Released GT3 Update and (v1) BOP

Discussion in 'News & Notifications' started by Paul Jeffrey, Feb 7, 2023.

1. shiet

shiet Registered

Hats of to the sound guys! :)

Bernat likes this.
  2. Eletur

Eletur Registered

Yes, throttle position is not (necessarily) the same as pedal position. From Wikipedia:

"In cars with electronic throttle control (also known as "drive-by-wire"), an electric actuator controls the throttle linkages and the accelerator pedal connects not to the throttle body, but to a sensor, which outputs a signal proportional to the current pedal position and sends it to the ECU. The ECU then determines the throttle opening based on the accelerator pedal's position and inputs from other engine sensors such as the engine coolant temperature sensor.

When the driver presses on the accelerator pedal, the throttle plate rotates within the throttle body, opening the throttle passage to allow more air into the intake manifold, immediately drawn inside by its vacuum. Usually a mass airflow sensor measures this change and communicates it to the ECU. The ECU then increases the amount of fuel injected by the injectors in order to obtain the required air-fuel ratio. Often a throttle position sensor (TPS) is connected to the shaft of the throttle plate to provide the ECU with information on whether the throttle is in the idle position, wide-open throttle (WOT) position, or somewhere in between these extremes.

Throttle bodies may also contain valves and adjustments to control the minimum airflow during idle. Even in those units that are not "drive-by-wire", there will often be a small solenoid driven valve, the Idle Air Control Valve (IACV), that the ECU uses to control the amount of air that can bypass the main throttle opening to allow the engine to idle when the throttle is closed."

Furthermore, modern sequential transmissions, control the ECU to automatically "blip" (rev-matching) on downshifts, or to cut throttle on upshifts. So, you shouldn't need to blip yourself on downshifts as you don't need to get of the power upon upshifts. Most modern sequential transmission have settings for how much throttle position is allowed upon downshifting, and if it is over the configured threshold then ignition or fuel is automatically cut until the engine is in an decelerating state in order to be able to unlink the gear for the downshift.

Interesting (technical) read: https://repository.tudelft.nl/islan...e83-8f4e-0142ee785ce5/datastream/OBJ/download

Last edited: Feb 17, 2023
    Highlandwalker and JanTer68 like this.
  3. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

And the arguments against the Downshift Protection update keep deflating like a Hobby Club Balloon in front of a F-22.

4. JanTer68

JanTer68 Registered

God, how childish...

5. Eletur

Eletur Registered

I don't think that is childish at all. DSP is inherent to having a modern sequential transmission with many fail-safes: If the conditions cannot be changed in the least amount of time, then a shift request is rejected. Maybe, the implementation could be refined (by automatically cutting power if you are over the "on throttle" threshold value), but personally I am totally satisfied with it and do not have any issues with it (also not in the older version with 0% throttle allowance). You just need to adapt, when coming from an older type of sequential transmission that needs blipping in order to prevent the back wheels to lock up.

6. JanTer68

JanTer68 Registered

I meant post from davehenry

7. Eletur

Eletur Registered

Me too ;-)

8. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

I thought the article explained the current behavior of the DSP almost exactly. So rather than the whole thing being WRONG, it is we must learn what is RIGHT. Childish? ok....pphhhhhhhllllppphhhh!!!!

9. JanTer68

JanTer68 Registered

That's the kind of answer I expected from the "experts" here. In vain. Thanks very much.

10. JanTer68

JanTer68 Registered

Yes. A reaction like this is just childish.

11. Eletur

Eletur Registered

Your welcome!

Personally, I found the sentence "deflating like a Hobby Club Balloon in front of a F-22" rather funny

12. JanTer68

JanTer68 Registered

I have NEVER claimed that the DSP is wrong. I just wanted to know (from the start) why is GT3 DSP different than GTE DSP in rF2 and DSPs in other sims. But...

Maarten Nauta likes this.
  13. Eletur

Eletur Registered

That is something I also don't know (and it shouldn't be so different between those two classes, unless the devs configured other thresholds for the GTE, or rewrote the DSP system for GT3 - which I do not believe). I have been playing a lot of GTE recently, and did not notice so much difference for the new GT3. We have to remember that is all "sims", that means that reality is simulated ("nearing" reality in a way that is possible to execute on a PC and under budget constraints), Other devs/games just use a different approach/implementation (or have other bugets ).

Last edited: Feb 17, 2023
    JanTer68 likes this.
  14. caterkiller

caterkiller Registered

Didn't read the 19 pages so sorry in advance if it has already been reported, but there are some bugs with the motion blur, specially when it's on even in cockpit.

Test on Daytona with a Bentley, I suppose it might happen too on other cars.

You can clearly see a ghost effect in front of the car.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Very visible here :

[​IMG]

The most annoying problem is on the onboard mirror screen which is totally unusable.

[​IMG]

Here are my graphical settings if it can help :

[​IMG]

Coutie likes this.
  15. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Regardless of your intention, and subsequent acceptance of any arguments/information, I think you should reconsider your degree of conviction on things you don't have solid data for. I assume you don't have the 992 yourself (or I certainly hope not), so for the sake of information I just did another test (2 mins this time), and was able to shift down at 29% throttle. (fun fact: the auto-blip bumped it up to 40% during the shift. Fun fact #2: I have auto-blip [the aid] disabled, so this is the car itself)

In terms of car control, IF the car (let's say GT3, so we're on-topic) stops you keeping ~20% throttle on a downshift, and you need that throttle for the car balance, then you drive the track in a way that you don't need to downshift at that point. This is circuit racing - you learn the track, and you learn how to drive the car on the track. You short-shift when you need to, you change gears in a manner that suits the track, etc. That's part of the skill of driving.

I think too often there's a "This is how I drive, and it's wrong that the car won't let me" attitude. That's not directed at you @Andregee (I can see you didn't jump on that bandwagon, but were merely asking the question about DSP), but I hope you can understand the point anyway.

16. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

The ghost image has been noted before. I don't recall folks mentioning the mirror though.

17. MarcG

MarcG Registered

Motion blur bug with VR, confirmed use in RC and default installation (i.e. not using OpenXR Toolkit). If it happens during practice I can quit back to the Race menu then get back in the car and it's ok, if it happens when I enter a Race then I can't get rid of it and have to quit right back to the main menu.
    [​IMG]

18. Dakhir

Dakhir Registered

Bug de flou de mouvement égal à la visière du casque.

Attached Files:

19. herve

herve Registered

Since the implementation of the protection for the shifting of gears each time I miss a gear it closes the display of my Simhub screen, it returns to the start page (but the application still works). Has anyone encountered this problem as well ?

20. r00b Driver

r00b Driver Registered

Nope sorry - never had this issue!