So....who has PCars?

Discussion in 'Other Games' started by msportdan, May 7, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jamie Shorting

Jamie Shorting Registered

Last time I tried it the FFB in some cars was really good, never understood the pCars hate in that department. Not worth full price though, will add it to my wishlist and wait for the Steam sales.

2. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Lol :) I think you may have misunderstood my post, I mean, OK, it's a "sim", but I wouldn't put it in an industrial professional environment. For me, the only sim-engines with the vehicle dynamics modelling with enough depth, "life" and seeming complexity to the vehicle behavior & movements (AKA dynamics) are - for the most part - just rFactor 2 (GSC if it wasn't for RF2) and iRacing.

Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2015
  3. buddhatree

buddhatree Registered

No track temps?
    Scripted tire wear. Weather/temps have little to no effect except for rain.
    No real road.
    Car physics are "good enough". By that I mean very few cars have a "personality". They tried to make too many cars without giving them the individual detail (physics/handling) they need.

Simcade at best. 7 out of 10.

4. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

With 80,000 members before they closed upgrades ( let alone new members + consoles ) why would they need to do a demo. ;)

If this is just to be a thread on physics, tyres, Ai

rF2
    ==

Ai - 1
    FFB - 1
    Physics - 1

AC
    ==

Ai - 3
    FFB - 3
    Physics - 2

pCars
    ====

Ai - 2
    FFB - 2
    Physics - 3

hehe p

So offline I rate pCars 1 point higher then AC in those regards.

Better cockpits, range of vehicles and tracks, career, dynamic day/weather too imo.

Simcade or not stuff like 24 Hour races with 55 cars/driver swaps would be hard enough and plenty of visual immersion. hehehe

I like the range of cars, LMP and GT ready to go, tracks as well.

5. Narrowbackwing

Narrowbackwing Registered

Nice to see this tread has not turned in to a hate tread --- I like it a lot , it's fun and can be very challenging and there still working on rift support , next update we will have direct to HMD and there trying to get 3d menu working but that not a promise :)

6. yusupov

yusupov Registered

there are track temps, but for some reason they dont show. supposedly theyre dynamic too but i havent tested this. you can check confirm w/ this -- http://www.tomshane.cz/profiler/

scripted tire wear?? maybe in career mode or something theres a tutorial thing...?? no idea what this is about

7. yusupov

yusupov Registered

i do find that a strange combination since as you kinda said theyre like driving on 2 different planets!

8. buddhatree

buddhatree Registered

What I meant by scripted tire wear: the tires seem to heat up and wear out no matter what the temps - as if they scripted to show that behavior after a certain time.

Doesn't seem to matter if it's over 100 degrees or cool and cloudy.... the tires warm up and wear out at the same "time".

9. Narrowbackwing

Narrowbackwing Registered

Just love Tom work , it's a wonderful app also dash meter pro is neat .
    [COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.701961)][​IMG][/COLOR][COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.701961)].[/COLOR]
    [COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.701961)][​IMG][/COLOR]

10. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Yes, they both are different experiences with different feel but, to me, so is every-single game/sim based on a different engine (RF2, iRacing, Netkar Pro, Project Cars, Assetto Corsa, Richard Burns Rally, etc.). The physics and FFB all are different from one-another, no doubt.

11. Superdevil

Superdevil Registered

Tried the Caper Stock Car around Watkins Glen (I couldn't find any of the ovals that were there in the pre-release versions). That thing handled like a Ferrari! Not a trace of understeer, and very little oversteer. Whoever made the default setups for it really dialed that puppy in. I haven't driven such a fine-handling stock car since Daytona USA. I don't think ISI has anything to worry about in the physics department.

The visuals on the other hand... a race in the rain with heavy fog, then throw in a little night falling? rF2 isn't even on the same planet as pCars. Absolutely stunning!

12. cosimo

cosimo Registered

This.

FFB/Physics/tyres: meh.
    Graphics: stunning.

Edit: not that I had that much time to try pCars yet, just an hour or so of driving, but you can smash the throttle in a Formula A car with cold tyres and be perfectly safe and fly away.

But I like pCars. Even if rF2 is another planet, the driving simulation (tyres/physics) is not as bad as I imagined from the early comments around the net.

Overall game is complete and polished (career mode, leaderboards, etc), quite well done.

Hate the fact you can't drive in pitlane and it's steam based.

13. Golanv

Golanv Registered

Are you drunk? pCars AI can't stay ahead of a pregnant yak, stay within track limits, and they spend as much time on their roofs as on wheels...
    FFB is lackluster without detail. No triple screen nor OR DK2 support. Bugs left and right like being first in the race and just before finish it says you are last.
    This is a released product, game gone gold after 3 delays. Sounds to me like SMS took the money and ran with it.

Some serious patching is needed before this is worth the time over rF2, AC, SCE, R3E, RBR, DiRT Rally, iRacing, and those are only sims I mentioned.
    Hopefully they didn't move too many people to pCars2 and World of Speed, so fixes gets here before xmas.

14. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

I'm not so adventurous now, really happy to stick with one to two sim titles

if I hear though that pcars was at Iracing / rf2 kind of level I'd be wanting to give it a try, no demo is a bad sign I think

same with dirt rally, Richard burns still seems to be the king so I see no point in purchasing
    (unless dirt rally gets as least as good as RBR )

15. Korva7

Korva7 Registered

Found this comment from here: http://www.reddit.com/r/simracing/comments/354818/project_cars_and_its_physics/

"I've been on board as a Senior Member with pCARS since the beginning. A lot of the early builds had great physics, but it slowly went downhill as the game got closer to release. I'm really not sure what happened, but there's a disconnect that I can't quite put my finger on. Braking distances and overall stability through the turns seems inaccurate. I find it far too easy to complete laps at full pace. I was not impressed with the build that I drove a few days ago, which is what I assume is the final product.

As far as realism, iRacing is still top tier.

As far as something to hop into and drive some badass racecars with full steering wheel support, pCARS is pretty decent.

Edit: As /u/arsenicfox stated, this is not the Sim that we were promised. Earlier builds were much more realistic."

Could it be that at some point they choosed to target the game for more casual players. Maybe money men stepped in and said that simulators doesn't make enough money.

16. yusupov

yusupov Registered

idk. its possible, it also sounds like that guys as clueless as any of us about what may or may not have happened. theres nothing in what he says but an opinion about early builds...and i dont remember much bragging about the PHYSICS of those builds...it was always screenshots, & talk about the physics being overhauled. now they are overhauled & like it, love it, or leave it. i like it quite a bit.

17. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Arguing sim-ness is always fraught with danger, seems to be more opinions than people though that shouldn't be possible and most of them wouldn't know anyway. Hard to argue with the fact ISI have been employed for many years to provide a physics engine for real race team simulators and rF2 has provided us some of the more up to date aspects of that engine, but at the end of the day people will make their own decisions about what 'feels right'. I just wish they'd place less faith in their own opinion and pay more attention to the fact none of these games is coming out and saying they provide the most realistic physics.

Ah well, gives people something to argue about I guess.

Sounds like PCars provides a decent offline experience, something the early sims still had from their arcade predecessors and I'm sure for many is lacking in some more recent titles. Even rF1 out of the box wasn't great for this. If people enjoy that then good for them.

It's a standard forum setting, based on the percentage of capital letters :)

18. Korva7

Korva7 Registered

yusupov Yes. The thing that he don't like where the physics has gone doesn't necessarily mean anything.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ya-k07jepsQ

That guy on the video said shift 1 and 2 used isi's engine, and that PCars's engine is developed from that.
    That thing also doesn't mean much. Maybe i should just buy the game to find out that is it good or not.

19. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

My experience with pCARS has always been that you need to work really hard at reducing input lag. People will swear till they are blue in the face that the input lag issues were solved in build XXX but in my testing it's impossible to fully minimize the lag even on resent builds. If you don't do some playing around to minimize the lag as much as possible it will have a very disconnected feel. I suspect a lot of the very bad opinions of this sim are actually just fighting massive input lag. Do a YouTube search for any pCARS videos where you can see the animated wheel in line with their real wheel and 9 out of 10 of them will have lag that is out of this world. Even promo videos that they have done with pro drivers display insane lag. It's hard to take a pro drivers options serious when they are provided a rig with 300ms of lag.

So for anyone that gives pCARS a shot. Take a hard look at the lag before totally writing it off. It's still not up to the levels of rF2 IMO, but it's come a long long way from the very beginning..... assuming you sort out the lag.

20. Korva7

Korva7 Registered

Any ideas on how to sort out that lag? Is maximizing framerate the only way?
    Or maybe people are playing it vsync on.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.