Empty Box thoughts on indy

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Thrindil, May 26, 2014.

1. Rich Goodwin

Rich Goodwin Registered

I followed that whole guide on the forums here, worked a treat and made my FFB much, much better on my G27. Still needs tweaking a little more as I still have some oscillation.

EDIT @ Adrian. The Crub et al sliders are indeed canned effects from people complaining they didn't have them. I have those effect OFF as they do nothing but piss me off and rattle my G27 to high heaven. Ahh, what I would do for a Bodnar wheel.....

2. mrsmr2

mrsmr2 Registered

At the end of the day I don't care (and can't comment on) if it's accurately modelled or not. It's boring to drive - in the same way the GT cars in AC are. EDIT: It feels very 'un rF2 like' and pretty dull, especially when compared to the FR3.5, which is great.

Also, my comment about reminding me of FM2 wasn't sarcasm.

Now, how can I transfer some of that surfeit rear end grip to the GT-R?

Last edited by a moderator: May 28, 2014
  3. K Szczech

K Szczech Registered

That's the part I don't quite get.
    If one really loves oval racing, he will not settle for a quick test with default (or close to default) setup. I'm a fan of "500" myself and the default setup is so dumb I couldn't stomach it :) Even the "racey" setup from ISI didn't prove to be competitive. I went on creating my own, more competitive setup and believe me - the experience is completely different. I could crash just by getting my left front wheel slightly below white line (not even on the curb) in corners.
    Being still unhappy with how much speed I'm able to carry through corners, I will probably have to work on car's balance even more and may end up with even less forgiving setup. Even now I cannot go outside the groove if I don't want to end up in the wall - so contrary to what EmptyBox said in his video.

That said - I'm far from passing judgement on DW12 yet. I simply don't know this car well enough at this point and neither does EmptyBox.

I guess that's the nature of reviews - users want to see them at the day of release or even before if possible. If you're doing a review you'll never have the time to get a close look and get familiar with what you're reviewing.
    You will need to put some hours into it, if you want your car to be able to clock mid 39's in qualifying runs. I've never seen a reviewer talk about such experience - they usually just talk about what they experienced fresh after install.

Last edited by a moderator: May 28, 2014
  4. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

Fully agree with Szczech, I often get the idea people only test so far and not beyond whilst rf2 and any of its content really needs allot of track-time for us to fully 'get' it. so many times already a mod has changed massively just because we used it for more then 2 or 3 days.
    Simple test, drive something you normally don't drive and keep driving it for weeks. its very likely you will start to really appreciate it once you've learned about it properly.

5. yusupov

yusupov Registered

im confused here, unless you have a very different definiton of content. rF2 actually seems fairly thin to me relative to AC & (what ive seen/read of) pCARS. include URD & that changes, but its not a game changer, so im genuinely wondering if im missing something.

fwiw im pretty sure he means all 3. iracers do love their AC though, which was cool to see coming from AC, since im pretty sure AC fanboys like to **** on everything...i have no why it attracts that element.

6. Xorak

Xorak Registered

Might be 2 many kids generated by steam. they need 2 grew up and AC needs much more tracks. Some cars just feel very wrong and boring. I would love 2 see Kunos doing (much more) laser scanning - and sell them as DLC. community tracks are great - no doubt but they cant compete with laser scanned tracks.

iRacing is strong at MP and worth the cost for anyone who likes 2 focus on MP. I think their approach 2 focus on the basics and make slow development is a good idea. First get a stable system with good performance that can handle many cars at the same time - even on older systems - with good netcode. Yeah its cool 2 have rain, tire models that supports even flat spots and all those other things ... but at the end you like 2 race and not get an "allocate memory" error. Maybe AC have found the best mix between features and stability.

As addicted 2 racing i love 2 own and drive every sim i can take serious (physics). I dont see any reason 2 diss other titles. And i dont think empty box did. In fact he did advertise and get me 2 rFactor aswell. Mainly with his vids about carting and howsten :D

7. GCCRacer

GCCRacer Banned

For historic content neither pCARS nor AC can match RF2 yet. They both have a ton of tintops, but no complete series, which thanks to URD we have two (DTM and WEC 2013). For Open-Wheelers we already have complete Formula 1 mods, not always the best tracks, but also with the other open wheel stuff we already got it's a ton of content. Not to mention the Skippy with it's home base and various other venues that are actually appropriate.

Yeah, I guess if content is counted in numbers, all three are about equal. But in RF2 by now it starts to make sense, we have enough tracks and cars to actually run somewhat realistic championships, which to me is the requirement of a simulator.

8. Golanv

Golanv Registered

That setup... GIMME!!! :p

9. Guimengo

Guimengo Guest

It's fine wanting to build a setup that nobody would run in real life because they'd crash out. If you want to do it for yourself then it's fine, but to criticize an opinion because it wasn't run in an extreme condition is absurd.

10. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

We've established the tires need adjustment on the road side, that's all so far. The oval side needs more work, but we're still trying to get someone to give us confidential information. Not easy.

11. Guimengo

Guimengo Guest

Try Dario Franchitti, the guy's super humble and great :p

12. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

He's not an engineer or a legal advisor for Ganassi.

13. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

The effects are canned, but you can get rid of them just by moving the sliders to off. The FFB without the canned effects is nice, but with that very strong centre spring effect you referred to. I find it overdone, others like it. Unfortunately, there is not an adjustment for that part of the FFB in AC (at least in the UI).

14. Empty Box

Empty Box Registered

I'll put it this way : do you not think that is the way many people already saw rF2?

Sure, there were things that we look at and laugh, but at the same time I felt like they have pretty much explained exactly what is wrong with rF2. If you follow this sim you learn things you don't otherwise know and you get a solid experience, if you don't you get... that. Some will insist it's a good thing, while I'll instantly say that it's just rF2 being rF2's biggest enemy.

Just think of a simple example - we know why so much of the content looks terrible, it was done in the stone ages. Yet at the same time, to someone just getting into it - do you really think they care some car was done in 2009 and has had next to no updating to bring it up to spec?

When you are already running a ridiculous setup that would not work in race trim and the car can run over the grass with the left front like nobodies business, it's easy to say it's wrong. You can do whatever you want, but there is no way the car would ever behave like it does here regardless of setup. It's a flawed core experience, and anything you do is just a bandaid. And yes, I've spent a good bit of time tweaking and toying with the setup. Not sure though why the supplied setups (both of them) are symmetrical either.

As for that flawed core - Silly tire pressures, silly wings, silly track, missing car features (why do I keep mentioning this? Because it's important, and currently no cars here have anything other than brake bias and ARBs, the diff on the F1/esque cars need their stuff as well, and still nothing - so forgive me for not exactly being positive on that one) -

Also - fuel capacity in game is listed at 14.5 gallons max, according to the Indycar website it's a 19 gallon tank. Maybe they sneakily changed something somewhere along the line in the real car for 2014 and that info is no longer up to date, but probably worth double checking. I'll chuck that in the other thread as well just in case.

15. yifter

yifter Registered

What the f..gk makes 'Empty Box' so serious, we must talk about his views and opinions? His youtube channel? Any merits? Make up your own minds. Its ridiculous! (forgive me, im german)

16. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

hi Marc

yes , the times I've tried AC -logged 50hrs according to my steam stats
    ( not even updated the last few updates not even tried the multiplayer as pretty much given up on the title)
    I quickly turned off those awful ffb effects, but then the proper physics-linked effects are pretty much non existent and the tracks suppose to be laser scanned too just that elastic band effect (which does a decent job transmitting inertia etc but other effects even with the canned stuff off still feels canned) ......you can see my frustration.

p.s the hype of AC seems to be dying down now, I wish the best for the title & fans of it and hope it developes so I can enjoy it myself, but also suspect it's perhaps going to be one of those titles that does not offer "depth" thus lasting interest

Last edited by a moderator: May 29, 2014
  17. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

Did anyone mention the blue flags.

These need adjusting badly now with these cars you pass 3 blues too fast.

I also think 6th for pass works okay too with the right gearing just got to time it perfectly.

The car you should really try at Indy is the BT20 it is sublime oversteer lol :)

Hanging for the Eagle at Indy.

18. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

fantastic news, I hope the data is plentiful

19. Golanv

Golanv Registered

So... to summarize:
    DW12 seems to give mixed feelings, especially with the oval specs on the IMS oval. A real soap opera love/hate thing developing here, which is just silly as hell.
    In direct comparison to the reallife counterpart, it is obvious that the car is lacking alot of features/data to make it a realistic representation of the DW12.
    Yet its fun to race, since even the less skilled can keep it on the road and have a cleanish race, which can cloud the judgement concerning the realism, where as the Super Indy Fans raving about the injustice of the inaccuracies doesnt do any better at evaluating the car either.
    Very little objectiveness happening here. :rolleyes:

Reasons given for the mismatch; Lack of accurate Data, missing core features/data supporting the oval racing.

Personally I think that eihter the data was just total crap, like the stuff they give to Turn10 (hence the forza feel), or someone screwed up.
    In either case, very excited about the future of this car, its gonna be a hoot.

20. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered

I see your points, no doubt. Yes I do think many people already laugh at rF2, and a video such as ISR's will only confirm what those people already think.
    The emphasis is on mocking, nitpicking and pointing out every little error. Why not put on a different set of glasses instead?

I am not worried about people who already have decided that rF2 is "dated", "stupid", "ugly" and all that jazz. This is just what people do, they are fans of a different product, vastly superior to rF2 in every way just because they say so. My God is greater than your God. This is simply a waste of time.

I am however slightly worried about potential new customers being misinformed. Why put rF2 to its grave so soon, like so many reviewers are doing (not saying you do that)?
    What we have here is insane potential, because of the amazing physics that are already in place. Imo the cars feel better to drive than any other sim (did I just initiate fanboy mode here??:)).
    When the tyre models are updated, and real road + wet weather get sorted, things (for me at least) can't get much better.
    I just think many people completely ignore the fact that rF2 has some of the greatest physics in all of sim racing, and just get hung up on the fact that some features are missing/incomplete.
    Many reviewers don't do much to change this.

The cars and tracks are (as far as I know?) all being worked on to bring them up to date.

Every one who has posted in this thread are able to make up their own minds. This is not what this thread is about at all. We're not sheep, mind you.
    Remember to look at the title of a thread before you enter it. You can avoid a lot of threads you don't like that way. :)

Last edited by a moderator: May 29, 2014