R9-290 or GTX-770 4GB ??

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ViSo, Nov 6, 2013.

1. Sergey Yashin

Sergey Yashin Registered

Yeah, I have Gigabyte radeon R9 280X and with rF2 maxed I get really poor performance... when game maxed and with 30 cars grid (10 Visible) I get about 30 fps average so if you mostly into rf2 you better go Nvidia....
    Anyways, I'm switching off to Assetto Corsa where fps is much much more and my GPU usage is always 98%.

2. gagipro

gagipro Registered

Rf2&gtx sure !!!

3. Catalysis

Catalysis Registered

Hi there, as a GTX770 4GB owner I feel I can contribute to this thread. Essentially I can run with everything maxed out and 20 car fields and no slow down whatsoever. I don't look at frame rates, because I am concerned with how smooth the game looks, which is a totally different measure, in my view.

Anyway, although earlier builds of rF2 worked pretty well with my GTX460 1GB, slow down issues were getting more and more apparent and I was basically no longer enjoying the sim. Now, with a 770 installed, all guns are blazing and, maybe most importantly of all, no graphic slowdown = much improved car control. It's basically a different sim with this card.

Now it maybe that the R9 290 does a good job, but here's some more evidence that a 770 is working like a champ. I'd definitely go for the 4GB version for a bit more in the way of future proofing.

4. DrR1pper

DrR1pper Registered

Hey Catalysis, would you mind sharing your results on here please. I was hoping to compare my 770 with yours if that's alright as i suspect mine might have a problem...(http://isiforums.net/f/showthread.p...-fault-with-my-gpu-please?p=225474#post225474)

Thanks!

5. Shamrock

Shamrock Registered

Sure, but at the settings given in your link? AMD can't do 3xAA. Only 2, 4, 4eq, 8 , 8eq, 16, 32 I can do 4xAA/16xAF?

Frames: 8099 - Time: 200009ms - Avg: 40.493 - Min: 27 - Max: 57

CPU: AMD Phenom II 955BE (stock)
    GPU: Sapphire 7850HD OC (oc to 1050/1450)
    Drivers: AMD 13.8 beta (and using Radeon Pro)
    Settings:
    1920x1080
    4AA/16AF (Quality) SMAA rocks!

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 18, 2013
  6. Adrian

Adrian Registered

We're doing the test using rfactors AA. Use level 3 in rf2 configuration.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

7. Catalysis

Catalysis Registered

Sorry I don't have any results to share FPS wise as I don't/won't evaluate performance in that way. That's a numbers game and I'm only interested in how smooth it runs to my eye, based on around 25 years of sim racing. Trust me, and others like Tim, when I say you should be seeing 20 car fields with all settings totally maxed out running butter smooth at all times, including from cockpit view at the back of the grid at race start and from any replay angle and in any collision situation, multiple car overtaking moves etc. , on any ISI car/track inc. Silverstone. Beyond a very basic level, FPS stats don't really tell you that. What you need to know, in my view, is does it run great on max detail with zero visual encumbrance at all times, to which my answer is a resounding yes.

In fact, I'd go as far to say that the 770 is the first card I've owned that has shown such consistently awesome performance when using maxed out settings on all current software in the entire time I've been simming, save for my ancient Rendition based card that was optimized for Indycar 2 - that was quite something back then . It is incredible how big an upgrade you can get from just buying a high end card these days. A few years ago you'd have had to think about a tandem CPU improvement too.

For the record, I am using an i7 960 at stock speed with 6mb Kingston Hyper X ram on an Asus Sabertooth motherboard - not cutting edge by any standard. The video card is the Gigabyte Windforce OC version of the GTX 770 with 4Gb VRAM.

Sorry to hear you're having problems. I read your original thread and would have thought your system more than capable of giving you superb results in any race sim. Is the problem only with rF2?

Another measure I would consider would be not to overclock your system in any way and see how that looks. I honestly don't think you need to overclock rF2 with your sort of setup and by trying it stock you can eliminate some of the other variables.

Also are your video drivers right up to date and not beta, plus when did you last defrag your hard drive?

8. Shamrock

Shamrock Registered

Then I will have to decline. It will conflict with Radeon Pro. :)

9. Led566

Led566 Registered

From this point of view and with my setup (triple 1280X1024, no multiview, no reflections, everything else maxed, RadeonPro Catalyst 13.11) my HD7950 performs equally well.

It handles everything without any problem.

So I'll delete FRAPS from my system and stay happy with AMD...until next upgrade of my system (when I'll get rid of all the AMD junk that I have) :p

On the other hand is undeniable that something wrong occurs when ISI graphics routines interacts with Radeon hardware.

Worth nothing to say that AMD is unresponsive: it is absolutely ISI duty to take care of that.

Maybe ask japamd (author of RadeonPro) how to do.

10. Tosch

Tosch Registered

My results:
    CPU:i5-2500K overlocked to 4.0GHz
    GPU: Palit GTX 670 Jetstream
    Driver version:331.65

2013-11-18 09:22:15 - rFactor2 (GPU @ 1137MHz , Mem 3055Mhz)default
    Frames: 11306 - Time: 200227ms - Avg: 56.466 - Min: 44 - Max: 75
    CPU load 90-100%

2013-11-18 09:30:37 - rFactor2 (prerendered frames = 1)
    Frames: 11454 - Time: 200357ms - Avg: 57.169 - Min: 45 - Max: 75
    CPU load 10-25%

2013-11-18 09:55:14 - rFactor2 (prerendered frames = 1, 2x Sparse Grid Supersampling)
    Frames: 9639 - Time: 200367ms - Avg: 48.107 - Min: 34 - Max: 62

2013-11-18 09:46:47 - rFactor2 (GPU @ 1228MHz , Mem 3348Mhz)MSi Afterburner overclock
    Frames: 12396 - Time: 200352ms - Avg: 61.871 - Min: 48 - Max: 82

GPU clock: 1228/1137 = 1.080
    Avg frames: 61.871/57.169 = 1.082

11. speed1

speed1 Banned

Yes. I've tested a lot but there is no go to max it out. The performance of the 290 is so good, it literally burns the image in the screen, just not with rf2.

The result of some tests with:
    5760x1080 - AF 16x - AA Level 8 - shadows high - shadow blur optimal - effects off - reflections off

Frames-8407, Time (ms)-200075, Min-27, Max-72, Avg-42.019

No matter what AF or AA setting i use the performance doesn't change but with those i've edit and highlighted on the top. Looks like rf2 struggles to handle shadows, effects and reflections the most with AMD's. The shadows also seem to be buggy while the best performance i get with off, low and high the medium and max setting is worse. The effects cause also stutter, even on off.

I'm aware of the fact the 290 is a new gpu and rf2 can't even handle the old gen AMD's but i would recommend the devs to get such a graphics card. The 290 is really awesome and worth the attention.

12. DrR1pper

DrR1pper Registered

ok Catalysis, well would you be willing to run a short test for me please like i did in my own thread with the gpu usage please? It appears that it could correlate with perceived smoothness (which is definitely missing/reduced compared to my 670).

Also, what graphical settings do you use in rf2 please?

13. maniac618

maniac618 Registered

Same card here and I agree with your post, everything is lovely, only thing (that ISI know about that needs fixing) is the tyre smoke slow down.

14. Catalysis

Catalysis Registered

Sorry, and I know this looks mean, but I never, ever get into FPS as that then starts a silly process in my head of why isn't it so and so and such and such FPS at certain tracks - I simply don't want to know. Smoothness is what matters to me and, may I respectfully suggest, is what should matter to you too. As I say FPS is just a numbers game and does not give a subjective view of things. FPS averages can skip over things like a sudden frame rate drop - to me minimums prove almost nothing either.

To give an example, I did actually did do an FPS test when I accidentally activated the relevant app in Assetto Corsa. As this gave an "on the fly" account of things, it demonstrated the quite significant frame rate drop people are seeing on the first Lesmo bend at Monza 66 when in replay mode, though still in the 40s/50s on my rig, with max details. Now, those average and minimum figures folks are posting on this thread would not show that at all. I rest my case.

For too long, in my opinion, there has been too much emphasis on average and minimum FPS. I say it tells you very little. What I need to know is what people are seeing in the real world. Unfortunately YouTube videos are no better as the FPS is largely a product of how the video has been put together and formatted.

Anyway, graphics are absolutely maxed out in every way on rF2.

Good luck.

Kind regards
    Chris

15. MoodyB

MoodyB Registered

Could I ask one of the guys that owns a Nvidia card & runs triple screens to post their results with Multiview off & on please?

I'm trying to work out how much of a fps hit SoftTH is causing me, as I'm debating whether to upgrade my cpu+motherboard, or buy 2 24" monitors.

( currently using 1x24" and 2x17"s at the sides with SoftTH )

16. Nuno Lourenço

Nuno Lourenço Registered

If you lowered details in GTX 470 you had concluded that smoothness its also possible in less powerful cards and its there that Fraps give a huge help to every player. You can have a smooth gameplay with 30fps if you have vsync on but that will give you a bad game experience if we talk about simracing because you won't feel the car in the time that you should. For example in my case a adjust settings the have minimum 50fps on grid with 20 cars. If i'm able to get that i know that the entire race will be fluid and over 60fps.

Since the beginning of beta i've seen several guys telling that physics are bad, and the car is "undrivable" and in the end they are playing with 40fps and stating that its more than enough. If people want to play any sim out there with less than 50/60fps the best thing to do i go to cinema and watch a movie because they won't be driving a car....

All of this to say that you are underestimating Fraps or any other tool that show the actual fps. All the test in the and that have a minimum of 45/50fps i'm pretty sure that are smooth enough to give a good feeling.

;)

17. Nuno Lourenço

Nuno Lourenço Registered

Why it will conflict? I had 6 Radeon cards on last 10 years and never understand whats so special with Radeon Pro. Its clearly not doing a miracle in AMD cards in this game and probably in other games its the same because if it make such huge difference we should be seeing reviewer using that to get more performance.

By the way, I'm sad because i prefer AMD cards but the reality is that in rFactor engine they become embarrassed by nvidia cards. For me its time to change side :p

18. Catalysis

Catalysis Registered

Well I agree with you, other than the evaluations of driveability that you mention are still subjective and, as with graphics, you can get frame rate drops at certain points, also affecting handling, which don't appear in any average or minimum FPS stats.

So let me go further, which I probably should have done but thought we were talking graphics here, and completely endorse what you say that my card upgrade has made the driving immensely better. We do tend to forget the influence old hardware can have on such things I agree.

19. paarma

paarma Registered

Stock GTX 670 @ 5760x1080

2013-11-16 19:24:18 - rFactor2
    Frames: 7332 - Time: 200094ms - Avg: 36.643 - Min: 27 - Max: 46

2013-11-19 04:01:31 - rFactor2 //Multiview on //
    Frames: 5744 - Time: 200188ms - Avg: 28.693 - Min: 21 - Max: 35

20. Shamrock

Shamrock Registered

rF2 would be asking the video card for multisampling, and I use SMAA in Radeon Pro. What's not to love about 8x graphics with performance of 4x?

Yes, I am sad too that AMD doesn't run properly with rF2. However, rF2 isnt' my only game on my PC. I currently have 11 games with a mix of racing, FPS, RTS, RPG, and arcade racing (NFS).

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 19, 2013