Wet racing is seems broken.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by JetlinerX, Apr 13, 2015.

1. JetlinerX

JetlinerX Registered

One of the only sims that offers this feature, and try as I might I still cant get it to be raceable. For such an exclusive feature, it would be nice to have it working correctly.

Dont believe me just watch:

Almost 9 minutes, to do 2 laps, and in just 2 laps the tires were totally destroyed due to the CONSTANT wheelspin. And no -- it's not a lead foot issue. Try it yourself.

You know something it wrong when the AI even have a hard time...

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 13, 2015
  2. bwana

bwana Registered

Our league ran a few races with intermittent rain(Z370 and F2) and it was very successful. Sure its not perfect by any means and obviously needs work but driving to the conditions everyone commented how good it was. Some people cant lap the MR01 in the dry so maybe a different car ?

3. JetlinerX

JetlinerX Registered

I dont usually have an issue lapping the MR01, and I set the conditions to the default "raining" setting. There is no way that wheelspin is realistic... hell, I was able to maintain similar acceleration to the AI at 1:30 in the video while I was in 5th gear, and he was wheelspinning through all the gears!

4. Jamie Shorting

Jamie Shorting Registered

The tire heats up unrealistically for a wet track IMO. Once you slide just a bit it gets too hot too quickly. I remember racing online in the wet with the Megane and everybody managed. That was quite sometime ago though.

Can't comment on the modern F1 cars, can't remember the last time I've driven them.

I've got some time right now though, for poops and giggles I'll upload a video of the same combo. One lap. :p

5. JetlinerX

JetlinerX Registered

Oh wow, nail on the head!

Just did testing in many many other cars, including mods and default content. It is totally about tire temps. They get super hot almost immediately when stressed, at which point they become unusable.

6. Jamie Shorting

Uploading a lap, now. It's definitely slower than it should be. I'm no virtuoso by any stretch but you'll see a lap of me tip toeing around.

7. JetlinerX

JetlinerX Registered

In fairness, if I used 1/16th throttle in most places I could throw together a LAP. But I wanted to do a RACING lap. ;)

8. Bjørn

Bjørn Registered

I can't wait for wet weather to recieve the work it deserves to put where it needs to be. Simple. That goes for the physics AND the visuals.

Then ISI can also market the sim for having proper wet racing.

9. Jamie Shorting

Replays look messed up. The sky is changing all over the place.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 13, 2015
  10. Empty Box

Empty Box Registered

What, you mean running around in the rain with slicks isn't how it's supposed to be done? :confused::)

(Always love that one - raining? Nah, warm slicks >>>>>>>>>> all, because.... rF2.)

Rain as it is right now is so poorly implemented and half baked you are often better off forgetting it's there for most of the time.

11. JetlinerX

JetlinerX Registered

Noticed something between our videos, I did mine on green track. That could be another reason you were able to put the power down because I wasn't able to go full throttle AT ALL. Not even on the straights, and if I tried to brake where you were... I would have to kiss my ass goodbye. Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Bjørn -- Couldn't agree more. I'd LOVE to see ISI really flesh our their wet weather and make it a proper feature they can market against everyone else, even as someone who doesn't play rF2 too much these days I'd love to see a sim finally get rain again and bring back my nKp days....

12. Minibull

Minibull Member

Brabham had new wet tyre stuff added to it, regarding cooling iirc, guess it's to do with the new tyre tech being added. Karts too as well, so they should work more normally in the rain. It would be a fair guess that all new updates would have that sort of stuff added.

13. Nazirull Safry Paijo

Nazirull Safry Paijo Registered

To me its fine. Change to wet n be easy on the pedals.

Run few laps till some dry line show up...and grip is back.

Rain stopped, more dry lines, change to slick and rubber it up...and back to normal life.

14. Minibull

Minibull Member

No, there are issues with wet weather for certain. New vehicles are starting to implement fixes though. Guess as ever, it should have been done years ago, right? XD

15. Nazirull Safry Paijo

Nazirull Safry Paijo Registered

And the addtition of early version of aquaplanning :)

16. Minibull

Minibull Member

Yes, that too haha

17. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Shouldn't your name be Box Half Empty?

To be honest I don't know if you actually know how it is 'right now'. The Marussia (from 2013) for sure won't have any of the recent additions which have made wet weather mostly useable when implemented.

And yeah, a lot of those glaring holes 'should' have been filled years ago, but they weren't. No point crying about it now, just wait for the rest to be patched up... or go somewhere else if you can't wait. No one's locked in here.

18. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

ISI with new engine / DirectX then you talking.......till then I can take or leave weather.

19. Minibull

Minibull Member

Yep, ain't that the truth. Things seem to be rolling a bit better now though. Maybe it would have been pointless to "fix" wet weather without more of a complete tyre model. And maybe it was seen as silly to continue work on the tyre model when the core of the game needed work and fixing.
    Such is the way though, fixing other "holes" lol. Funny how some seem to think any dev team sit on their hands wondering what they will have a tinker with next XD

20. Minibull

Minibull Member

But why not this engine? If we will be getting into soft terrain simulation in the long term future (with this engine), I'm sure we would have weather...