Amd drivers

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by carl thompson, Dec 29, 2022.

1. carl thompson

carl thompson Registered

Hi has any one found a work around for the amd driver issue where certain tracks crash when loaded i have a 6700 and can not go back to older drivers as they dont work .

2. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

SOME users have found success with the latest driver, but using medium or below graphic settings.

3. Owen Pyrah

Owen Pyrah Registered

I came here looking for info on how to get more log granularity. The log files I can find only exist where the session loads. But I've found certain car and track combos do not work.

For example I cannot use the Formula Pro at Silverstone GP. But I can use another car at this track and I can use the Formula Pro on another track. And this week I cannot use the LFM rookies Porsche 718 GT4 at Red Bull Ring.

I have deleted my rF2 directory and am in the process of re-installing everything for testing later. Hoping that maybe it's just some random setting or plugin I've had sat around for years.

Carl, where did you see that it may be AMD driver related?

4. Owen Pyrah

Owen Pyrah Registered

I know this is a sort of old thread, but just updating in case anyone else comes looking. I did my full clean install of rF2 and same issue. I uninstalled (Windows Add/Remove Programs) AMD Software (which was the latest AMD Pro) and installed a fresh 22.5.1 Adrenalin driver. Then that seemed to do the trick. I've only tested it with a single combo that previously failed, but I believe whatever issue there was is now resolved.

5. Goanna

Goanna Registered

This issue has been around for a little while now, link below is to a thread started back in October last year, but in Carl’s case it doesn’t work because his card doesn’t support v22.5.1.
    https://forum.studio-397.com/index....-track-loading-completion-with-amd-gpu.72813/

Owen Pyrah likes this.
  6. Owen Pyrah

Owen Pyrah Registered

A
    Ah thanks for the original source. My card is a 6700XT and I just installed 22.5.1 ok. I think the drivers also support the non XT version so Carl should be ok.

7. Lazza

Lazza Registered

They don't unfortunately. There's a page which says it's got those drivers for the 6700 but the link is the next version.

8. Owen Pyrah

Owen Pyrah Registered

Oh if the link is wrong could you not just select the dropdown for the 6700 XT?

9. Owen Pyrah

Owen Pyrah Registered

Here, you can try this: https://www.amd.com/en/support/grap.../amd-radeon-6700-series/amd-radeon-rx-6700-xt
    But select the 22.5.1 version, not the first one: upload_2023-1-16_11-30-4.png

I had a 100% problem again yesterday and thought maybe it wasn't the solution. Then I realised that Windows Update had updated the display driver without me knowing. So I had to uninstall and reinstall the AMD driver from the link above, while also putting no on this setting.
    https://www.tomshardware.com/news/how-to-stop-automatic-driver-updates-windows
    Basically TLDR; search for Device Installation Settings and hit No. upload_2023-1-16_11-32-33.png
    So hopefully it won't update it for me again now.

10. Goanna

Goanna Registered

He has a 6700, you linked to 6700XT, looking at the page for 6700 v22.5.1 is not available. https://www.amd.com/en/support/grap.../amd-radeon-rx-6700-series/amd-radeon-rx-6700

11. Owen Pyrah

Owen Pyrah Registered

12. Goanna

Goanna Registered

That’s the problem 22.5.1 does not work for the 6700, there’s another thread around here where the user tried that and got an error about not being compatible.

13. Owen Pyrah

Owen Pyrah Registered

Ah ok sorry.

14. Goanna

Goanna Registered

15. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

His 6700 is a cut down lite version and that might be why the older drivers do not work. I have to admit, I have never really seen a driver that wasn't, at least in some respect, compatible with newer hardware. I would expect possibly some features not to work, but the basic architecture of the hardware(you would think) should be similar.

16. Owen Pyrah

Owen Pyrah Registered

Ah yeah just seen that. Looks like a strange card doesn't it.

Maybe still worth a shot then Carl. On the off chance you don't have a weird card. The release notes for the driver (https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/release-notes/rn-rad-win-22-5-1) list the GPU as being supported:
    upload_2023-1-16_14-43-37.png

Having said that, I'm not sure Carl is coming back.

17. Daniel Erstling

Daniel Erstling Registered

There was a workaround in the Discord, quite a few time back, for newer drivers (> 22.5.1).
    You have to disable all the global optimizations in the driver, which can be found on the cogwheel -> graphics -> scroll down to "Advanced".

There, you change things like I've done in the screenshot in the attachment.
    After doing so, reset your shader cache in the driver aswell, you can also do so for rF2 (which means clearing the cbash folder).

That way rF2 has been stable so far for me with 22.10.2.
    As far as I know it might still be possible to get a CTD in very rare circumstances. Currently doing some practice for some events and also a bit of LFM and not had any issues (but running a 6800XT).

Attached Files:

ThomasJohansen and Owen Pyrah like this.
  18. Owen Pyrah

Owen Pyrah Registered

Ah that's interesting. I don't use any of those settings anyway. Don't they only affect DX9?

Do you use AMD Chill? That's the only setting I do use.

19. Daniel Erstling

Daniel Erstling Registered

For rF2 I don't use chill, but for some other games, I do. So usually I enable it for the games where I want to cap my frames (AMS2 for example).

I've capped my frames for rF2 aswell, but this can be done in the player.json as far as I remember, and usually that's my prefered way if a game comes with its own solution for this. Only using the driver if there is no cap frame option or it is not working correctly.

Don't know what those optimizations excatly are for. But AMD did improve performance on DX11 after 22.5.1 as far as I remember and with that, the problems for rF2 and some other games started. Credit goes to Bart on Discord who did a lot of trial and error and came up with this solutions.

Owen Pyrah likes this.
  20. Owen Pyrah

Owen Pyrah Registered

Good to know. So in my case the only 'enhancement' was AMD Chill and like you said, that can be done inside the game. Or with RTSS. Think it varies game to game whether it's best doing it inside the game or through something like Chill. I do get completely flat frametimes capping at 110 fps, but I guess I could get stable frametimes using the internal limiter too. Worth another shot probably.