Empty Box thoughts on indy

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Thrindil, May 26, 2014.

1. Phatboy

Phatboy Registered

Thanks for the setup Durge. Sub 40 is now the goal for today!

2. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

really looking forward to the update on the DW12

+contact patch updates,
    my guess is the (tire) contact patch update will cause the tires to "tip toe" under subtle traction loss

more noticeably on ovals , on road there's more of a sudden all out loss unless skill is being used to balance the sim car on it's very edge

I'm hoping his will be subtly noticed through the ffb also as it's physics linked to the tires etc

3. Guimengo

Guimengo Guest

I have only driven in the oval twice, on ISI server, and the second time with the better gearing from a sent setup I got to a very high 39.7. Could have been better if not for someone recovering from a crash when I was taking time off :p.

4. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

Fella this morning has a 5th gear does 238mph

3mph faster I cant work out he he does it.
    Did not offer his setup yet. p

He did mid 39.3's easy

smokin'

5. steviejb

steviejb Registered

I'm just going to cower in the corner, haha. I was happy being able to do .5's with the q set. 238? My brain hurts.

6. Blood-1

Blood-1 Registered

The comparison is really complicated by the often exaggerated weather effect on iRacing. There's probably a two second lap time swing in it. In default weather (78F/partly cloudy) the fastest laps are right around 39.4 (~229mph) with qualifying boost and no tow or about the same with race boost and the too easy to run in draft. I think solo it would be a struggle to get past 226. When the temperature is 10-20F lower and possibly with more cloud cover the fastest qualifying times put up have been 38.4s. (~234mph). Montoya did a 231 four lap average this year with the weather somewhere in the 50s to mid-60s and probably got up to around 232 (38.8) on his fastest lap. iRacing speeds are also inflated because the fastest lap is at the end of the 4 lap run when the fuel is lowest because the current tires don't drop off while in real life it's typically at the start, although that's only worth maybe 0.1s. (considerably more than that over a full fuel load though)

39.4 with no tow and the same boost as you race with in rF2 is definitely out there though. Nobody ran faster than 227.8 (39.5) with race boost all month no matter the weather or tow, and the fastest race lap was a low 225. (just under 40s)

Pretty sure the fastest recorded top speed this year was about 240mph as well.

7. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

Thanks that explained alot.

Well from all that then cars are too simply too fast hey, something for ISI to look at for next update.

You drop time in one sector it costs you the next 5 or so.
    I really like that about oval racing.

Formula Master when it was updated lost heaps at Indy PB was 40.61 ( 100% DRS no tow ) after update .3 or so slower.