The Sky... the big thing rFactor 2 has to improve

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by BlackGoku, May 18, 2017.

1. Coutie

Coutie Moderator Staff Member

It would be nice to have some puffy clouds instead of just flat ones, but I don't know how possible it would be. I think it's been mentioned before that they would like to do different types of clouds.

2. BlackGoku

BlackGoku Registered

First of all... I am f.... tired some guys like you start saying "then go Assetto or iRacing if you think they are better".

Are you ....... or what? I love rF2, I drive rF2 and I just want it to improve some things because it would be better. Better for me, better for you and better for all, thats all.

Am I talking about Assetto Corsa or IRacing? NO, I am talking about rFactor 2 and I am using rFactor 1, Automobilista, Assetto Corsa or iRacing to explain some features it misses that could be implemented in order to have a more realistic simulator.

And NO, you are not right. I said "track temperatures doesn't affect the car" and I am 100% right. The track temperatures doesn't affect the car physics at this momment and it is a 100% true statement. If you don't believe me, then search some info or try yourself to race with 60º and -50º and you will see the physics are the same. You have been talking about the rain, the real road, the flatspots, and bla bla bla bla.
    Yes, I know rFactor 2 is a dynamic simulator but the weather... it doesnt have any effect if you are cloudy or you are sunny, it just affects the car if it starts to rain because track temperatures ARE NOT WORKING.

STOP talking about real road or flatspots because they are not part of the Weather, if you understeand Weather as Clouds, Sky, Rain, Temperatures, Wind...

Thats all.

RoboCAT10, gor, Gaboni and 1 other person like this.
  3. BlackGoku

BlackGoku Registered

No, it doesn't affect the track surface, at least the track temperatures, something that is working in rFactor 1 like the tire punctures and thats why I say it could be implemented.

Yes, you are right, as I said iRacing uses a background as a sky and thats why I said "iRacing uses a simple sky system".
    But I didn't say this to make you think that I want iRacing sky system in rFactor 2. I just said it as a comparison and so rFactor 2 should make improvements in the sky to make better clouds and sky colors.

4. Rastas

Rastas Registered

When i drive i dont care about clouds,not even IRL,this is a racing simulator,not a cloud simulator,is a thing that was no point to be ultra mega realistic............

gor, dylbie and MarcG like this.
  5. muz_j

muz_j Registered

Chill the fark out douche and try communicating properly. You're the one who started making grand comparisons to other products.
    I'm not going to bother replying to rest the of your rant.
    Post your comments and requests appropriately...
    .,..p.s. go fark yourself :)

Navigator likes this.
  6. Miro

Miro Registered

IMO a valid request. The sky textures/box, you call it, has improoved with with the latest update. However it could be better considering it is covering at least half of the screen most of the time and it does indeed contribute a lot to the atmosphere, especially the immersion and depth of the picture. That said I rather have the current dynamic system than a static hdr picture.
    On the other hand what we have now I hope gets some improvements.

There was an old thread where feels3 simply demonstrated with a photoshoped comparisson the difference it makes.
    Can't find it.

And then there is stuff like this but not sure how usefull or if at all it would be in rf2 etc. Just waving hands a bit aswell :D
    https://simul.co/main/truesky/

Last edited: May 22, 2017
    ECAR_Tracks likes this.
  7. BlackGoku

BlackGoku Registered

Que pesado el fanboy este... a tomar por culo, el puto guiri...

8. BlackGoku

BlackGoku Registered

Ok... It is your point of view. My point of view is that I want realistic physics but also the most realistic graphics as possible because it makes you more immersion and makes you feel you are in the car with a more % of realism.

If not... then I could ask you why we went to DX11? Well, we went to DX11 to improve graphics... So, its an important thing.

We all want driving physics, but we also want graphics. I think its what all normal people think...

9. BlackGoku

BlackGoku Registered

Yeah, with DX11 Studio 397 can make a lot of improvements. I hope they improve the Sky too :)

10. patchedupdemon

patchedupdemon Registered

If stating a fact makes me childish then so be it,your post is irony at its finest,you been saving that one waiting for a chance to use it,lol

11. hitm4k3r

hitm4k3r Registered

Wow, that escalated quickly. :D

I think it's a valid request, just the comparisons are a bit wierd. Nevertheless, to each his own.

12. Flaux

Flaux Registered

Well...if I want something to become better, I don't make comparisons to something a lot worse... If we start like that, we end up with rf1 and then,...well then the answer is valid: Go play these other games before you try to break something unique and new and make it worse.

In my book, the only valid optimization would be something from a flight sim or pcars. And that is quite the effort.

13. Woodee

Woodee Registered

Why is it not comparing the sky to real life? That is what it is trying to simulate right? rF2 isn't trying to simulate another simulation!

14. BlackGoku

BlackGoku Registered

Are you crazy or what? I am not the developer so I can't try to break "something unique and new and make it worse".

I just did a little comparison about how good the Sky can look. I don't care about the systems they use, thats something related to the developers, I just said that Sky should be improved to make a more immersive experiencie.

If you are going to say all the time "iracing shit, iracing shit, iracing shit".... Well, then you have Project CARS pretty nice sky looking better than iRacing and rFactor 2.

15. BlackGoku

BlackGoku Registered

Going to finish this embarrasing discusion.

When I see this:

I just feel better with the left sky. It looks more real. Does it mean rFactor 2 has to use the same sky system? NO!!!
    I just said that rFactor 2 could make improvements in the sky color (should be more dark) and also in the clouds shadows, realism or the system.

And finally, to finish this, a video of Project CARS:

Sunny sky starts at min 2:30. As you can see, the clouds and sky color are more real.

And thats all... thats all I wanted to say in this post. I just wanted to wish some improvements in the sky to make it more real and more immersive.

RoboCAT10, Guimengo and Flaux like this.
  16. CamiloNino

CamiloNino Registered

The sky color is not the same around the world, not even in the same place. It is affected by humidity, pollution, temperature, latitude, altitude, time of day, time of the year and other factors. Your brain even adjusts the color based on your environment without you noticing. You cant just say "The sky should be darker" because that would be wrong for many parts of the world. The sky doesn't have a single "right" tone or color. The sky may be darker where you live but you cant just assume it is the same way everywhere else.

Maybe the dynamic sky model in RF2 could be improved. There is academic research on how to model and simulate the sky radiance and colors, you can google things like the Perez or Preetham models and see how complex this stuff can get (I did some research in sky radiance simulation in college for a solar energy project, just an example of the tons of different research in this field here: http://cgg.mff.cuni.cz/projects/SkylightModelling/Hosek_SG_2012_Presentation.pdf ) but I doubt something that complex can be used in a real time simulation where good performance is paramount, you will have to simplify your model at some point, and that comes at the cost of realism.

So maybe a simplified model can be implemented to improve realism in the dynamic sky (they probably already have one implemented). But Studio 397 has limited resources and this stuff is not easy to implement, and honestly, If I were them, considering everything that should/could be improved in rf2, improving the sky color would be way, waaaaaaaaaay down my priorities list. I would put it in a "nice to have when everything else works perfectly" list.

Last edited: May 19, 2017
    RoboCAT10, andrea_274, MarcG and 2 others like this.
  17. 3NPV5IRR

3NPV5IRR Registered

I am ok with the quality of clouds and sunlights, but the overall color of the sky became too unrealistic with DX11. Too much green and blue and not enough red in RGB pattern. The sky color looked more realistic in DX9 version. I have IPS matrix and my monitor is just behind the window, so I usually see the sky in tthe monitor in comparison with real one. So color distorsion makes me sad. I really hope S397 address the issue at some point.

18. MarcG

MarcG Registered

What race track do you live in then? As said already the sky isn't the same on given day in the same location let alone somewhere else in the world.
    People really need to open their eyes more to the bigger picture and not just what they see through their window.

19. Rastas

Rastas Registered

Loool,unrealistic sky,like if RF2 is a flight sim........some guys dont have anything to do then cry about things that is OK,rFactor2 sky is great deal it.
    And if anyone want real skys and bla bla bla starting making you own game and leave this please.

Ho3n3r and kimbo like this.
  20. 3NPV5IRR

3NPV5IRR Registered

Well, MarkG.
    The situation is the same in any track I tested so far including new Silverstone, Sepang as well as other custom-made tracks.
    I visited several countries in Asia, Russia, Europe. I saw F1 on TV for several years. In addition, ISI, iRacing made probably the pictures of the sky in US. In generall ignoring clouds and considering just clear sunny day at say 14:00, the color of the sky in all cases (real in different parts of the world, iRacing, Automobilista, RRRE, AssettoCorsa, RF2 with DX9) is more or less the same. It could be lighter or darker but the overall white balance is similar (plus-minus). The only exception is current DX11 beta.
    And off cource I understand that the colour of the sky depends on many things. Believe it or not I saw it blue, red, yellow, orange, gray and black.;) I know that very seldom in specific conditions one could see the sun shining with light green. Newertheless at summer noon without clouds, seteris paribus the tone is very similar all over the world.