The Sky... the big thing rFactor 2 has to improve

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by BlackGoku, May 18, 2017.

1. BlackGoku

BlackGoku Registered

Hello guys, I saw some videos about iRacing vs rFactor 2.

As you can see in those videos, the graphics of both simulators are closed... but the sky of iRacing completely destroys rFactor 2 and makes the graphic simulation more realistic, spectacular and immersive.

The lighting and colors are now closed with the new DX11 but the sky keeps having bad graphics.

I think rFactor 2 uses another sky system which has sky textures + cloud models, etc... to make possible the weather and some other things.

I am just going to say that an easy sky system like iRacing (just a real sky picture used as texture) makes it much more realistic and immersive.

I think this is the big thing in graphics rFactor 2 has to improve. I hope it will be improved with DX11.

As you can see in this video, the real world sky is more closed to iRacing:

See you and I hope you liked my thought.

Last edited: May 18, 2017
    Louis and Guimengo like this.
  2. muz_j

muz_j Registered

Your first 2 videos are old and out of date.
    The sky _has_ been improved in the DirectX 11 build. Refer to the attached image.
    That last comparison video with iRacing doesn't look like the same time of day to me and are you sure the version of rFactor 2 was the DX11 one - as I suspect it is not.

Attached Files:

kimbo and patchedupdemon like this.
  3. patchedupdemon

patchedupdemon Registered

Iracing now looks cartoonish compared to rf2 dx11 imo,tried iracing last night and the graphics are flat and over saturated,rf2 look the more realistic to my eye

kimbo, Badboy and Clemenca like this.
  4. stonec

stonec Registered

I doubt there is any "sky system" at all in iRacing, it's probably just a set of prepainted sky textures. That's the difference between a dynamic and static sim, it's not a fair comparison. Having said that, rF2 clouds need some work.

5. Gaboni

Gaboni Registered

I am the author of the last video (the VR comparison at suzuka).

I had to desaturate the colors of the rFactor video, because the sky was "too blue" compared to the iRacing one and it looked like a cartoon's sky.

I also think that the sky is a little bit over-saturated in rF2 (just see the screenshot thread).

But I think this is a minor issue. When you are driving all feels good, and that's the most important.

Ho3n3r, muz_j and bwana like this.
  6. patchedupdemon

There is no dynamic weather or sky box in iracing,even though they call it dynamic it's as static as can be

Ho3n3r and bwana like this.
  7. BlackGoku

BlackGoku Registered

I think that the iRacing sky is still much better than rFactor 2 DX11 you show in the screenshot.

Yes, I know iRacing doesn't have dynamic weather but the sky looks pretty nice.

Just to let you think about this... look at Assetto Corsa, the clouds are really better than rFactor 2 and closer to iRacing.

8. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

Iracing is a fixed art picture
    There is no dynamics

Rfactor2 is changing through a 24hr transition

Can't compare , sky looks great to me in rfactor2

Ho3n3r, muz_j, F1Aussie and 3 others like this.
  9. BlackGoku

BlackGoku Registered

I know and thats why I said that an easy and simple sky system like iRacing makes better graphic results than rFactor 2.

Anyway, it is possible to make this more real because you can simply look at Assetto Corsa and you will see it has dynamic weather and very beautiful sky + clouds. The same for Project CARS.

10. Flaux

Flaux Registered

I love rf2 skies. Nothing comes close to the immersion you get with these unique and real life-like cloud formations in combination with the sun and the ambient occlusion when the sun gets covered with a cloud and the ambient gets a bit dull and dark... its just great.

Never would I go back to a single cloud picture like in iracing. But that's just me.

Edit: Skycolor has been changed because people felt that rf2 in dx9 was to dull and brownish. I'm sure there will always be people that want to see it in a different color than what is at present so... I just leave it to the dev's.

muz_j, F1Aussie and bwana like this.
  11. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

So because it doesn't look as you expect they should trash actual dynamic system?
    What wouod happen when it starts raining? Slide change?

Come on!!!I can tell you in advance that a static system will not be implemented.

Ho3n3r, muz_j and bwana like this.
  12. BlackGoku

BlackGoku Registered

Ok, but real life is not like rFactor 2. Real life has a more dark blue color in the sky and the clouds are different. I think iRacing makes this 100% real.

Guimengo likes this.
  13. BlackGoku

BlackGoku Registered

We don't need a static one. You have Assetto Corsa having dynamic and has better textures. Maybe, if you don't want static, they could try to improve the clouds and textures to make closer to real life. Project CARS has dynamic weather and sky and it is much more realistic than rFactor 2.

Guimengo likes this.
  14. Flaux

Flaux Registered

To be honest, the sky in that Mercedes video looks exactly like in rf2 and not a lot like those cinematic clouds like in iracing. But each to their own.

PS: What is dynamic in AC?

Ho3n3r and F1Aussie like this.
  15. BlackGoku

BlackGoku Registered

The weather is dynamic in AC. It doesn't have rain but it has dynamic weather.

16. patchedupdemon

problem is all those games you have listed have simplified versions of weather,that's why they arguably have looked better in the past,because they concentrated on the gaming crowd,who like yourself put visuals above everything else,even if they are static and fake within the simulation
    ,rf2 has always been about the physics and always will be,and I for one hope they never changes.
    so you obviously like iracing,do you just sit in the pits staring at the sky to take your mind off of the lacklustre tyre model and physics

17. bwana

bwana Registered

I posted a real image l took on my phone a few weeks ago, was a mirror image on light cloud at 6am on hanger straight in rf2. People whinged about it looking saturated, they changed to the more realistic and people whinged now its more vibrant,guess what ? Yep people still whinging

Ho3n3r, muz_j and patchedupdemon like this.
  18. BlackGoku

BlackGoku Registered

The rFactor 2 weather just gives you rain... Because it doesn't have working temperatures for the track (just showing but dont affecting the car)... So... well, I think that it doesnt give anything related to physics at this momment, just the rain.

19. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

Things appear different on YouTube too

I never really liked the skies in iracing , lighting is flat no appearance of shine through or dynamic atmosphere ( subtle haze/dust in air ) , AC in cockpit view is worse than iracings imo
    ( AC looks brill in replays though)

Try rf2 line rock park 6.30am with time x10 for demo -set sky to cycle through clouds to clear to heavy overcast

20. BlackGoku

BlackGoku Registered

Well, I just compared this with real life... Maybe you can like more the colors of rFactor 2 but if you look to real life, the sky is more dark and clouds are more like iRacing. Its just how the real life is.

Guimengo likes this.