doddynco and Petethepawn like this.
  14. Petethepawn

Petethepawn Registered

Awesome - love the Williams

doddynco likes this.
  15. buzz hornet

buzz hornet Registered

Driving the Williams to the Benetton is so different - as it should be. The Williams is more refined, easier to drive (in comparison), the Benetton is raw and wild with the BMW engine. Great job, counting the days to see the JPS Lotus of Senna :)
    And the tracks really bring back the nostalgia of the era.

Lars, doddynco and Rui Santos like this.
  16. EmperorOfFinland

I was testing the Mclaren and the understeer even on stock setup is greatly improved. the car would easily manage the same corner now with a small lift on entry and overall you can turn much more with fronts before they overheat. The car also feels much more nimble since it no longer terminally oversteers at speeds. its really pleasant to drive now!

17. doddynco

doddynco Registered

Great to hear mate. If I remember right, it was just 10nm off the front springs, 10mm of the front ride height. Stiffer front and rear roll bar, and one notch increased front wing, less diff lock on coast.

In addition the Mclaren now runs one notch higher default race boost. So that's great to hear that the issue is gone even with the entry speed increase.

18. EmperorOfFinland

Well it does understeer just a bit at the very entry but you can easily stop it now by quick lift and then apply it back after that instead of understeering off at full throttle after the apex.

19. doddynco

doddynco Registered

I can live with that. The fuel load and track conditions can change the car balance in a huge way, so if it is that close with the default setup on an aero dependent high speed circuit, then that's ok.

20. EmperorOfFinland

Jup its more than manageable. the Williams does not even suffer from this basically at all.