Introducing - the F3 FANATICS WORLD CUP!

Discussion in 'Online Racing Discussion' started by Nand Gate, Feb 14, 2014.

1. Nand Gate

Nand Gate Banned

It is just as important that mature adults compete and participate, as run it. As long as you are aware that paying drivers will come before you in the event of too many.

Some have paid the massive $5 donation. Thanks for helping out.

BB - it seems the payment goes to the Mrs? As long as you know ;)

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 25, 2014
  2. Jamie Shorting

Jamie Shorting Registered

Absolutely, no worries. :)

3. Nand Gate

Nand Gate Banned

Please feel free to ask any questions you have of the event!

4. deak1944

deak1944 Guest

"Driver circuit detail must be set to HIGH! DQ for any other detail setting." Why this?

5. Nand Gate

Nand Gate Banned

Hi there. This rule is so that all drivers have the same view and - most importantly - same objects in the race. Setting the circuit detail any lower, actually removes certain objects in the game from your view - however they can still be hit and kicked up into other drivers! Slightly quirky - but that is how rF2 works currently.

Good question! It is a pleasure to get to explain certain rule choices.

6. 1959nikos

1959nikos Registered

that means lesser cards cannot compete, perhaps take that in mind.

btw take that Sudanese child out of your signature please.

7. Nand Gate

Nand Gate Banned

It does not mean that at all. It means a single setting must be set to high. Owners of lesser cards can also turn down other options to compensate. It is a non-optional requirement, for obvious reasons.

Surely a league member with a website in his sig understands this? Does SR4L ALLOW different circuit detail settings in ''serious'' racing? Because that is totally absurd!

Edit: Removed reference to Sudanese. It is not an actual child down there. It is just a quote of something I said, humorously referencing the relative laziness and spend-thrift mentality of westerners who own computers (replete with internet connection), versus the potential resourcefulness of anyone looking for opportunity in a more difficult situation. I have compromised the quote as much as I am willing to. I hope you are not still offended. Please refer it to admin if you are. Personally, I believe in free speech, at least to the extent that humour and irony are allowed special dispensation. I do not believe it is offensive. I could also make jokes about god, Islam and Christianity if I so chose (I don't). If it truly does "offend" you (which I don't think it does) - be very, very careful going anywhere else on the internet.

Edit Edit: I ended up settling on a better one

Next time, please feel free to PM me about it, rather than bring it up in public, off topic. Cheers.

Happy to answer any more questions ;)

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 26, 2014
  8. Hectari

Hectari Registered

Is this specifically so that everyone can see the white posts? They are only visible for me with Track Detail set to Full.

Personally I don't like them, they are not historically accurate (too close to the track) and are just an unneccessary danger, especially if someone leaves one on the racing line through Masta, which is pretty common when people can't avoid them or don't have them visible(the only way you can tell is if their car doesn't interact with the post, but they can just deny it and there's no real way to enforce it, it is still possible to hit them and not observe an interaction when you can see them anyway). I agree with Niko, it's not fair to drivers who are struggling for a decent framerate with settings as low as possible already, High or Full track detail will cripple their performance. Better to set a level playing field lower down without posts I feel.
    I feel the same about the haybales, a driver clips them, drives on without crashing(usually doesn't though) and leaves them on the track for following drivers to deal with. This isn't Mario Kart :p

When it comes down to it, do you really want a race to be decided by track debris? Especially if someone hits the bales at Eau Rouge just after the race starts, it causes carnage. Not my idea of fun. Over at SR4L, DJC made a small update file for the track with a staggered grid, no white posts and no haybales. This was for our Historic F1 round recently, both races we didn't have a single incident at T1, it worked wonders for us, really great and no drama because of white posts with drivers going through Masta around 170mph :cool: I just think it's really important that the race starts go off without the problems you see all too often online in pick up races, also assuming that there will be no restarts so we get one shot at it.

9. Nand Gate

Nand Gate Banned

This is exactly why we are implementing this rule - doing what we can to make sure it is fair and all debris is viewed equally. I am not convinced that the requirement to set circuit detail to HIGH negatively affects fps in a major way, when compared to the potential gains/losses in other settings.

As far as I am aware (please advise) - at least I thought - that with all drivers set to high circuit detail, all debris and obstacles will be equally present for all drivers. By NOT having ppl on full detail, there are no posts to hit and/or avoid...? With no one BELOW HIGH settings, there is no invisible debris. Is this wrong? The goal is only to make it fair and equal. Alternative and better suggestions welcome. Saying the current idea has weaknesses is already something I know!!! ;)

EDIT: It would be nice to have the resources to make a new track for every rnd, removing noob obstacles. But I wont be doing that, and I doubt anyone else will either ;)

EDIT EDIT: With all due respect - ppl who are at minimum settings across the board and still struggling for fps should not be entering online comps!

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 26, 2014
  10. Jamie Shorting

Jamie Shorting Registered

[​IMG]

Sorry, scratch me off the list please. I wont' be able to make it. :)

11. Hectari

Hectari Registered

I knew someone would hit me with one of these shots :rolleyes:

If you look at more footage/photos you'll see that many posts are further back from the track edge. Yeah some are close but not many of them. With the way white posts are set out on our version they are all uniform, exactly the same distance from the track and it wasn't like that. Also, where are the haybales on the bridge?! I haven't seen any photos or footage that has them there, up the hill of eau rouge i've seen a photo that looks like it has them but most of the rest that i've seen don't show them.

12. Hectari

Hectari Registered

Ok I misunderstood the reason behind setting High, many times before people have talked about having at least High set to have white posts visible but they aren't visible for me at that setting. I've no idea about debris other than the white posts with regard to track detail settings.

Using DJC's mod of the track is just something to consider for this round only, you wouldn't need to create anything. Just a suggestion.

Also, this is a fun cup, why shouldn't someone be able to enter if they can manage to run online with all lowest settings and acceptable fps.. until they have to run settings that are detrimental to their performance? I see where you're coming from, I just don't agree.

13. Hectari

Hectari Registered

Also no one could join the server you had up and can't see F3 Fanatics. DD is running his server just now but is limited to 6 drivers.

Regarding the start time, 5am isn't great for me and i'm not likely to remain signed up if it stays like that, i'd miss many rounds, if it was a little earlier or a little later then i'd probably stay up or get up earlier for it. I'm only one though so don't change it just for me, i've no idea how many euros have signed up and how it suits them. The times are very good for US/Aus as it stands so it is what it is. This is one of the reasons I haven't donated yet, as the event is still taking shape, if I remain signed up I plan to chip in before round 1 kicks off as i'm sure some others do too, but you did make the donation 'optional' so don't be surprised if people want to try it out before they contribute, if they contribute at all.

Also with 10 rounds planned I think it could be better to use 10 different tracks, there are so many great ones that could be used. Will the group split be done randomly for each round or keep the same groups each week? I'm not sure I like the sound of the random approach, maybe we could have a pre-event qualifying where we split into a Group A/B? Or odds and evens and then the next round(if at the same track) could combine the top/bottom half of each group for a type of 'final' at that track. For instance if it's totally random, if there are 6 very quick drivers and 5 are in 1 group with 1 in the other, the one on his own could have a boring/lonely race while the others have a fiercely competitive race. Just some thoughts on if there is a better way to do things.

14. deak1944

deak1944 Guest

"Track Markers="1" // Extra track markers for turning and braking" The extra markers can be turned off in the player.PLR. Can this be done on the server side? I drive at the lowest settings to keep my fps at 120 with triple screens. That is why I will pass on these races.

15. Chefmark

Chefmark Registered

I have my own marks on the track that help me, I use some of the markers but I tend to use what works for me.

16. jjcook

jjcook Registered

sign me up....cookie(sr4l)

17. 1959nikos

1959nikos Registered

Youre right, my bad.

18. Nand Gate

Nand Gate Banned

Hectari, I am happy to move the time earlier, since you were one of the first in, and you were originally consulted on the time. It was moved later for another driver (RustyM) on the condition that it was alright by you.

How much earlier do you think you need it? You will note I have left notes up on the main post regarding you and the times. I gave you dibs weeks ago, and made a casual agreement. How many hours earlier do you need, dude?

19. Nand Gate

Nand Gate Banned

If you are part of a league, and want me to add your tags to your driver name, let me know.

20. Nand Gate

Nand Gate Banned

done