Wet track grip dynamics in rF2

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by coasting&cruising, Jan 14, 2023.

Tags:
  1. coasting&cruising

coasting&cruising Registered

Are wet track grip dynamics, as discussed in this video, simulated in rF2?

The thing about finding the racing line with most grip (which is different from a dry track and changes dynamically as track wetness evolve) seems not be fully there yet in rF2 (or any other sim).

For instance, in some past F1 races under the rain, some drivers emerged as particularly skillful in understanding quickly which are the fastest lines around a track (with laptimes even seconds faster than other drivers). This doesn't seem to happen in rF2 races.

2. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Track wetness/dampness was adjusted in one of the builds last year, so that (unlike previously) the rubbered line no longer still provides more grip when wet. The balance varies depending how wet the track is, but on low-medium wetness the less rubbered part does give (slightly) more grip.

In theory the track roughness can vary in different sections (ie the used racing line can be smoother, and give comparatively less grip when wet) but I don't know how well that works in practice or how often it's actually done. (I don't think I've seen a community track maker confirm tests that showed a good effect in this area)

The surface roughness should be the main factor in this, and I think this is why tracks like Interlagos are highlights for the effect (in F1). Very often in the wet (in F1) the 'karting line' isn't appreciably faster. With only the rubber effect apparently currently in operation in rF2 it's possible the balance is still too skewed in favour of the normal racing line, but it's probably also wrong to expect the karting line to be faster at all times in wet conditions.

PS I probably should have watched the video, but thought it important to let you know where rF2 is at (to my knowledge) and I guess I probably covered most of what's in there anyway.

3. Lizardfolk

Lizardfolk Registered

I looked through rF2's session settings but I'd there anything in rF2 where you can start a track thats not green? As in a line has been rubbered in already? I'm not finding it in the session creation for some reason.

4. Miquel Ramos

Miquel Ramos Registered

It depends on track. Some tracks haven't got any rubbered line while other offer "Low", "Medium", "Heavy" and "saturated" options in Real Road together with green in every session. You can generate a file to save a track state in tracks with only green, so first time load track with many AI and save file while you want. Also, if you are in a server with a rubbered track, you can save a file and load this one in another one-player session

5. Lazza

Lazza Registered

If it's still the same as it used to be, you have to select Scripted weather in order to set the realroad starting state.

Emery likes this.
  6. Lizardfolk

Lizardfolk Registered

Bless, thank you both. Hearing this makes me more excited to launch my rF2 again. Always wanted a "wet line" to be a real thing in sims.