Rennsport (Game) use physic construction from rFactor2

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by haunetal1990, Sep 30, 2023.

1. Lazza

Lazza Registered

rFactor 2, and the physics engine it's built on, may be different things in terms of what S397/MSG has exclusive access to. I wouldn't rule out ISI retaining ownership of the engine they built when they offloaded the rF2 product. But I wouldn't have a clue, either.

2. Darwin Jones

Darwin Jones Registered

I said and thought the same. I said to friends while driving in the beta, that it feels closest to rf2 in comparison to other Sims - without the good FFB and lot of other things to improve. :D

oikworld and shovas like this.
  3. Bernat

Bernat Registered

It's clear from the Studio 397 statement. ISI licensed the rFactor 1 engine (isiMotor2), but Studio 397 is the sole owner of the rFactor 2 engine (isiMotor2.5).

It's the use of the term "ISI Technology" that is intriguing to me. I've searched the term and I've found a company with the same name but not related with simracing at all. Should we guess they're using isiMotor2? This contradicts their claims that their game wouldn't be based on old technologies. Well, they've already contradicted themselves when saying they were developing it from scratch, so maybe once more.

4. Seven Smiles

Seven Smiles Registered

Dumb of Rennsport not to at least change the names of the parameters slightly so it wasn’t quite so blatantly obvious. They might have got away with it then.

5. juanchioooo

juanchioooo Registered

I think that if they have not yet been reported it is because they have not sold anything yet.
    They have only been warned of what is coming

6. Myrvold

Myrvold Registered

That I can believe. When I visit a sim center here where I live, I know it's going to be "normal" sims bought on Steam.
    What made me a bit disappointed was that it was a pro-level development place I visited, where they took good money from real life racers, coached them etc. not talking club-level drivers either, but high levels. At least one who would later go on to race F1. No wonder why I expected rFpro!

7. haunetal1990

haunetal1990 Registered

Here are some new Screenshots from "copy & paste" from the tire model.
    Example: Dunlop
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Download link to the original rF2 TGM file = link

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    1:1 code from the year 2016.

Attached Files:

8. Frederick Alonso

Frederick Alonso Registered

:rolleyes:

Last edited: Oct 9, 2023
  9. Havner

Havner Registered

Out of curiosity, why is that? It can't be licensed to show in public? E.g. it's just for professional research, or similar?

10. Felix Schendel

Felix Schendel Registered

I'm no expert in this case but as far as I understood they licensed the ISI Motor Engine from ISI. Which for my understanding ist the version 2.0 which was used for rF1 and so on. ISI Motor Engine 2.5 is the one which is used by rF2 and which is the one which belongs to MSG and can't be licensed by any third party.

As far as I remember are the tbc files the tire data files for rF1 (isiMotor 2.0) and are used for the AI in rF2 (isiMotor 2.5) because of the more simple and less CPU hungry physics. The .tgm files are the one which the player uses in rF2 and these files are advanced .tbc files.

So could it be that this values comes from the .tbc files which might be included in the engine which Rensport licensed?

P.S. I'm not trying to defent them. I'm just intrested in this case.

Frederick Alonso and Bernat like this.
  11. Marocco2

Marocco2 Registered

From the tyre database page:
    Code:
    https://docs.studio-397.com/developers-guide/files/6160387/6160389/1/1521384556000/D_200-580-R15x8_CM004_Slick_2017.tgm
    Code:
    is unix epoch time stamp, which translates to
    Code:
    Sun Mar 18 2018 14:49:16 GMT+0000
    Unless there was this very tyre in rF1 code (which I doubt) before the first appearance on the database (2017 but certainly 2018), Rennsport downloaded it from that webpage

haunetal1990 and Havner like this.
  12. Frederick Alonso

Frederick Alonso Registered

The CEO of Rennsport also is telling in one of the videos that they will make the best mods official content so a modder can get his commission on the new DLC sales. While great; I wonder what will happen if for example modder A takes a car from B and then A has released it. In that case I would ask proof of work where you see people doing things from scratch or a video to double-check the modeling progress. Conversions will not suit this model in other words. Maybe in his world he believes that mods like the ones from rF2 can make his game like a second AC but then more official. This concept if done right is very good news in some way as "modders are mostly in a grey area" (CEO Rennsport his words).

Last edited: Oct 9, 2023
    haunetal1990 and Rui Santos like this.
  13. haunetal1990

haunetal1990 Registered

14. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

It's literally only available to automotive manufacturers. It's basically a software engine. No sim center is going to have a team of software engineers and vehicle developers to work on it, as would be needed.

The tracks that are released for it are even licensed for strictly non-commercial use, and therefore can't be in a game of any kind.

Havner likes this.
  15. 88mphTim

They appear to be struggling with the engine somewhat, which isn't that big of a surprise. Not least because the engine they appear to have started with isn't seemingly rF1, isn't seemingly rF2... It appears to be a work-in-progress version of what a genius like Terence Groening was still working to improve. IMHO it might have been better to try to integrate rF1 instead for that reason of stability.

16. Marcel Offermans

Marcel Offermans Registered

I doubt that would have been easier as rF1 is only available for 32 bit systems and converting that code to work on 64 bit systems, with modern C++ compilers is a major undertaking for a team that is not intimately familiar with that codebase.

azaris and Seven Smiles like this.
  17. 88mphTim

Yeah, I suppose. I just wonder how much incomplete code (needing revisions, I suppose) is involved at any and every point inbetween rF1 and rF2.