Empty Box thoughts on indy

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Thrindil, May 26, 2014.

1. speed1

speed1 Banned

233 here, i haven't payed attention on as I was testing other things on but this number I can confirm with safety because I've seen randomly. It could even be 1-3 higher.

2. speed1

speed1 Banned

Possible, it is a kind of frustration in any case and no one would do that would be there not a little love, but I can say with safety, it is the wrong way.

What bothers me, people make videos public about everything and that is destructive and harmful to the product.

I don't understand the logic behind this doing because when I like something I want to help and the best for but don't make something public what seems inaccurate to me. Why i should do that when i know the product is in developement and the content has is first release. This forum is the right place to talk to the responsible.

My videos are not public, if anything, I'm just doing bug videos for developer and it looks for me not like helpfulness but struggle for attention.

Last edited by a moderator: May 26, 2014
  3. Empty Box

Empty Box Registered

The fastest lap turned in that run was like a 231.8 - I'd have to go dig it up, but it was a high 231. That was in nearly perfect conditions - it was a little bit warmer than ideal by the time that lap was turned, but still very favorable conditions. If it were a little cooler like earlier in the day when Montoya ran, a 232 lap would have happened, but still very close to perfect. Considering how much data from last year and testing and practice they get, I fully expect we will be able to turn lap speeds that are the same, and easily as well.

Worth pointing out however:
    "Additionally, the boost level has been increased from 130 kPa to 140 kPa for qualifications. The change in pressure adds about a 40 horsepower boost to the engines. It will return to 130 kPa for final practice on Coors Light Carb Day on May 23 and the race."

Straight from here. Pretty sure we have the Q boost and only the Q boost, which at 40 HP, is not insignificant in a car you drive flat out - which begs the question - if you can only have one boost level, why the one off otherwise unused level?

So there is potentially a myriad of problems :
    1) The car here is stuck in qualifying boost even for the race
    2) The car doesn't have qualifying boost, but yet still turns qualifying speed potentially due to broken aero (not uncommon to have a hole in the data, they say they only had one source on this car so could be likely)
    3) Wing angles reserved for qualifying and only qualifying can actually be run in the race reliably giving inflated speeds* when in reality they would be borderline impossible to drive in any sort of traffic.
    4) The guys whose jobs revolve around the month of May at Indianapolis are doing it all wrong. (Hint, it's not this one)

*I actually tried a setup with more realistic race wing angles, and it's so hilariously slow it's useless - if two cars hook up and don't race, you won't keep up with the 240+ MPH straight speeds in the draft as you go so ridiculously slow and because you are so limited down the straight, you are fairly slow in the corner as well. Again, you can easily just look at the car in qualifying and race and see the difference in wing angles they are that significant.

Come 50 to go, the Indy 500 was an all out sprint - everyone needed 1 stop regardless of fuel map or draft. Montoya turned the fastest lap of the race on lap 181 -
    00:39.9661

http://www.imscdn.com/INDYCAR/Documents/2988/2014-05-25/indycar-topsectiontimes-race.pdf

At that point, he was fully in the draft at the tail of the lead string trying to catch up, in absolutely ideal position to turn a very fast lap. Top speed (absolute max) was generally 225 for the car at the front of the line. So I hope to goodness we are in Q boost permanently, though again, why you would pick the configuration that isn't raced if you can only have one?

That coupled with the fact people are already going not just faster, but significantly so on the road course just makes me think something is seriously off here, "data" be damned. I've heard the aliens are thinking they can get into the 05s there, when the fastest laps were in the 10s. Not an insignificant difference at all, and conditions were not unfavorable IRL.

Shorting is the biggest troll out there, he's been banned from the AC forums, he should be banned (if he isn't already) the iRacing forums - really, just ignore whatever he says.

Last edited by a moderator: May 26, 2014
  4. Rich Goodwin

Rich Goodwin Registered

Personally, His tone while driving the Road version seemed to be "It's not quite what I feel is "Right" but hey, it's fun!"

But then on the oval side his tone flipped but to me he seemed dejected as if he really, really, really wanted to like it but it just didn't deliver in his eyes. At least he didn't just say "This sux, kthnxbye". At least he gave reasoning in his video and the post above.

Everyone can and should have an opinion. Mine is that I enjoy both versions greatly but maybe that's because I do not know much about the Indycar series in general.

5. MikeeCZ

MikeeCZ Registered

In here he is rather cool guy, perhabs he simply trully loves rF2 and dispices all who dont:) Altho i must quite agree with your last video about Indy (which doesnt happen often)
    I dont like how the Indy car drives, i only like how it looks (overlooking all the artists errors i found, overally its very good looking, the number of fantastic unedited screenshots only supports that)
    In my opinion all content released by ISI in last like a year looks miles better than iRacing, also sounds better

6. Black Dice

Black Dice Registered

I have hit 233 with the Racey set. I cant seem to break a 40 sec lap though. 40 even is my fastest

7. speed1

speed1 Banned

Quoting my self as i see i've forgotten to quote someone asking for. :rolleyes: 40 sec lap here to but that is not the max possible, neither for me nor for someone else. I just stopped there because i was tired yesterday night.

8. Empty Box

Empty Box Registered

We're talking average lap time, not top speed.

9. Miro

Miro Registered

Meh, sure as hell he is not a troll. The fanboys at the iRacing forums in the AC thread made him look like one but he certanily just voiced his opinion just as you do here. They jumped like hungry wolves over him there lol.

10. GTClub_wajdi

GTClub_wajdi Registered

I do like this car so who cares about what this guy thinks!Is he a real life racer?

11. Ronnie

Ronnie Registered

Says the one who told me I don't respect other's opinion. Nice. Carry on.

12. GTClub_wajdi

GTClub_wajdi Registered

I didn't say that I don't respect his opinio! I said I don't care:rolleyes:

13. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

See the release thread.

Sent using Tapatalk

14. 88mphTim

Or just for the name calling. Don't do that again. Also don't say 'ban me' again as it's almost as annoying.

Sent using Tapatalk

15. Bjørn

Bjørn Registered

But he was acting troll just now... Calling EB an idiot for no obvious reason.

EB brings up some valid question marks, with experience, with real world parallels/data. Completely inadequate to just wipe it off like that, branding him and idiot. Like Rich Goodwin said, he seems to really want to like it, but it did not deliver anything of what he expected, out of what he has seen in the real races the past few years.

16. 88mphTim

He stated his opinion of a person in an offensive way, as did EB by saying troll back. Feel free to talk about the software or the car. Each other, no. Find another forum.

Sent using Tapatalk

17. 88mphTim

Every question I feel is already validated by the first post of the release thread and also subsequent replies about us looking for otter comparative data sources. I'm not going to say it again.

Another thing nobody appears to care about but would actually affect things the most is the contact patch. That would be a core update.

Sent using Tapatalk

18. GTClub_wajdi

GTClub_wajdi Registered

Well, discussion over!

19. Bjørn

Bjørn Registered

Yeah... so questions are not wrong to be raised - at all... So sad people get so overly defensive and aggressive when their favorite sim gets some criticism.

The fate of a constantly evolving product I suppose.

20. speed1

speed1 Banned

Well that you can find anywhere where excessive love is represented. I got enough to have learned about, I just did not know as it would be in the virtual world.

You do not feel the blows but the hate I have experienced, and I have not even published videos. :rolleyes: