The Sky... the big thing rFactor 2 has to improve

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by BlackGoku, May 18, 2017.

1. Will Mazeo

Will Mazeo Registered

From the lens of a camera it will never be as I see it with my own eyes :)
    that's where I live (I mean.. not in this exact apartment, close to there xD)
    [​IMG]

2. boxer

boxer Registered

rf2 looks nothing like that. your horizon is blue rf2 is cyan.

Guimengo likes this.
  3. Will Mazeo

Will Mazeo Registered

Looks closer than the purple stuff you made tho :p that's why I said people always see this stuff different, it's a running in cycle thread, always happen and never goes anywhere :D

4. boxer

boxer Registered

the reason it rarely goes anywhere is because many believe post like this are just done to trash rF2 when it's the contrary. The original poster has a point too. Regarding my photo I have original raw file and with full control of the WB... you are welcome to review it if you like.

some are just to sensitive to any rF2 criticism...

5. boxer

boxer Registered

what PP did you use in the photo?

6. Lazza

Lazza Registered

@boxer I don't know the real source of this, it was one of the first google image results for 'unpolarised sky photo':

[​IMG]
    Purportedly shows the effects of a polarising filter on the right, vs unpolarised on the left. In case that wasn't obvious to anyone :p

Not making any hard statements here, just putting something up for discussion.

7. Alex72

Alex72 Registered

IMO sky has too much green in it where it looks pretty tropical. Tone done the green a bit so the horizon is more white/very light blue and up to a blue above would look more natural. Of course, depends where you are and how you see things. Having worked with graphics for so long you get used to palettes you see often. If it was me i would tone the green down a bit. Its a nit-pick, but still. :)

8. stonec

stonec Registered

Well as you can see @Lazza posted two pictures showing the same sky with a different camera filter, and the results are dramatically different. So IMO this photo comparison is a bit pointless. rF2 also has a lot of post-processing and things going on that will inadvertently alter the sky as well, so basically you are comparing a post-processed sky in rF2 with a camera processed sky from real life. Plus things like track latitude/longitude, height above sea level, etc., all impact how the sky looks in rF2. You can try playing around with these parameters in dev mode editor, it's pretty complex how it works and the result changes with each track.

WiZPER likes this.
  9. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

New rF2 parameter please:
    ClearSkyRGB: (xxx,yyy,zzz)
    It is clear despite whatever S397 does, about half the community will disagree on it. This conversation is futile.
    It is pretty much like the "whose fault is it?" There are some aspects where you will never find a consensus.

Solution: leave it up to the user. Whoever wants to change the default values let him do so.. I guess somewhere in the code it is defined the colour of the sky so that it doesn't appear red or pink.

peterchen and bwana like this.
  10. Alex72

Alex72 Registered

Searching online for sky or sky + horizon i get 95% of the color i see outside my window which is blue (up top) fading down to very light blue/white at the horizon. Only very few images comes up with the blue (up top) down to a green/turquoise horizon like in rF2 DX11. Sure people will differ on opinion but the sky really can be wrong when you make it *yourself*, lol. :)

11. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

Here is what I see? Looks realistic to me. IMG_20170521_112705.jpg IMG_20170521_112539.jpg

12. Alex72

Alex72 Registered

Yeah thats more normal, SPASKIS.

More normal:
    [​IMG]

rFactor2 DX11 is more like this with the turquoise/green mix at horizon:
    [​IMG]

I have to add that the first image which is more natural everyone doesnt have to agree exactly on the blue tone above (the dominant color) but how it fades to the horizon is what is more important. It should mix towards white instead of green/turquoise. Thats my point.

mike.m, Ozzy and SPASKIS like this.
  13. patchedupdemon

patchedupdemon Registered

My god what are people monitors set up like if they are seeing purple and green in the sky,did any of you reporting this try adjusting your monitors colour settings,mine are all standard and I see no hint of green or blue

David Kolody and F1Aussie like this.
  14. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

A screenshot is independent from monitor callibration

Guimengo likes this.
  15. Will Mazeo

Will Mazeo Registered

Nah, it goes nowhere because in the end it stays as the dev wants, if they want to change it happens it not it doesn't (from what I've seen most time it doesn't). And that happens in any game, no need to take it as "oh poor rF2 being criticized" lol :D and I'm not sensitive to rF2 criticism, I go hard on it many times, especially about basic stuff that makes the average user need a programing bachelor degree to use lol and right now DX11 has been a bit "meh" to me
    I guess we just gotta agree to disagree :)

Last edited: May 21, 2017
  16. hitm4k3r

hitm4k3r Registered

Might just be that the sky gradient needs some adjustments with the new tone mapper, wich is not a priority right now. So relax and wait until the optimization is on a level that we can start to worry about horizon colours - that said, I liked the DX9 sky more, but the rest of the image was kind of dull. Might be that there is a overhaul of the weather system planned down the road.

Alex72 and F1Aussie like this.
  17. Will Mazeo

Will Mazeo Registered

I hope this too :)

F1Aussie likes this.
  18. boxer

boxer Registered

This is beta and if there ever was a time for conversation this is it and not when we gone full release #2. so I strongly disagree with the thinking that we should stay quite and accept it.

Also in the end if S397 believes we don't have a point then they will just ignore us.
    Either way I don't see the downside.

peterchen and Guimengo like this.
  19. Miro

Miro Registered

Just figured Driveclub uses truesky sooo maybe ...:eek:

20. Alex72

Alex72 Registered

Well, the other sims and photos look more natural so i dont think its setup horribly wrong. Maybe you are color blind though, ey? :D Im kidding.